Automotive

Can I use a oil filter for a 1.6L in a 2.5L engine?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2018 7:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10214 posts
496 upvotes
Brampton

Can I use a oil filter for a 1.6L in a 2.5L engine?

I have extra 1.6L engine oil filters, fram tough guard, good up to 16,000km premium conventional oil. I want to use the tough guard oil filter in a crv, that uses synthetic oil. The crv only runs like 3,000-5,000km/yr between oil changes and doesn't run the full mileage of the synthetic oil. So would it be okay to use it in a crv? Would it cause any problems with oil pressure? The crv is a 2.5L I think.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
35 replies
Feb 11, 2018
890 posts
693 upvotes
As long as the oil filter is identical size it should be fine.

I drove 1,200 kms with a Toyota filter (for a Toyota - not a Lexus) in a Lexus. Filter was smaller and ended up all twisted but had no impact on engine. This is what happens when you buy a used Lexus vehicle from a Toyota dealer too lazy/stupid to install the proper filter when doing an oil change before putting a used vehicle for sale.
Last edited by TomLafinsky on Aug 10th, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Buy Less. Save More.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10214 posts
496 upvotes
Brampton
TomLafinsky wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 7:42 pm
As long as the oil filter is identical size it should be fine.
All honda/acura vehicles use the same size oil filter. So this filter would have the same size rubber ring seal that seats against the engine when it is screwed on.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Feb 11, 2018
890 posts
693 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 7:45 pm
All honda/acura vehicles use the same size oil filter. So this filter would have the same size rubber ring seal that seats against the engine when it is screwed on.
Then you are fine. Just make sure the two filters are identical in size when doing the oil change.
Buy Less. Save More.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1002 posts
811 upvotes
GTA
The Fram Tough Guard filters are an great choice. If it's the right one for your car, you should have no concern using them.

Use the Fram website and compare the oil filter part numbers for the two vehicles. If they're the same, then go ahead and use the old filters you have.

If not, spend the $10 and get the right one.

By the way, your CR-V has a 2.4 L engine.
Mar 4, 2013
400 posts
144 upvotes
Get the right oil filter for your engine. Even if the oil filter size and looks the same, the internals could be different, like surface area of the element (think oil pressure and volume), bypass valve, etc.

I had a car that was so picky on the oil filter that even using a non OEM filter would cause valvetrain noise on startup.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19741 posts
8323 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Damn man don’t nickel and dime on an oil filter. Spend a few dollars and get the exact one you need for your car.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7684 posts
4436 upvotes
Markham
Are we really jeopardizing an entire engine so we can save $8 on an oil filter? Am I reading this right?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2191 posts
1441 upvotes
derass wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 11:07 pm
The Fram Tough Guard filters are an great choice. If it's the right one for your car, you should have no concern using them.

Use the Fram website and compare the oil filter part numbers for the two vehicles. If they're the same, then go ahead and use the old filters you have.

If not, spend the $10 and get the right one.

By the way, your CR-V has a 2.4 L engine.
Fram makes the worse filters in the industry :facepalm:
Smash that like button!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8182 posts
805 upvotes
Check to see what filters both cars use. If both are Hondas, I'm guessing it's the same filter.

At one point I had a Honda, Acura, and Hyundai and they all used the same size filter. My infiniti didn't but the same filter was compatible anyways. So I would buy a case and use the same filter on the cars. It was quite nice not having to stock so many unique parts.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10214 posts
496 upvotes
Brampton
acheuk wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:57 am
Get the right oil filter for your engine. Even if the oil filter size and looks the same, the internals could be different, like surface area of the element (think oil pressure and volume), bypass valve, etc.

I had a car that was so picky on the oil filter that even using a non OEM filter would cause valvetrain noise on startup.
nasa25 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 9:09 am
Damn man don’t nickel and dime on an oil filter. Spend a few dollars and get the exact one you need for your car.
Anikiri wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 11:54 am
Are we really jeopardizing an entire engine so we can save $8 on an oil filter? Am I reading this right?
Ok. I went to CT and bought the correct oil filter. Fram ultra, which was on sale this week. The filter is a bit smaller than the filter I was thinking of using as a substitute. Ended up getting it basically for free anyway cause I fulfilled my spend $60 and get $15 back offer.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12943 posts
2478 upvotes
London
? But if the part number was the same (fram 1234) ,what’s the problem?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19741 posts
8323 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
6mthatch wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 1:05 pm
Fram makes the worse filters in the industry :facepalm:
Agreed. I just do a bulk order at rock auto for wix filters every few years.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Mar 4, 2013
400 posts
144 upvotes
Fram makes good filters too, their Ultra line is good.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)