Cell Phones

Can I use a Rogers sim on a Fido iPhone 4?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2013 7:13 am
[OP]
Mar 21, 2013
13 posts

Can I use a Rogers sim on a Fido iPhone 4?

Title says it all folks, I've read people who are on opposite sides of the spectrums for this so I'm kind of confused. Can I use my Rogers plan on an Fido iPhone 4? Some people are saying yes and some people no, so which is it?
13 replies
May 17, 2012
129 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Is it already activated and being used on Rogers?
[OP]
Mar 21, 2013
13 posts
the iPhone 4 is on Fido, so its being used as a fido phone as of now. Im wondering if I buy it, can I use my rogers sim on it right away or do I have to unlock it?
Aug 18, 2004
587 posts
1 upvote
You would have to unlock it. A Fido phone works on the Fido network which is owned but run separately from Rogers. A Rogers phone will not work on the Fido network anymore then a Fido phone will work on the Rogers network.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16560 posts
1004 upvotes
Niagara Falls
ashman wrote:
Oct 17th, 2013 9:59 pm
You would have to unlock it. A Fido phone works on the Fido network which is owned but run separately from Rogers. A Rogers phone will not work on the Fido network anymore then a Fido phone will work on the Rogers network.
I don't use iPhones but I thought the Fido phone actually worked on the Rogers network without the unlock. Just find a friend with a Rogers sim an plop it in to test it out. It's not going to hurt anything.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2013
13 posts
Well there's no shortage of Rogers iPhones on Kijiji so I'm just gonna stick to looking for one of those.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1932 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga
Evil Baby wrote:
Oct 17th, 2013 10:01 pm
I don't use iPhones but I thought the Fido phone actually worked on the Rogers network without the unlock. Just find a friend with a Rogers sim an plop it in to test it out. It's not going to hurt anything.
An iPhone that is bought from either Rogers or Fido will work on either network during initial activation. The phone will lock to the network of the SIM used when activating. That's why you can see ads in Kijiji that says the phone will work on Rogers or Fido. It only means they are selling a phone that has not been activated yet.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20876 posts
1873 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Oct 17th, 2013 10:01 pm
Not with an iPhone.
Jan 19, 2013
751 posts
67 upvotes
Surrey
madara wrote:
Oct 17th, 2013 10:12 pm
An iPhone that is bought from either Rogers or Fido will work on either network during initial activation. The phone will lock to the network of the SIM used when activating. That's why you can see ads in Kijiji that says the phone will work on Rogers or Fido. It only means they are selling a phone that has not been activated yet.
I can second this. I have bought many BRAND NEW iphones from fido and rogers, and upon initial activation you can activate it to either network, but it will lock to that network.
Aug 27, 2008
267 posts
9 upvotes
does that mean if someone factory reset the phone, it could work for either of those carriers?

i.e., an already activated fido locked phone that is factory reset, is now possible to be used with rogers?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44257 posts
3273 upvotes
Toronto
hyung wrote:
Oct 18th, 2013 2:08 am
does that mean if someone factory reset the phone, it could work for either of those carriers?

i.e., an already activated fido locked phone that is factory reset, is now possible to be used with rogers?
Nah i think it only applies for the very first SIM because it'll lock itself when it's first turned on.. Factory reset doesn't do anything in terms of resetting the carrier lock.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16560 posts
1004 upvotes
Niagara Falls
madara wrote:
Oct 17th, 2013 10:12 pm
Thanks for the clarification.