Shopping Discussion

Can a merchant require to record DL in their system to make purchase?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2015 6:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
36 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON

Can a merchant require to record DL in their system to make purchase?

I think the answer is probably no but i want get everybody's opinion about if should go back there and have it erased somehow or what should i do?
I was in the mall today in a jewellery store and we had a transaction that was just a little over a thousand dollars, was paying with my Visa and they wanted to see my id. I showed them my DL to compare the names as some stores sometimes ask(also just learned they can not require that if the credit card is signed).
While i was entering my pin, i saw them recording my driver license number in their system. I asked them not to but she entered it quickly and she kept on saying this is for our store only,this is internal only,etc...
I didn't want to make big deal out of it and sound like an as... near my wife while i was buying a gift for her, but i guess people use this kind of situations in their favour nowadays.
Now i am worried if they can use it in any way in the future, or if their system is jacked in the future.
I don't think they can legally require to record my DL number to purchase and i had the option to say "no" but it was one of those days that i didn't want to cause a scene and now i am worried.
Has this happened to anyone? Is this common practise with some sellers? Am i over-worried?
Should i go back to store and ask them to remove it(can't really be sure if they also store this info in a server somewhere after they received it today)
What would you guys if you were me?
24 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2012
1991 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If I was you I would've took a picture of said gift and went to another jewellery store to find the same thing or ask the jeweller to order/make the same one (I've taken an image of a specific jewellery item and a jeweller had it made for me at the same price), if you really wanted that specific item. I would've taken my license and left as soon as they started recording it...but this is just me.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17206 posts
1622 upvotes
Space for rent
Just walk. This isn't Russia.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2497 posts
1488 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
They cannot record your personal information unless it is specifically required to complete the transaction. A Driver's Licence number is not required to complete this kind of transaction. If they want to see your ID (in most cases it's against the CC merchant agreement) they can certainly ask, but since they now have your DL and your credit card number along with your address, they have enough personal information to cause problems should it be abused.

If you weren't happy with what they were doing, you could have left. I would have.

I would suggest making a formal complaint to the privacy commissioner in your province.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
36 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
Supercooled wrote:
Feb 26th, 2015 10:05 pm
Just walk. This isn't Russia.
Unfortunately, crooks,scammers..,they are in every country. Thinking that this kind of crimes only happen outside of Canada is delusional, i think.
Anybody else has an opinion about if this is common practise?
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
36 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
AFG786 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2015 10:04 pm
If I was you I would've took a picture of said gift and went to another jewellery store to find the same thing or ask the jeweller to order/make the same one (I've taken an image of a specific jewellery item and a jeweller had it made for me at the same price), if you really wanted that specific item. I would've taken my license and left as soon as they started recording it...but this is just me.
Unfortunately, it was for a watch and i can't replicate them :)
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
36 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
ALLCAPS wrote:
Feb 26th, 2015 10:11 pm
They cannot record your personal information unless it is specifically required to complete the transaction. A Driver's Licence number is not required to complete this kind of transaction. If they want to see your ID (in most cases it's against the CC merchant agreement) they can certainly ask, but since they now have your DL and your credit card number along with your address, they have enough personal information to cause problems should it be abused.

If you weren't happy with what they were doing, you could have left. I would have.

I would suggest making a formal complaint to the privacy commissioner in your province.
Very good advide ALLCAPS. I appreciate it. I should have too and made a mistake.
They didn't record the address but only the DL number and i used the pos machine to enter my pin. Do you think they can access my address info using these two tools?
For example, hotels swipe DL's and transfer that information to their system by swiping(i think reading from the stripe in the back). But they haven't swiped it, they recorded the DL number. So wondering, if they can transfer that info and access the address info as well.
(Kind of turned into a technical question now, i guess)
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3758 posts
1148 upvotes
markham
alico416 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2015 9:46 pm
I think the answer is probably no but i want get everybody's opinion about if should go back there and have it erased somehow or what should i do?
I was in the mall today in a jewellery store and we had a transaction that was just a little over a thousand dollars, was paying with my Visa and they wanted to see my id. I showed them my DL to compare the names as some stores sometimes ask(also just learned they can not require that if the credit card is signed).
While i was entering my pin, i saw them recording my driver license number in their system. I asked them not to but she entered it quickly and she kept on saying this is for our store only,this is internal only,etc...
I didn't want to make big deal out of it and sound like an as... near my wife while i was buying a gift for her, but i guess people use this kind of situations in their favour nowadays.
Now i am worried if they can use it in any way in the future, or if their system is jacked in the future.
I don't think they can legally require to record my DL number to purchase and i had the option to say "no" but it was one of those days that i didn't want to cause a scene and now i am worried.
Has this happened to anyone? Is this common practise with some sellers? Am i over-worried?
Should i go back to store and ask them to remove it(can't really be sure if they also store this info in a server somewhere after they received it today)
What would you guys if you were me?
you should report this practice if it happened to you, to the credit card company..
As a merchant that accepts credit cards..we were recently forced to "comply" with a an agency for fraud protection (the agency is owned by the 4 big CC companies)..they question about data gathered , stored and how transactions take place..then your compliance (or insurance) is rated upon the answer given..although it didn't pertain to me , as i don't keep any record of customers personal info, there were strict parts in it about gathering and storing such info.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7731 posts
1354 upvotes
The MC and VISA merchant agreement in canada prohibit making showing ID a condition of using the card. Definitely shouldnt be recording it. If It was MC I can give you an email for some at MC head office who will look into that. In fact the privacy commissioner who have an issue over it being recorded
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
36 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
Will definitely do as i think it is my social(and maybe legal) obligation.
I just sent an email to privacy commissioner and i will act based on their recommendations because they may recommend something else to do before your recommendation.
Because if i do what you say now, CC company may investigate the situation (if they care) and the merchant may hide the information that they obtained.
It is partially my fault too because i could have insisted to have it erased but didn't want to cause a scene. It is amazing how some people put you in a spot...
Since now i am sure about worrying, should i go to the store and ask them politely to erase it or should i call 911, :D ?
How would anybody proceed from now on to prevent them doing something with it in the future? Any ideas?
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
36 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
zoro69 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2015 11:16 pm
The MC and VISA merchant agreement in canada prohibit making showing ID a condition of using the card. Definitely shouldnt be recording it. If It was MC I can give you an email for some at MC head office who will look into that. In fact the privacy commissioner who have an issue over it being recorded
Thank you Zoro. i just learned that rule while i was searching for this case in google and will keep that in mind. It as from my Visa and i will contact the Visa too.
Can't believe how an alert person like me make a mistake like this :facepalm:

And since all these RFD'ers think that i am right in worrying, i won't have hesitation tomorrow.

Any body else have different opinion?
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
36 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
Googled the privacy commissioner and wrote them an email just now and i will report it to my bank and credit card company after i get response from the commissioner.
Not sure if RFD lets me copy a link to the "contact us" section of the commissioner's web site. But here it is;
https://www.ipc.on.ca/english/About-Us/How-to-Reach-Us/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5451 posts
1620 upvotes
Space
I don't get why you are worried. They can't do a single thing with your license number. If your that worried, go to the MTO and pretend like you lost your card.
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
36 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 12:42 am
I don't get why you are worried. They can't do a single thing with your license number. If your that worried, go to the MTO and pretend like you lost your card.
So they will issue me a new card with the same information,numbers,etc.. What will change?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5451 posts
1620 upvotes
Space
Refer back to the first sentence in that post.
alico416 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 12:55 am
So they will issue me a new card with the same information,numbers,etc.. What will change?