Shopping Discussion

Can a merchant require to record DL in their system to make purchase?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2015 6:48 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5454 posts
1625 upvotes
Space
Refer back to the first/second sentence in that post.
alico416 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 12:55 am
So they will issue me a new card with the same information,numbers,etc.. What will change?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
751 upvotes
Vancouver
zoro69 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2015 11:16 pm
The MC and VISA merchant agreement in canada prohibit making showing ID a condition of using the card. Definitely shouldnt be recording it. If It was MC I can give you an email for some at MC head office who will look into that. In fact the privacy commissioner who have an issue over it being recorded
if it's not a chip card, how will store know the card is yours, not stolen?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14020 posts
4013 upvotes
Here 'n There
So every time you're uncomfortable doing something or it's a violation of your personal privacy you comply anyway because you don't want to 'create a scene'?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7738 posts
1361 upvotes
they can compare signature.

"5.8.4 Additional Cardholder Identification
A Merchant may request but must not require a Cardholder to provide additional
identification information as a condition of Card acceptance,
unless such information is
required to complete the Transaction, such as for shipping purposes, or the Standards
specifically permit or require such information to be collected.
A Merchant in a country or region that supports use of the MasterCard Address Verification
Service (AVS) for MasterCard POS Transactions may require the Cardholder’s ZIP or postal code
to complete a Cardholder-Activated Terminal (CAT) Transaction, or the Cardholder’s address
and ZIP or postal code to complete a mail order, phone order, or e-commerce Transaction."

http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/p ... public.pdf

page 83-84 are the relevant acceptance rules

The card companies don't want things happening that will discourage using their cards, but also don't see ID'ing as risk reduction being much of the fraud has happened by info stolen at the time of use
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
36 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
Solsearchin1 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 12:57 am
Refer back to the first/second sentence in that post.
The new card will be the replication of the DL card i am cancelling including same DL number, same address, same birth date info.Therefore, doing that will not change anything if someone has the ability to access the other information on DL by swiping(like hotel managements do when you are checking in).
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
36 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
importpsycho wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 5:24 am
if it's not a chip card, how will store know the card is yours, not stolen?
It is a chip card,visa, has my name on it,showed my DL as proof(before i learned we are not required to show).
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
36 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
eonibm wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 8:09 am
So every time you're uncomfortable doing something or it's a violation of your personal privacy you comply anyway because you don't want to 'create a scene'?
eonibm; if you have read my post carefully, i stated that i don't do this generally and know my rights and "this was just one of those days that" i didn't want to create a scene while trying to create a happy moment,while buying a gift...
Do you never make mistake and admit your mistake and ask for a constructive opinion?
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
36 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
zoro69 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 12:58 pm
they can compare signature.

"5.8.4 Additional Cardholder Identification
A Merchant may request but must not require a Cardholder to provide additional
identification information as a condition of Card acceptance,
unless such information is
required to complete the Transaction, such as for shipping purposes, or the Standards
specifically permit or require such information to be collected.
A Merchant in a country or region that supports use of the MasterCard Address Verification
Service (AVS) for MasterCard POS Transactions may require the Cardholder’s ZIP or postal code
to complete a Cardholder-Activated Terminal (CAT) Transaction, or the Cardholder’s address
and ZIP or postal code to complete a mail order, phone order, or e-commerce Transaction."

http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/p ... public.pdf

page 83-84 are the relevant acceptance rules

The card companies don't want things happening that will discourage using their cards, but also don't see ID'ing as risk reduction being much of the fraud has happened by info stolen at the time of use
Zoro69; Thanks for the information and next time i won't be making this kind of silly mistakes even if it is a life and death situation( hypothetically :) )
But, i will go ahead with the advices i received and let my bank know about this,also let Visa know about this, let Equifax and Transunion know about this since i have monthly membership for their credit watch program.

Also, i would like to provide with some helpful links that someone may find helpful in the future about what a scammer can do with your DL information and recommendations about this topic;
(Information is from the USA's website but with technology nowadays, there is no difference between the countries.Crooks are everywhere)
http://www.idtheftcenter.org/Government ... cense.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/136120/article.html
http://manvsdebt.com/top-16-pieces-of-y ... ves-crave/
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams-fraudes ... ol-eng.htm and this one is from the RCMP website and i will be following their advice as well.
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
36 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
Also i received response from the Privacy Commissioner of Ontario.They were amazingly prompt with the response but unfortunately, they are shooting me to some other department called OPC and i will follow up with them.

Thank you for contacting the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC). Please consider the following information in response to your inquiry.
Ontario’s Access to Information and Privacy Laws
Except for the full health sector, Ontario's current privacy legislation only covers the municipal and provincial government sectors. The IPC oversees three legislative Acts including The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), and The Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA).
· The FIPPA applies to all provincial ministries and most provincial agencies, boards and commissions, as well as to universities and colleges of applied arts and technology.
· The MFIPPA covers local government organizations, such as municipalities, police, library, health and school boards, and transit commissions.
· The PHIPA governs the collection, use and disclosure of personal health information within the health-care system

The IPC does not have jurisdiction over commercial operations. A federal privacy Act, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), covers commercial operations in Ontario and six other provinces. The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPC) is the oversight agency for PIPEDA. To learn more about PIPEDA, please visit: www.priv.gc.ca or call the OPC at 1-800-282-1376 to discuss your concern.

I hope this general information will be of assistance to you. While we cannot provide you with legal advice, we make every effort to assist you. Should you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

I hope this information helps to anyone in the future.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
404 upvotes
You may wish to review these guidelines developed by the Privacy Commissioner of Canada: https://www.priv.gc.ca/information/pub/guide_edl_e.asp. Collection of Driver's License Numbers Under Private Sector Legislation. A Guide For Retailers

If you wish to make a complaint, which I think you should, you should complete the form found on the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Ontario's website here: https://www.ipc.on.ca/english/Resources ... ry/?id=208.