Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: Can the mods stop being so.. erm... StricT??

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2005 8:05 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18146 upvotes
ONTARIO

Can the mods stop being so.. erm... StricT??

Might have been an isolated incident but look at this.

[IMG]http://img29.echo.cx/img29/6316/commy1wl.jpg[/IMG]

So mods are allowed to remove comments from arguements taht they feel are not valid?

I know ppl can have SHlTTY pointless arguements, but whos to really judge that?
What 1 person can find valid another can find invalid... What if the mod just looked down upon his ideas even tho they might have been valid?

It woulda been a different story if the argument was sexist, threatening, or racist, but in this case i think its just something that mod didnt like.

discuss.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
Kind of hard to judge without knowing the full context.

What if KennyX wrote some obvious flamebait, and freethebees was attacking him for it? That would warrant that kind of modding.
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
10 upvotes
Funny you were asking the mods yourself to delete threads you started that made you look like a fool. Maybe they should re-open those threads.
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
67 upvotes
Removed.
Back for a limited engagement.
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
10 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:I never asked for threads of mines to be removed.......
Oh sorry, I mistook you for divx.

You're just mad because they ruined your LED business right? :cheesygri
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2002
3914 posts
6 upvotes
I agree with UrbanPoet for the most part. However, I wouldn't paint all the mods with the same brush, which is really unfair. And calling them "nazi's" might be stepping over the line. I have no idea which of the mods removed those comments by KennyX and freethebees, but I think the deletion is a form of censorship that is uncalled for in a forum such as this. Unless, as stated earlier, the comments were blatantly racist, sexist, or some other inappropriate "ist". :D

But as Carnage stated, it would be good to know the context in which the offensive comments were made.

As an aside, I finally figured out why I like your avatar so much, UrbanPoet. It's not because it's serene. It's because, if you look really closely, it reminds me of a woman's behind. :D
My DVDs for sale

"I want you to step back from the guacamole dip! I want you to put the chicken fingers down!"

U2 360 Tour in Vancouver, 2 Tickets for sale http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/pair ... -a-805801/
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18146 upvotes
ONTARIO
Rometiklan wrote:I agree with UrbanPoet for the most part. However, I wouldn't paint all the mods with the same brush, which is really unfair. And calling them "nazi's" might be stepping over the line. I have no idea which of the mods removed those comments by KennyX and freethebees, but I think the deletion is a form of censorship that is uncalled for in a forum such as this. Unless, as stated earlier, the comments were blatantly racist, sexist, or some other inappropraite "ist". :D

But as Carnage stated, it would be good to know the context in which the offensive comments were made.

As an aside, I finally figured out why I like your avatar so much, UrbanPoet. It's not because it's serene. It's because, if you look really closely, it reminds me of a woman's behind. :D
AHAHAH OMGOSH!! YOU ACTUALLY GOT IT!!

but yes yes.. It just seemed like the mod got mad b/c it was some circular arguement.. (it happens even if both sides have good strong and soundly arguments)

and then he abused his power and deleted the comment by saying "This is an Invalid argument"

So im guessing the argument was just something 'stupid' which is hard to judge, or something he didnt agree with.
itd be different if he said something like 'No flame war starting!' or 'no racism' etc

THis kinda bugged me b/c i noticed alot of OFftopic threads being locked... but the thing is.. its an offtopic section, anythign goes :|
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2002
3339 posts
28 upvotes
West Coast
[QUOTE]THis kinda bugged me b/c i noticed alot of OFftopic threads being locked... but the thing is.. its an offtopic section, anythign goes [/QUOTE]

On the contrary, this isnt a free for all forum. Lots of other forums for people to carry on with that type of immature behaviour. I'm sure d4me had his reasons for editing the thread. This is a family forum afterall, anything highly objectionable can and will be removed.

by the way, whats with the Nazi comment?
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2003
1825 posts
2198 upvotes
Markham
JayPatel wrote: I'm sure d4me had his reasons for editing the thread... by the way, whats with the Nazi comment?
When you write it like that, it looks like "dame" :D

But yeah, why nazi? that's really wrong. The mods do their best to do a good job here, and really don't deserve to be called that (though I'm sure you only meant to try and sum up how you felt in an easier to understand word, and not be offensive).

Looking at Kornstar's reply, it does seem like freethebees probably wrote something inappropriate towards KennyX and was deleted for that reason. They were probably attacking each other personally, as something seems to have been deleted from both their posts.

Bah weep granah weep nini bong
HEAT: Link!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18146 upvotes
ONTARIO
sorry for the Nazi comment. :o *red* i take that back. But it did seem really wrong when you first look at it....

but when i saw it @ first and saw that a comment was deleted for 'not being valid' i thought "Oh Noes... our comments are being tightly watched and regulated"
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4797 posts
239 upvotes
Austin/Markham
nazi's were/are bad for the environment.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
1440 posts
71 upvotes
Calgary
I know it may not look this way but I remember removing what was in the quotes but I didn't modify freethebee comments, those were already there. I guess I should switch colours when modifying threads now, I've noticed more people is using purple.
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
1 upvote
Although I can see a lot of threads need to be moderated.. for a while now I've been wishing the mods would more often just stay out.. it's one thing to moderate vulgarities out and deleting some threads... but it's another to continuously jump into conversations and edit out what people think.

Of course I understand this is a private site and you can do whatever the heck you feel like doing.. but I would like to put a vote up for minding your business.. stick to staying in the shadows editing and deleting where appropriate.. and stop butting in.

Listen or don't.. but the site is only what it is because of the users.. without users cooperation there honestly would be no RFD.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2003
4243 posts
26 upvotes
Strathroy, ON
v00d00 wrote:Although I can see a lot of threads need to be moderated.. for a while now I've been wishing the mods would more often just stay out.. it's one thing to moderate vulgarities out and deleting some threads... but it's another to continuously jump into conversations and edit out what people think.

Of course I understand this is a private site and you can do whatever the heck you feel like doing.. but I would like to put a vote up for minding your business.. stick to staying in the shadows editing and deleting where appropriate.. and stop butting in.

Listen or don't.. but the site is only what it is because of the users.. without users cooperation there honestly would be no RFD.
Althought they lock most of my polls and threads that I'm trying to prove a point in, I understand (most of the time) why they do. They can't let things escalate and they should not stay in the shadows. Infact, they should do more. If they have to edit your post, you should be suspended for a day or two. If we stop being so rude, they wouldn't have to edit our posts.
Power.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
1440 posts
71 upvotes
Calgary
Hurk wrote:If we stop being so rude, they wouldn't have to edit our posts.
Thank you, somebody understands. :cool:
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2003
4243 posts
26 upvotes
Strathroy, ON
dealforme wrote:Thank you, somebody understands. :cool:
I understnad, but unfortunately I'm probably still going to make stupid ass threads that may get out of hand. I can't promise I will stop that, but I will try to not attack other RFD'ers in the meantime. :)
Power.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
3055 posts
90 upvotes
Everybody just shut the *removed* up!
Seize the Day!
Banned
Aug 3, 2003
970 posts
2 upvotes
Dealforme is the worst for locking and editing threads that are fine. He needs to go to "Forum Moderating 101"
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
1440 posts
71 upvotes
Calgary
Kazaam wrote:Dealforme is the worst for locking and editing threads that are fine. He needs to go to "Forum Moderating 101"
Why am I not surprised by this response? :confused: