• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 10:05 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 17, 2009
227 posts
1 upvote

Can my baby be baptized if.......

Can my baby be baptized if I didn't go through the annulment of my first marriage? I am divorced I remarried for a second time and this is my wife's first marriage. We are both catholic.
5 replies
Oct 6, 2015
792 posts
400 upvotes
The key here is don't tell the priest everything about your past. There is no big central repository of records. The priest can't just go to a computer and "look up" your 'status' in the "Church". In fact, just leave your first marriage out of the conversations with the priest altogether. Having said that, I hear they're a lot less strict these days, as baptism is a sacrament taken by the child, and your "sin" should not reflect upon the ability on such baptism.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13191 posts
666 upvotes
Can your baby be baptized? Of course. In your church? I cannot answer that.
May 12, 2014
873 posts
348 upvotes
Montreal
9. Can our child be baptized if we're not married?

Not married in the Church? Your child's Baptism and your marriage are two separate issues. Your marital status may be discussed during your Baptism interview to encourage you to get married (or validate your marriage in the Church) if this is appropriate. However, as long as you are committed to raising your child as a Catholic, he/she may celebrate the Sacrament of Baptism and be welcomed into the Catholic Church

https://www.archtoronto.org/our-catholi ... ls/baptism