Automotive

Can my son drive my car if he doesn't live with me?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2016 11:12 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2007
1126 posts
654 upvotes
Mississauga
gibor365365 wrote: if he is not living with me
Doesn't really apply because he IS living with you according to his license. You're his parent. Address on his driver's license is your address. I'm sure it's been that way for a long, long time. If there is no record of a change of address, do you think the insurance company is going to take your word that he's not regularly at your home (even if it's true?) They're going to say that if he changed his address, there should be a record of it on the license. And if he didn't change the address he never actually moved. He was living with you all the time (he still has a room full of stuff, right?)

Best case scenario, you go through a very long battle to prove that he's not living with you. That you very easily might still lose because according to the Ministry, he lives with you.
Jan 27, 2009
88 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
gibor365365 wrote: He doesn't have any policy because he doesn't have any car.
From my understanding , if he is not living with me, he can be considered occasional or guest driver and driving under my insurance.
from http://www.ibc.ca/bc/auto/risk-management/lending-a-car

or
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dr ... le4452856/

However, if for example, my mother lives with me and has driving license, I need to mail excluded driver doc to insurance company and she just CANNOT drive my car.

You are completely correct. Nobody in this forum is an expert. And I am not either, you want absolute certainty then get an "expert" 3rd party opinion. I.e. Call a lawyer, ask for a 30 minute phone consult, would cost you $100-200. But worth the piece of mind.

So my experience, simply put, anyone can be an occassional driver as long as long as they don't live at the home of the principal policy. This isn't about home address on license, or per the cra etc. ...this is where they actually LIVE.

If a son leaves home to live in Waterloo and comes back home for the weekend, and drives to 7/11 to get milk, gets into an accident, your insurance would cover him...just as if a house guest comes over, who is a licensed driver but has no insurance, gets into an accident with your car, they would be covered by your policy...your car insurance policy covers all occassional drivers.

Like I said, I am not an expert. Consult a lawyer.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12390 posts
6571 upvotes
Vaughan
OP, insurance companies have a discount typically 50% off that applies to your specific situation. It's called Student Away discount.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
In my case, my daughter is on our policy while away at school. we didn't want to pay for a year's worth of insurance when she'd only be at home occasionally during school plus summers. We have similar situation where we're in the GTA and she's in Waterloo.

They said that their policy is that she can only be removed from the policy if she lived more than 200 kms away from us. In our case we got a discounted rate instead of a full premium if she lived with us and went to school permanently.

OP should contact the insurance company directly and not rely on the broker's general advice. Brokers are great, but they don't always know every little nuance of insurance company policies, especially if they represent several companies.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Just keep them on your policy to allow them to build up their insurance history, otherwise cutting them off will leave a gap and not help them in the long run.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
3051 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga
[QUOTE]They said that their policy is that she can only be removed from the policy if she lived more than 200 kms away from us. In our case we got a discounted rate instead of a full premium if she lived with us and went to school permanently.[/QUOTE]

They mislead you, even if anybody lives in your home, you may exclude them (and not to pay premium) by filling out OPCF 28A. In this case 100% excluded drivers cannot drive your cars. Our insurance company has policy of 70km from home, so Waterloo is fine :) . In case kids don't live with you (70km or 200 km in your case, probably depends on insurance), insurance company doesn't require OPCF 28A and just making a note on your file. The only question is , if in this case kids may occasionally , let's say one in a couple of months to drive your car.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
3051 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga
kenchau wrote: OP, insurance companies have a discount typically 50% off that applies to your specific situation. It's called Student Away discount.
There is no such discount in our company (it exists in others like State farm or RBC) and if i add my son to our insurance the premium goes up by $77 (probably because he's under 21 or maybe 24 yo is a threshold), so to pay additional 1K worth it if he gonna be driving at least once per week , and that's simply impossible...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)