• Dec 8th, 2018 6:32 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17273 posts
2100 upvotes
Langley

Can my wife write me a $30k personal cheque? Simplii Financial

My wife has come into a bit of money due to her role in a successful kidnapping/extortion scheme. She's going to max out her TFSA and then we want to transfer about 30k to max out mine. She can't transfer direct from her Simplii account to my Questrade account, something we learned the hard way, not long ago. Can she just write me a personal cheque? I thought there was a $10k max on personal cheques but I can't find any indication of that despite scouring Simplii's site. We both bank with them but have individual accounts, nothing joint.

TIA.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3281 posts
2794 upvotes
Vancouver
i6s1 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 12:33 pm
My wife has come into a bit of money due to her role in a successful kidnapping/extortion scheme.
Suitcases full of $100 bills is how most people in your situation would handle this. Bitcoin is pretty popular too.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Nov 23, 2018
38 posts
22 upvotes
I did the e-mail money transfer and receive the fund instantly.
But for $30k, might take a couple of days to get them all transferred. Beats getting hold for a week though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5725 posts
2910 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
BRKAMZN wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 2:31 pm
But for $30k, might take a couple of days to get them all transferred. Beats getting hold for a week though.
I can only do so much per day, and I think it would take me far longer than a week to do $30K worth.
Nov 23, 2018
38 posts
22 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 3:00 pm
I can only do so much per day, and I think it would take me far longer than a week to do $30K worth.
I can squeeze through $10 a day. I guess everyones' security level differs.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5725 posts
2910 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
BRKAMZN wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 3:19 pm
I can squeeze through $10 a day. I guess everyones' security level differs.
I'm pretty sure that would be the exception, not the norm.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17273 posts
2100 upvotes
Langley
BRKAMZN wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 2:31 pm
Yeah, I looked into that.

"Is there a limit on how much money can be sent or received by INTERAC e-Transfer?

Each individual INTERAC e-Transfer® must be for a minimum of $0.01 and a maximum of $3,000. The limits for sending INTERAC e-Transfers® are as follows:

For any 24-hour period, a maximum of $3,000 may be sent
For any 7-day period, a maximum of $10,000 may be sent
For any 30-day period, a maximum of $30,000 may be sent
"
Nov 14, 2014
29 posts
11 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
You can write a cheque up to $25,000,000.00 so you're good for a whole lot more kidnapping/extortion schemes!
May 8, 2009
7433 posts
3460 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
OP, since you and SO both bank with Simplii, you should add a new joint chequing account. That way, she can move $30k internally from her separate account into joint account. Then you can move the $30k out of there.

Simplii is a beast. You can have as many accounts as you want, and they can be separate or joint to whichever other account holder you want.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
1197 posts
384 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 12:33 pm
My wife has come into a bit of money due to her role in a successful kidnapping/extortion scheme. She's going to max out her TFSA and then we want to transfer about 30k to max out mine. She can't transfer direct from her Simplii account to my Questrade account, something we learned the hard way, not long ago. Can she just write me a personal cheque? I thought there was a $10k max on personal cheques but I can't find any indication of that despite scouring Simplii's site. We both bank with them but have individual accounts, nothing joint.

TIA.
Did she really do the extortion? If she did, then you must be a honest person. You could have said she inherited some money.
May 31, 2018
123 posts
173 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Is money acquired through kidnapping/extortion deemed to be earned income for CRA tax purposes? Or is it more like lottery/gambling winnings?

Or is it reCapture? Heh, see what I did there...capture...kidnap...

I'll go get some coffee...
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18917 posts
1340 upvotes
Dunno where you heard there is a 10K max on personal cheques. The economy would grind to a halt if that was the case.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1726 posts
926 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
FarmerHarv wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 7:04 am
Is money acquired through kidnapping/extortion deemed to be earned income for CRA tax purposes? Or is it more like lottery/gambling winnings?

Or is it reCapture? Heh, see what I did there...capture...kidnap...

I'll go get some coffee...
There shouldn't be any tax due. In fact the wife should register as a charity and give out a donation receipt post-extortion so the victim can claim it and have more to extort next year.
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork