Automotive

Can police do speedtraps wherever they please?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2011 7:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--

Can police do speedtraps wherever they please?

I'm just asking because i only see them in the same places. Never anywhere different. Knock on wood I've been driving for 6 years and never gotten a single ticket ;) .
15 replies
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote: I'm just asking because i only see them in the same places. Never anywhere different. Knock on wood I've been driving for 6 years and never gotten a single ticket ;) .
They can probably set up wherever they want, but will most likely set up shop where they know they'll nail the greatest amount of speeders in the least amount of time. They may also set up in school zones where they can give you heftier fines.
May 27, 2007
16088 posts
4769 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote: I'm just asking because i only see them in the same places. Never anywhere different. Knock on wood I've been driving for 6 years and never gotten a single ticket ;) .

Yes. Anywhere within their jurisdiction (division).
But usually every officer has his/her favourite/frequent spot.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
It seems odd to me that in my eyes theyre clearly visible (mind you I drive at night mostly so the reflection of my headlights hits their reflective markings).

I see people pulled over all the time and i just think to myself that the person must be looking at the floor of their car to not see the cop clearly there. But that's me...
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3553 posts
87 upvotes
Why wouldn't they be able so set a speed trap anywhere they want? :confused:
RFD OT: Serious answers to stupid questions.
RFD Definition of 'troll': Someone whose opinion you don't like.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6354 posts
1013 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If they want to setup on a driveway, the owner can ask them leave.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty much except on private property. I say use common sense and look well ahead. They like to target zones like school areas, places where the speed limit changes from, say, 80 to 60 quickly, etc. If you look well ahead you can spot them standing near the tripod holding the laser gun. Very easy to spot when there's little pedestrian traffic. Of course you could not speed at all but then again who drives the limit anyway aside from the beige Corolla owners.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
^^ I have seen them on private property many, many times. Typical one is set on Sheppard W... just east of Bathurst, where there is a bridge in which the cop always uses the apartment building's service entrance area (actually parked near where the garbage bin is) and spot himself right near some bushes/trees as to hide. If you don't drive there often, then you won't expect it.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately we live in a world where cops can do whatever they want.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
They usually do it in areas they are not easily seen from a distance. Popular spots are on either side of a hill where you cannot see them as you come over the hill but they are down in the valley waiting for you behind some trees or a building having already clocked you at the top of the hill.

At some of these hills the speed limit changes suddenly on the other side of the hill giving you little time to slow down. Airport Road and Thamesgate? comes to mind.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
i believe private property owners can ask them to leave... but i doubt many exercise this right
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2276 posts
809 upvotes
Etobicoke
You have the right to ask the officer in court if they have written permission from the property owner where they were doing the trap. I've heard people who have won in court with this tactic.
I have seen cops setup speed traps in a place for 2 hours and just leave. Last time i was pulled over for speeding on Bathurst and 407 in 9 years driving from work and back in Bathurst that was the first and last time I saw a cop do a radar trap. Still got the ticket though :(
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
Police have guns & tasers. Remember G8. I would not even questionable them at all.
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
liorsyncro wrote: Pretty much except on private property. I say use common sense and look well ahead. They like to target zones like school areas, places where the speed limit changes from, say, 80 to 60 quickly, etc. If you look well ahead you can spot them standing near the tripod holding the laser gun. Very easy to spot when there's little pedestrian traffic. Of course you could not speed at all but then again who drives the limit anyway aside from the beige Corolla owners.
LOL, this is so true. If I'm pulling up to a light, and there is one car in each lane waiting for the light to turn green, I will always avoid the lane with the corolla because I know they'll drive unbelievably slow.
Mar 17, 2010
600 posts
27 upvotes
behind your left sho…
They cannot radar on private property - unless they have permission from the owner...

Remember that "road" goes from fence to fence (not restricted to pavement surface only). When no physical fence exists, count 15 ft away from the road's edge. Call it the ditch area. Since most cars are 10-12 ft long, they can legally sit on the end of the private property driveway and do their radaring. After all, the owner of the home's driveway doesn't own that 15 ft (or perhaps 12 feet in compressed town) area of land.

Also... Do remember that cops are not evil people and will NOT ticket you for going over a few minor KMs. Simply stay under 10% the posted max (like 44 in a 40 or 88 in an 80) and they leave you alone. Unless, they don't like something about your driving style. I stay under 10% of the posted max and haven't have a speeding ticket since 15 years ago.... Cops are people too. They aren't evil always striving to fill monthly quota numbers.....

Aug 29, 2009
771 posts
56 upvotes
Brampton
once i saw them on calidon road. u pass under a bridge that kinda dips in a u. as u come up theres a bus shelter. all glass. they set a tri pod inside the dam thing and pointed it down the street. unbeleivable.. people had to actually wait outside the bus shelter lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)