Shopping Discussion

Can Retailers Track Where GCs have been used?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2013 8:42 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes

Can Retailers Track Where GCs have been used?

This has always sparked my interest. I know that Starbucks can usually keep a track of one's gift card as in recent transactions but not sure if they can track which store it was used (despite using the app or physical GC).

Can other retailers also track where gift cards have been used in their chain of stores?
Blanka
5 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1790 posts
334 upvotes
djemzine wrote: This has always sparked my interest. I know that Starbucks can usually keep a track of one's gift card as in recent transactions but not sure if they can track which store it was used (despite using the app or physical GC).

Can other retailers also track where gift cards have been used in their chain of stores?
probably, they need to for audit purposes at the very least
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
Yes. It is also tired to the individual receipt, meaning article lines can be pulled.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Why, what kind of fraud are you trying to figure out? :)
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: Why, what kind of fraud are you trying to figure out? :)
Lol, I am not committing any fraud man :) :razz: I was just curious because with my gold Starbucks card, I was charged a venti drink when I ordered a grande drink at a local Starbucks. So I called up up CSR and I told them that I went to so and so store and was charged extra at the drive through. They then told me they can't see which Starbucks it was used at but they could see the amount only.
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
djemzine wrote: Lol, I am not committing any fraud man :) :razz: I was just curious because with my gold Starbucks card, I was charged a venti drink when I ordered a grande drink at a local Starbucks. So I called up up CSR and I told them that I went to so and so store and was charged extra at the drive through. They then told me they can't see which Starbucks it was used at but they could see the amount only.
I'm sure the CSR only had limited access to that information. Someone in corp could probably get a complete report of the times, amounts and purchases. In fact, I'd be surprised if that information wasn't mined at a corp level.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)