Travel

Can Siem Reap (Angkor Wat), Cambodia be done on the cheap?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2009 12:45 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore

Can Siem Reap (Angkor Wat), Cambodia be done on the cheap?

I still haven't finalized my plans for the final 40 days of my current trip. I'll be flying back to Singapore from Sydney, Australia on December 16th and I'm really tempted to go to Angkor Wat given its close proximity to Singapore. It also seems like a good time to be travelling in SE Asia as well. The biggest problem for me now is that I'm not sure if I have the money to fit Cambodia into the trip. Since I heard that the USD is more or less the defacto currency in Cambodia, I'm afraid things will be more expensive than say Thailand or Malaysia. The way I see things now is that I want to keep accomodation at about US$20/day and a maximum daily budget at about US$40. Is this enough to live comfortably? I think the 3-day Angkor Wat pass is enough for me. I also have to consider the expensive flight with Bangkok Air out of Siem Reap to Bangkok which is close to US$200. Any constructive comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
7 replies
Aug 4, 2005
63 posts
3 upvotes
$40 a day should be plenty, I don’t know what you regard as comfortable, but I stayed in Cambodia on $15 a day. You will have no problem finding a guest house for around $10 a night cheaper if you share a room. For food if you want street food easily $1.50 each meal or restaurant for $5 a meal. Prices are not that much different from Thailand.

You could also save a lot on the airfare to Bangkok if you just took a bus, or bus part way and train the rest. Could probably book the trip for $25 straight through any guest house would likely be able to book you the trip. you can look at http://www.seat61.com/Cambodia.htm for information for train travel and that.

You should have no problem in regards to your budget so, GO!
Apr 4, 2008
513 posts
838 upvotes
You are absolutely able to do Cambodia on the cheap if you wish and in my opinion, it would be a huge mistake to not take in Angkor Wat while you have the chance.

Although the US dollar is the preferred currency, it doesn't result in increased prices at all. You are looking at prices in the same range as everywhere else in SE Asia, you can do cheap cheap or you can splurge a little more and get really nice.

For accommodations at $20/day you will be able to find a decent backpacker place near Pub Street, say Popular Guest House. If there are two of you and want or are able to, stay at www.koolhotel.com for $40/USD a night (free pickup, free breakfast, pool, amazing staff, tuk tuks won't rip you off, local advice, beautiful rooms) especially if you need a break from backpacking places.

Food will be in the range of what you pay in the rest of SE Asia, or you can spend more at some nicer places on Pub Street. Tuk tuks should cost you no more than $2USD to get around Siem Reap, but sometimes the drivers are much more harassing and scheming then in other parts of SE Asia, just be firm. Try and make some friends at your hotel and do group trips out to Angkor to save a lot of money on taxis.

The 3-day pass for Angkor is well worth it and you will need the time to explore and take in the splendor and sheer enormity of it. Take in the sunrise on a clear morning if possible; you will never forget it. Head off to some of the less visited Wats and have lunch/dinner by yourself and just suck it all in.

I hope that helps in some way :razz:
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: Since I heard that the USD is more or less the defacto currency in Cambodia, I'm afraid things will be more expensive than say Thailand or Malaysia.
Cambodia is cheaper than Thailand or Malaysia. While the USD is accepted, the Cambodian Riel is still being used for smaller purchases. For accommodation, I stayed at and highly recommend Bou Savy Guesthouse. They pick you up for free from the bus stop, although I'm not sure if they do airport pick-ups or drop-offs. I paid about $7 a night for a single room (although they placed me at a twin room but charged only as a single room) with a spotlessly clean en-suite bathroom. I didn't go for the A/C since the fan was alright (the nights were actually cool even in the summer and you can always sleep naked). Breakfast is also included in the price. Getting around Angkor is probably the most expensive thing in Siem Reap. Just like what it has already been said, the 3-day pass to Angkor is well worth it since it isn't just a single palace/temple but a complex of several. I paid around $10-15 a day for a tuk-tuk to get me around although you can negotiate the price. To get there, if you have 2 days to spare (round-trip), then maybe just head to Siem Reap by bus from Bangkok.
Sep 8, 2006
830 posts
336 upvotes
Surrey
angkor can be seen super cheap. add to those costs transport, if you are young/active you can just rent a bicycle ($1-2/day) or pay for a tuk tuk/moto driver (i think around $15-20)

you could bike and see all the main sites (on the large route) in 2 days. i was moving quickly and saw them all on bicycle in 2 days (including the outlying roluos temples) 3rd day of my pass i went out to see bang melea ($5 extra) [super cool temple with no one there, in ruins straight out of indiana jones, can climb all over it] and also banteay srei, best detailed carvings around siem reap.

yes its super cheap, i think i spent $10-15 /day for meals, accomodation, bike and internet, not including the temple access fee.

nearly all cambodian ATM's dispense USD, few dispense riel, however, know the conversion factor well because sometimes you'll get change as a combination of riel and dollars. if you're bringing USD, try to bring crisp newer bills as you'll have trouble finding anyone to take old used tattered bills. try not bringing anything larger than a $20 or you'll have difficulty getting change.

since you're there for such a short time ,dont waste time searching for a place and book online (get a cambodia guidebook LP, footprint etc) and just book something recommended. probably worth it to pay a few extra dollars for one with airport pickup, one less thing to worry about

so to answer your question, yes you can do it for cheap - dirt cheap, since cambodia is one of the poorest countries in the world. for the same price as you spend on a nice steak dinner here, you'll cover all your daily expenses and then some and live comfortably. so enjoy your 3 days and splurge $150-200. it'll all be worth it when you see angkor at sunset.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Thanks for the information guys. I'll see how things go in the next 2-3 days. If it all goes well, then I'll proceed with my plan to go to Cambodia.

I have a question about the passport photo that they want for the visa application though. I was told that I can just apply for a visa as soon as I land at the Siem Reap International Airport. Since I don't have any passport photos on me and I'm in Guangzhou at the moment, I took the time last night to get some passport photos done for 15RMB (amazingly cheap compared to my passport photos done in Vancouver). The problem is that it came out a bit smaller than I thought and the store didn't stamp the back of the photos. Do the authorities scrutinize the photo before allowing the application to proceed? Can you guys explain how the visa process is done at the airport?
Jan 28, 2009
74 posts
30 upvotes
I can't remember having to have any photos to get a Cambodian visa at the airport in S.R.-they just want money. But you do need two(I think) passport photos for your three day pass to the wats. They will take the photos there for you if you do not have any, but I do not think they are too sticky on the size. They do check for your pass-we were checked every day we were there.
Apr 4, 2008
513 posts
838 upvotes
bigfred wrote: I can't remember having to have any photos to get a Cambodian visa at the airport in S.R.-they just want money. But you do need two(I think) passport photos for your three day pass to the wats. They will take the photos there for you if you do not have any, but I do not think they are too sticky on the size. They do check for your pass-we were checked every day we were there.
Yep, only need the photos for Angkor Wat as they are attempting to eliminate damage/theft to the ruins.

Make sure you have nice USD bills for your passport fee; not sure why but they love crisp bills like they get to keep themselves.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)