Pets

Can a small dog or puppy be litter trained?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2015 8:00 am
Tags:
None
Feb 3, 2011
302 posts
66 upvotes
Markham

Can a small dog or puppy be litter trained?

We've got 4 awesome cats at home but we're thinking about Getting a dog, as well, on the smaller side.

We're away for about 10 hrs a day and I know they have to go pee. I wouldn't want them to hold it in.

Can you teach a dog to use a litter box as opposed to pee pads? Have anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Yes you can, but please don't get a dog if it's going to be alone for 10 hours a day.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
As mentioned, dogs aren't like cats. They require social interaction.
Getting a dog knowing you're going to treat it like a cat?
Bad bad bad idea.

Ps. Most puppies LOVE eating cat sh*t out of the litter box. A lot of adult dogs LOVE eating cat sh*t out of the litter box. Just so you know.
Aug 16, 2011
841 posts
253 upvotes
Kitchener
agree with the above, dogs are incredibly social creatures, though some breeds are less fussed about being alone. At the very least have a dog walker come in every day.
Feb 12, 2015
52 posts
3 upvotes
North York, ON
totally most of people will agree with the above standpoint,,,we always treat the dog as our best friend,,,plz don't let it alone if you want to own it entirely,,
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
kaydees wrote: So only people without full-time jobs can have dogs?
Where did you see that?
Oct 14, 2010
57 posts
8 upvotes
Collingwood, Ontario
Housetraining a puppy when you are gone 10hrs a day is going to be impossible. It's very hard to work full-time and raise a puppy.
If you are gone that long, at least get a dog walker. I am lucky enough that I can run home at lunch to let the dogs out, so they aren't alone all day.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)