Green / Eco-Friendly

Can a toaster with a lever that doesn't stay down be fixed?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2016 12:22 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10854 posts
1473 upvotes
City of Vancouver

Can a toaster with a lever that doesn't stay down be fixed?

I have a two-slot toaster where the lever doesn't stay down, and sparks fly when I keep pushing it down. I think there is some magnet that is involved? Has anyone fixed this problem themselves? Is this a common problem with recent cheap toasters?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7024 posts
758 upvotes
I wouldn't risk with a cheap toaster, fire hazard.
Just toss and replace it.

There should be a switch that activates an electro magnet to hold it down
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13871 posts
4424 upvotes
I had this on a toaster after I cleaned it out, so needless to say I had to fix it otherwise it would have been me that broke it ;)

The mechanism inside the toaster is very simple. You are correct, it is just a magnet in place. In my case, while cleaning it I must have moved some crumbs over top of the magnet and it got blocked. I cleaned out the surface of the pieces, re-assembled, and it worked fine.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3574 posts
2226 upvotes
GTA
I had the same issue with my toaster. Taking off the cover to fix it was easy. Just keep track of your screws and how it all went together. Use a small flat head screwdriver if they use odd triangle type screws like mine.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1585 posts
311 upvotes
Windsor
Way late on this one, but if you have a compressor, and one of those air-guns, you can blow out the inside of the thing and can sometimes fix this problem.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10854 posts
1473 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I previously opened up the toaster and didn't notice a crumb issue.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6190 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
I also had this problem with a 4 slot/2 lever toaster. One worked, the other didn't without wiggling the lever. Careful cleaning - removal of crumb trays underneath and shaking the unit over the sink - solved the problem. My toasters uses an electro-magnetic arrangement to keep the lever down.
May 14, 2016
52 posts
5 upvotes
New toasters are $9 new at Canadian Tire. Why run the risk of a fire??
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6191 posts
1539 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You're assuming that the new $9 toaster doesn't have a risk of a fire?