Home & Garden

Can u mix Alaskan salt (blue) with the regular de-icing salt?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 9:51 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7426 posts
2660 upvotes
Markham

Can u mix Alaskan salt (blue) with the regular de-icing salt?

Is there any reason I can't mix some of each in a bag to use? The regular stuff doesn't work too well at lower temps so sometimes using some of the blue stuff gets the snow/ice started faster at which time the regular stuff can help.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
27 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2720 posts
1525 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
DON'T!
You'll cause a tear in space/time!
Let's see what happens...!
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3500 posts
1489 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 9:57 pm
DON'T!
You'll cause a tear in space/time!
You don't want to meet yourself from another dimension?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2720 posts
1525 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
pootza wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 10:10 pm
You don't want to meet yourself from another dimension?
Hell ya!
That's why I typed, ""Let's see what happens!"
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4534 posts
1408 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Have container outside with regular salt... just topped it off with blue stuff and mixed.

Worked well so far.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3205 posts
2277 upvotes
Ottawa
The regular rock salt will pit concrete and interlocking stones and damage your lawn ... if you are using the salt in other areas then I don't see why not (make sure you don't shovel the snow/ice with rock salt on to the lawn). We use only one or two 10kg bags of the Alaskan a season so we never use the regular salt.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2988 posts
1770 upvotes
GTA
You need 6 years university in Saltology and post grad in De- icing engineering to answer this.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7426 posts
2660 upvotes
Markham
Jon Lai wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 8:41 am
Is this purely from cost savings perspective? We only use Alaskan and it’s only $20-30 worth a season.
I have some of the rock salt from previous winters. Rock salt is cheaper so why spend money if it works. We can't get away from rock salt anyways as the city is still using it.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3629 posts
1000 upvotes
Toronto
You should NEVER mix these compounds. They are chemically incompatible with each other and likely to cause a chemical explosion.

It says so right on the label.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42407 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Jerico wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 2:00 pm
That friggin alasakan stuff always breaks down into a wet mess if you dont use it all in one season. Or is that somehow just me?
You have to keep it in a dry place. If you keep it somewhere on the ground, chances are there will be water getting into the bag.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28779 posts
14590 upvotes
Ottawa
I mixed mine this year, as a bag that I recently opened had a lot of fine blue power and while spreading, it would blow back up to my face.
Apr 10, 2006
343 posts
130 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 2:00 pm
That friggin alasakan stuff always breaks down into a wet mess if you dont use it all in one season. Or is that somehow just me?
Most likely how you store yours. I bought 2 10kg bags one year after the year all stores ran out of salt due to all the freezing rains we had. I finished the first bag just last year. And still running on the 2nd bag right now. Haven't turned to wet mess nor became a solid clump like some say. I rarely salt the stairs and walkways since I try to always get them clean asap. So not sure how others go thru 2 to 3 bags a season.

I just keep mine in the same bag they came in, crumple the top as best as I can, then put them on the shelves. Maybe leaving them on the shelves is better than just leaving them on the floor?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28779 posts
14590 upvotes
Ottawa
vanpatrick81 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 2:48 pm
Most likely how you store yours. I bought 2 10kg bags one year after the year all stores ran out of salt due to all the freezing rains we had. I finished the first bag just last year. And still running on the 2nd bag right now. Haven't turned to wet mess nor became a solid clump like some say. I rarely salt the stairs and walkways since I try to always get them clean asap. So not sure how others go thru 2 to 3 bags a season.

I just keep mine in the same bag they came in, crumple the top as best as I can, then put them on the shelves. Maybe leaving them on the shelves is better than just leaving them on the floor?
I salt both walkway and 4 car driveway.
There's a very nice elder lady that delivers our flyers and I can't forgive myself if she slips on my property.