Home & Garden

Can u mix Alaskan salt (blue) with the regular de-icing salt?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 9:51 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5378 posts
2210 upvotes
Paris
Jon Lai wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 2:28 pm
You have to keep it in a dry place. If you keep it somewhere on the ground, chances are there will be water getting into the bag.
I bought a pail of it once and thats where the new stuff always went after cleaning out the old. It’s like the fish oil comes out and turns to a mush in the bottom. I store in the garage, I wonder if its hygroscopic and retains water?
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3173 posts
726 upvotes
Oshawa
gr8dlr wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 9:53 pm
Is there any reason I can't mix some of each in a bag to use? The regular stuff doesn't work too well at lower temps so sometimes using some of the blue stuff gets the snow/ice started faster at which time the regular stuff can help.
I have been mixing Alaskan and the regular road salt for years ... not an issue at all. Works better!

I use the mixture for my asphalt driveway.

Straight up Alaskan for my porch and the steps on the front yard.

Regular road salt for strictly the sidewalks (government property) ... don't care if it is damaged.

For my backyard patio stones ... I use the salt that is safe for pets.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3679 posts
3606 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I mix the wife's Himalayan pink salt from the kitchen with my Alaskan blue for the driveway. It leaves a nice purpley color, and the neighbor's dog loves it.

Sometimes when I'm BBQing steaks, I substitute sea salt with a pinch of Safe-T-salt to give it an earthy flavor. Why bother going back in the house to grab the salt when you've got a bag of leftover salt right there?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3026 posts
2029 upvotes
Ottawa
Get a bucket to store the salt in and keep the moisture out, HD sells a bucket and lid for $8 ($4+$4) if you don't already have one with an easy to open lid. The salt or fertilizer bags may have holes or small tears from handling and if stored outside in the elements, water/moisture might get in and clump it up.

I've tried the Jetblue ice melter (Princess Auto) and Scotts easymelt (HD) this year and found that both of them don't work as well as the Alaskan even though they all claim to work down to -31°C. Both ice melters just make holes but fail to weaken the ice so it'll break or become less slippery and I ended up applying it twice. To prevent a fall (our own family or other people walking on our property) to me is very important like winter tires. We RFDers always stock up on sales anyway so the cost is minimized already.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6150 posts
791 upvotes
Amazing how many people haven't bothered to read the ingredients list on a package of Alaskan ice Melt. One of the key ingredients is listed as "NaCl" otherwise known as sodium chloride, or common salt. Since the original question asked by OP was whether or not he could safely mix the Alaskan with common salt and the answer is YES, since the manufacturer has already done some of that same mixing in the product.

Since regular salt is only effective down to about -12 C the manufacturer of Alaskan uses the scientific formula NaCl to try and hide the fact that they're diluting their product with cheap salt which is not as effective as the other ingredients they're using.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3704 posts
1321 upvotes
Mississauga
All salts are hygroscopic, some more than others.

I bought a bag of calcium chloride once because it’s safer for lawns and wouldn’t wreck my cement driveway. Worked well the first winter but by the second winter the bag turned into a solid, sweaty mass. I figured I didn’t seal it up properly.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14631 posts
1036 upvotes
Markham
Jerico wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 2:00 pm
That friggin alasakan stuff always breaks down into a wet mess if you dont use it all in one season. Or is that somehow just me?
Same experience here... I kept it in its original bag on my garage floor, guess water got in somehow and turned much of it into a solid chunk + the wet oily mess

Maybe I should install some shelves and store it off the ground? Or just buy another brand...
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3704 posts
1321 upvotes
Mississauga
I don’t think it’s necessarily moisture from the ground. The salt will absorb water vapour from the air if the container is not sealed.

Historically, calcium chloride has been spread on dirt roads to keep dust down because it pulls the moisture from the air and wets the road surface.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2910 posts
475 upvotes
Pro tip, we use an organic bin to store the salt it works great and has air tight steal with a latch. The old bin that was used prior to the change in Ontario a few years back.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4047 posts
1133 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
JonSnow wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 7:37 pm
Pro tip, we use an organic bin to store the salt it works great and has air tight steal with a latch. The old bin that was used prior to the change in Ontario a few years back.
Neighbour does same.

We have several bags on garage floor from few years back when Alaskan was on sale... have opened 2 bags so far and they are fine.

Once open we just put in plastic sealed bin... hmmm... those city salt containers would come in handy as our city collects taxes but has not salted our street for like 2-3 years. Before that they would at least half dozen times a year. Now road is like ice rink except in front of driveways where individual owners salted.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39862 posts
3927 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
pootza wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 10:10 pm
You don't want to meet yourself from another dimension?
What if that you from another dimension pulls down his pants... and he doesnt have a weiner.
He says “in our dimension. We don’t have whAt you call genitals. We share intimacy by starring into each others eyes.”

“But... how do you have children?”

“They drop out of the sky”

AaaaaaAaaaaaa!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1106 posts
697 upvotes
I find that the blue salt tastes rather funny on my fries ...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6151 posts
1605 upvotes
Markham
JonSnow wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 7:37 pm
Old green bin is exactly what I use as well. It house the two bags... One regular salt and I've blue Alaskan.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!