• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2018 3:29 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 19, 2017
44 posts
5 upvotes

can US gym come after me in Canada?

I lived in the US for a few months and signed up for a 1 year membership, paid up front and explicitly told the associate i would be leaving in a year and there should be no other hassle. He signed me up.

At the end of the year i got calls to do a renewal and they asked for my credit card and i told them i did not have a renewal as i had paid for a year and was done and it was not a contract for auto billing and they said its all good and membership is cancelled. I stopped getting calls.

now 2 years later a lawyers office called and said they are collecting on money i owe as it is a contract that is not cancelled. I'm in Canada and i don't owe them anything, but can they come after me? I didn't get anything in writing that the membership was cancelled.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1703 posts
252 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Can they? Yes. Will they? Unlikely. The process of getting default judgment in the usa then getting that recognized where you live in Canada will not be worth it. They will make calls and demands in hopes you cave and pay. Also it is likely that even if steps were taken to go after you in Canada you could throw out a limitations defence and end it quickly. Depends where you live.
Feb 17, 2017
543 posts
271 upvotes
Calgary
jmatheson64 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 8:36 pm
Can they? Yes. Will they? Unlikely. The process of getting default judgment in the usa then getting that recognized where you live in Canada will not be worth it. They will make calls and demands in hopes you cave and pay. Also it is likely that even if steps were taken to go after you in Canada you could throw out a limitations defence and end it quickly. Depends where you live.
Wouldn't it also be impossible for someone to get a judgement in the US if they aren't even a resident in the US anymore anyway (unless the creditor lied)? (At least that seems to be the case in most common-law countries but I know the US uses Quasi common-law legal system)
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
1702 posts
254 upvotes
Tell them to come over to Canada if they want to collect the money. What a bunch of losers...
Sep 23, 2013
302 posts
156 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
I'd recommend getting this straightened out, even if they can't come after you, it's better to not have anything like this hanging over you. Have a paper trail or anything other proof of cancellation?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
6003 posts
3243 upvotes
They won’t do shat, ignore and they will go away.

They were shady to begin with so screw them
Apr 19, 2017
151 posts
43 upvotes
If they sent the letter, just ignore it. How would they know if you still live there or you moved. I would just write "moved out" and put it back in the mail box
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8712 posts
753 upvotes
Toronto
gymrat999 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 6:21 pm
I lived in the US for a few months and signed up for a 1 year membership, paid up front and explicitly told the associate i would be leaving in a year and there should be no other hassle. He signed me up.

At the end of the year i got calls to do a renewal and they asked for my credit card and i told them i did not have a renewal as i had paid for a year and was done and it was not a contract for auto billing and they said its all good and membership is cancelled. I stopped getting calls.

now 2 years later a lawyers office called and said they are collecting on money i owe as it is a contract that is not cancelled. I'm in Canada and i don't owe them anything, but can they come after me? I didn't get anything in writing that the membership was cancelled.
You should tell that lawyer he is being lied to by the gym and that you clearly moved which is why you cancelled.
Jun 13, 2009
252 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
I doubt any lawyer would waste their time contacting you to try and collect on a gym membership....Lawyers bill hundreds of dollars an hour. I am willing to bet money that the caller was a sleazy collection agent. Ignore them. You signed for a one year membership, not two. If these calls continue, demand they produce documents showing that you committed to a second year.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17386 posts
2117 upvotes
GTA West
Yes they can file a statement of claim against you in Canada but it's probably not worth their time for something this small.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)