Food & Drink

Can we buy alcohol from Niagara Duty Free (Canada side)?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2017 1:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
4498 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto

Can we buy alcohol from Niagara Duty Free (Canada side)?

Can we buy alcohol from Niagara Duty Free (Canada side) even if we are not going to US?
10 replies
Oct 13, 2014
950 posts
386 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
I do not know of the other crossings in the Niagara Region, but at the Fort Erie crossing you can buy the alcohol. You will have to give your licence plate number and it is entered on the computer ( I believe the computer entry is flagged by C.C.). Now to get back into Canada that is another question. No you will not be able to enter back into Canada without going through Canada Customs as that is how it is designed. The agents will see your vehicle doing the U-turn from the Q.E.W. before going to the bridge itself and you will most likely be sent for inspection.

The only exit from that Duty Free shop takes you directly to the Q.E.W. entering at a point where you have only the two routes, go into the U.S.A. or go through Canada Customs. All of this is monitored by CCTV.

So, legally you cannot and I doubt you would get away with it. Pointshubby can probably confirm this.
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
4498 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
I was surprised by the difference of prices of alcohol in lcbo and duty free. Any cheap way to buy alcohol without going out of country?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1956 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 9:19 pm
I was surprised by the difference of prices of alcohol in lcbo and duty free. Any cheap way to buy alcohol without going out of country?
There's obviously a difference because that's the purpose of DUTY FREE. It's for you to purchase and take out of country for gifts and such. LCBO has paid to duties when it was imported in, and then it's passed on to the consumer.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3526 posts
984 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote:
Quebec prices are often cheaper but that's a longer drive.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1422 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote:
Nope.
Even wines purchased at any Ontario wineries will have the liquor taxes applied.
Any liquors purchased and imported into Ontario must go throw the LCBO's paws and you will be taxed accordingly.

Two Universal Laws of life.
#1 Death
#2 Taxes
Jun 4, 2006
403 posts
39 upvotes
Castlemore
I think what the OP was asking if anyone walked over there and gave a fake license plate and bought booze and walked back to their car. You can actually walk to the Duty free shop that's across from the Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls.

***** Edit *****

Checked Google maps, and there were 3 border agents having a seat at the entrance to the pedestrian walkway to the US opposite the Duty free shop;

Border Agents sitting in the shade.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
4498 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
Carbooja wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:25 pm
I think what the OP was asking if anyone walked over there and gave a fake license plate and bought booze and walked back to their car. You can actually walk to the Duty free shop that's across from the Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls.

***** Edit *****

Checked Google maps, and there were 3 border agents having a seat at the entrance to the pedestrian walkway to the US opposite the Duty free shop;

Border Agents sitting in the shade.
We already walked into there, that's why i was asking if its ok to buy and just dont cross US lol. Not sure if the cashier will ask for license plate number or something.
Feb 8, 2017
229 posts
82 upvotes
i'm pretty sure someone has tried that one before. if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.
Jun 4, 2006
403 posts
39 upvotes
Castlemore
test9251 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 7:31 pm
We already walked into there, that's why i was asking if its ok to buy and just dont cross US lol. Not sure if the cashier will ask for license plate number or something.
They will always ask you for your license plate.