Food & Drink

Can we have a mature discussion re vegetarianism/veganism?

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2017 11:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7157 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto

Can we have a mature discussion re vegetarianism/veganism?

At present, I'm definitely not. I LOVE steak, fish, etc and a lot of dishes feel 'empty' w/o meat component to me. However, I do aspire to for many reasons, although it is kinda unrealistic atm even though I try to cut down on meats.

I think the present attitude is still viewing these 2 choices in disdain and I find that laughable. Isn't it the enlightened objective? Progress from caveman having to kill to eat to eventually not needing to? I suppose the way humans do things a la animal cruelty/suffering is a turn off as well. Another factor is it's probably easier to get food poisoning from flesh vs other stuff.

Anyone heading towards this direction? Any pointers?
178 replies
Nov 10, 2015
923 posts
221 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
It's all up to you. If you want to go that route, what's stopping you?
Anyone But Justin 2019
Jan 8, 2009
626 posts
274 upvotes
GTA
Our whole family is vegetarian, not vegan. We went vegan for a while but to be honest, we simply found it too difficult when out and when travelling. We do, however, cook a lot of vegan meals. I do admire people who can make veganism work for them because the way cows and chickens are treated is abysmal. That said, I'm not judging anyone who eats meat. Each to their own.

Personally, I really like Kathy Freston's take on things. She has a couple of books - The Lean, Veganist - in which she encourages people to make whatever changes they can make i.e. if the only thing stopping you is that you can't imagine life without cheese, then eat cheese but cut all other animal products out. If you can't imagine life without the occasional burger, have the occasional burger. Her emphasis is on the changes you /can/ make and live with.

By the way, our vegetarianism started with my having serious gastrointestinal issues after travelling in South America (got very sick while down there and was hospitalized). I simply couldn't eat meat for a long time and had to switch to soy products as well from anything dairy-based. Then soy started bothering me and I had to go back to dairy. Ugh (about the still having issues, not the dairy necessarily). Our daughter is vegetarian because she loves animals and she's never really liked meat. And my husband is vegetarian because he's happy to eat whatever I cook, eats meat occasionally when we're out, and says he feels better when not eating it on a regular basis.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7157 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
Tx for the comments. 0 is stopping me other than it's quite impractical esp when going out.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2233 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington
my wife calls it flexitarian. I look at it kind of like dieting. If you try to cut out 100% of your carbs, you'll likely fail. However, if you slow the descent, you increase the chances of succeeding. We have multiple vegetarian meals during the week, and are increasing. I'm not anywhere near the point of giving up steak tho.
Free Nortel tips and tricks blog, as well as second opinion on a move to VoIP (for my RFD friends).
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4051 posts
1094 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
May 5th, 2017 10:57 pm
I think the present attitude is still viewing these 2 choices in disdain and I find that laughable. Isn't it the enlightened objective? Progress from caveman having to kill to eat to eventually not needing to?
I find this statement to be quite hypocritical. It's most often the vegans/vegetarians who look at normal people in arrogant disdain, and your second/third sentences are a great example of such.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7157 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
ilove wrote:
May 6th, 2017 2:03 am
I find this statement to be quite hypocritical. It's most often the vegans/vegetarians who look at normal people in arrogant disdain, and your second/third sentences are a great example of such.
Ha, knew someone would bite. I'm pretty sure there's more hatred vs Vs than meateaters. Not hypocritical at all as it's basically the truth, esp knowing how humans treat their food.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4660 upvotes
You'll get crazy people on both sides of the fence.

There's crazy meat eaters that'll rip on vegetarians/vegans without provocation (ie your thread title)
There's also crazy vegans that'll throw paint on your steak.

There's also idiots in terms of knowledge of nutrition on both sides.
I still giggle at the vegans that eat nothing but french fries. I mean... you're not wrong but I can't imagine what you're doing to your body.
Same idea with meat eaters thinking you can't survive on vegetarianism. *points at India*

I'm of the school of "I don't care what you do as long as you don't care what I do"

I get some of the principles of vegetarianism and we could all probably eat less meat.
I could never give it up permanently. But a meal here and there? Sure.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7157 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
^What's wrong w/ my title?

Anyway, I don't care what other ppl do either but it would be nice if they didn't basically torture the animals before turning them into food...who really wants that but ofc the almighty $ rules all.

Humans are definitely not 'humane' (what a misnomer).
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3190 posts
1057 upvotes
I don't consider myself vegetarian let alone vegan, but for medical reasons, I've cut down on the meat over the last decade and a half. On a good day, I can go meatless, especially at home. The center of my plate is now starchy vegetables (not deep fried) with some vegetables and fruit. Eliminate/minimize salt, oil and sugar. Brown rice, sweet potatoes, plain baked potatoes (no added butter, sour cream, cheese or bacon bits), beans and lentils help keep me full. Most mornings I cook up some steel cut oats and add some fruit and soy drink. When in a restaurant I have to constantly tell the server, no dressing or cheese on my salad. That sometimes elicits a few comments or raised eyebrows. I've gotten used to it. If there's a soup of the day on the menu, I'm always hoping it's a clear broth vegetable soup, but too often it's creamy and I have to forgo it. I wish more restaurants served brown rice as an option, but very few do. French fries always seem to be a choice when eating out, but baked potatoes or sweet potatoes, rarely.

The way I eat, is always a challenge, and I continuously fall off the wagon, but I just get myself back up again to do battle with the mind.

Here's one woman in Calgary who was virtually on her death bed, and managed to reverse her illness by taking up a whole foods, plant based diet.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3286 posts
1244 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I could easily go vegetarian. I have many meatless days in a typical week and don't miss it at all. Vegan is seems like far more effort to me. I highly doubt I will ever go vegan.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2879 posts
609 upvotes
If you watch some videos on how a lot of animals are treated before processed, this will be enough to kill any cravings for meat. Not judging anyone who likes to eat meat but just saying if you're trying to stop eating, just do a little research and you'll see what I mean.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1358 posts
89 upvotes
Mississauga
I too love my meat. I often wonder when I smell a steak cooking smells delicious. Do Vegetarians feel the same when cutting their grass?
Feb 9, 2013
819 posts
435 upvotes
Ottawa
I am vegetarian and have only received insults from rednecks. Most normal people see nothing wrong with plant-based diets and even consult me often about recipes, switching over, or bodybuilding while vegetarian.