Food & Drink

Can we have a mature discussion re vegetarianism/veganism?

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2017 12:30 am
Jun 21, 2016
973 posts
334 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
May 8th, 2017 10:06 am
Start buying grass fed beef and organic free range chickens. Its what I do. Its expensive but well worth it. By it being expensive you will eat smaller portions and automatically fill the void with veggies, legumes etc. You dont have to go meatless to feel good about the meat you eat. Just source it right.
This is in my opinion an idiotic thing to do. With all due respect, you're cutting down on meat by purposely paying more money for it? You might as well buy cheaper meat and donate the money to some anti animal cruelty group.

Although grass fed beef is definitely healthier, if you were trying to get any health benefit from it you'd have to eat more than a tiny amount. So it really doesn't work in this case.

Also, read the laws on organic free range chickens/eggs, it might surprise you what 'free range' is considered legally. In most cases, the same as regular chicken/eggs.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
6659 posts
672 upvotes
Toronto
^Cmon, dude, no need to insult the guy for sharing his opinion. Could've done w/o your 1st sentence. The rest was informative.

Would you say that to him live vs online? Ofc not.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4630 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
May 8th, 2017 10:06 am
By it being expensive you will eat smaller portions and automatically fill the void with veggies, legumes etc.
Challenge accepted.
It wouldn't be the first time I've spent $50 on a steak that wasn't in a restaurant.
Jun 21, 2016
973 posts
334 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
May 13th, 2017 8:38 pm
^Cmon, dude, no need to insult the guy for sharing his opinion. Could've done w/o your 1st sentence. The rest was informative.

Would you say that to him live vs online? Ofc not.
say that its stupid to purposely spend more money on meat to eat less?
why wouldn't I say that to his face?

You could just spend the same amount of money, but buy less, it makes absolute NO sense to do what he suggested.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
6659 posts
672 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
May 14th, 2017 7:45 am
say that its stupid to purposely spend more money on meat to eat less?
why wouldn't I say that to his face?

You could just spend the same amount of money, but buy less, it makes absolute NO sense to do what he suggested.
LOL, I can't imagine getting so angry over food selection. I'm just saying why be so rude, just tell him why you disagree, that's it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and he's not making crazy statements that warrant such a violent response. Why do you feel that you have to put him down like that?

Let's all chill, as per my OP, I want a *mature* discussion.
Jun 21, 2016
973 posts
334 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
May 14th, 2017 1:54 pm
LOL, I can't imagine getting so angry over food selection. I'm just saying why be so rude, just tell him why you disagree, that's it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and he's not making crazy statements that warrant such a violent response. Why do you feel that you have to put him down like that?

Let's all chill, as per my OP, I want a *mature* discussion.
angry? violence response? you mean realistic...

I found that vegetarians/vegans don't like hearing the blunt truth, although it's blunt, it is the truth after all.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
6659 posts
672 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
May 14th, 2017 3:02 pm
angry? you mean realistic?
violence response?

oh god...I couldn't imagine if someone actually had a violence response.

I found that vegetarians/vegans don't like hearing the blunt truth, although it's blunt, it is the truth after all.
You still don't get it, it's called "tact". One doesn't have to be rude to get one's pt across. Btw, neither your target nor I are Vs, so no idea what you're talking about.
Jun 21, 2016
973 posts
334 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
May 14th, 2017 3:03 pm
You still don't get it, it's called "tact". One doesn't have to be rude to get one's pt across. Btw, neither your target nor I are Vs, so no idea what you're talking about.
rude or realistic? is kim jong-un an idiot? is calling him an idiot being rude or realistic? calling an idiot an idiot is realistic.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
6659 posts
672 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
May 14th, 2017 4:03 pm
rude or realistic? is kim jong-un an idiot? is calling him an idiot being rude or realistic? calling an idiot an idiot is realistic.
Now you're comparing that poster to the N Korea dictator? LOL. Just because he has different food choices? Man, are you for real or trolling?
Apr 14, 2017
143 posts
32 upvotes
DT Calgary
toronto19850 wrote:
May 13th, 2017 8:17 pm
This is in my opinion an idiotic thing to do. With all due respect, you're cutting down on meat by purposely paying more money for it? You might as well buy cheaper meat and donate the money to some anti animal cruelty group.

Although grass fed beef is definitely healthier, if you were trying to get any health benefit from it you'd have to eat more than a tiny amount. So it really doesn't work in this case.

Also, read the laws on organic free range chickens/eggs, it might surprise you what 'free range' is considered legally. In most cases, the same as regular chicken/eggs.
This whole thread is idiotic. Hopefully it gets closed soon.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
6659 posts
672 upvotes
Toronto
FreshCo wrote:
May 14th, 2017 9:35 pm
This whole thread is idiotic. Hopefully it gets closed soon.
That's really a totally baseless and stupid comment.
Jan 7, 2017
61 posts
68 upvotes
Hamilton
Most of my diet is vegetarian; I don't keep any meat at home and treat myself to it when I'm out with friends or family. I yearn for the day when we can decouple masculinity and meat eating in Canada; men would live healthier and longer lives as a result. I don't understand what is so macho about having a farmer you've never met raise a cow, have a slaughterhouse you've never seen murder it, and have a butcher you'd probably never talked to carve it up for you - if you're a hunter or a fisherman, then I totally get the cultural value in consuming it. If your entire identity as a male rests on spending a few bucks for a steak at Loblaws, then you've got a hell of an existential crisis coming down the tracks.

I love milk, but I've also started to incorporate more and more Soy milk into my diet. When I was a kid, I bought into that crap about Soy containing estrogens and hurting muscle growth... I wonder if people still believe that crap?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
6659 posts
672 upvotes
Toronto
differing wrote:
May 15th, 2017 1:43 am
Most of my diet is vegetarian; I don't keep any meat at home and treat myself to it when I'm out with friends or family. I yearn for the day when we can decouple masculinity and meat eating in Canada; men would live healthier and longer lives as a result. I don't understand what is so macho about having a farmer you've never met raise a cow, have a slaughterhouse you've never seen murder it, and have a butcher you'd probably never talked to carve it up for you - if you're a hunter or a fisherman, then I totally get the cultural value in consuming it. If your entire identity as a male rests on spending a few bucks for a steak at Loblaws, then you've got a hell of an existential crisis coming down the tracks.

I love milk, but I've also started to incorporate more and more Soy milk into my diet. When I was a kid, I bought into that crap about Soy containing estrogens and hurting muscle growth... I wonder if people still believe that crap?
That's good for you and I do agree w/ your views. Yes, it's kinda silly about the macho thing, but moreso, I don't like seeing a perfectly sound animal suffer for the longest time and then killing it, if there are viable alternatives; also, no idea about the macho hunter either, unless they kill w/ their bare hands....how hard is it to pull a trigger? Anyway, that's another topic.

Everytime I go on roadtrips and pass those pig moving trailers, that's pretty pitiful.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
1858 posts
172 upvotes
Mississauga
toronto19850 wrote:
May 13th, 2017 8:17 pm

The way I see it, quality over quantity.
I prefer to eat quality foods rather than stock up on the cheapest meat to buy from whatever retail shop. Hows that bad?
This post was intended to the person trying to go vegetarian, not your average "lets buy all cheapest frozen brined chicken breast from "wherever" cause $1.99/lbs" type of a poster.
Jun 21, 2016
973 posts
334 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:52 am
The way I see it, quality over quantity.
I prefer to eat quality foods rather than stock up on the cheapest meat to buy from whatever retail shop. Hows that bad?
This post was intended to the person trying to go vegetarian, not your average "lets buy all cheapest frozen brined chicken breast from "wherever" cause $1.99/lbs" type of a poster.
this will be the last reply I make in this thread, only because I did directly quote you.

Quality over quantity, now if you did read, although I highly doubt you did seeing as you are ignorant. Just because a food is called a different name doesn't make it higher quality. i.e.. Free Range

I have nothing against buying quality foods. What you suggested was someone to specifically buy more expensive meat in order TO EAT LESS. Why not just buy the exact same food and just eat less?

do whatever you want, I just think it's idiotic for someone to suggest a way to become a vegetarian/eat less meat is to use more money buying more expensive foods to make someone eat less.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel