Food & Drink

Can we have a mature discussion re vegetarianism/veganism?

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2017 12:30 am
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2781 posts
908 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Stop feeding the troll, otherwise this is an interesting discussion.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
959 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:52 am
The way I see it, quality over quantity.
I prefer to eat quality foods rather than stock up on the cheapest meat to buy from whatever retail shop. Hows that bad?
This post was intended to the person trying to go vegetarian, not your average "lets buy all cheapest frozen brined chicken breast from "wherever" cause $1.99/lbs" type of a poster.
What's wrong with savouring your food, right? Ignore the meat for a sec and look at your eating pattern - no processed foods; real, non-quickkie sit-down meals that you prepare with care. Personally I think that is more important for eating healthy over whether you are or are not veg.
Apr 30, 2017
118 posts
28 upvotes
Meat, fish and crustaceans taste absolutely wonderful! Yet, I don't eat any. Why? Because I really do love animals and other living creatures. IOW, I do it for them, not for me. OTOH, one thing I really do for myself alone is not consume alcohol and caffeine. AFAIC, caffeine is as bad as cocaine, or other similar drugs. What makes it as bad is the fact that it is socially acceptable to consume caffeine. It will mess your brain like you have no idea...

No meat, no fish, no crustaceans, no alcohol and no caffeine; I'm really cheap to maintain :)

P.S. I'm an expert on chips and cocoa ;)

P.P.S. I used to go see the doc every 4-6 years but now I don't go anymore at all. I got tired to be told that I'm in perfect health :)

P.P.P.S. If ever you foolishly clog your arteries, here's a tip for you; drink 2 ounces of ACV (apple cider vinegar) with honey and hot water once per day. After a few weeks you will start seeing the difference and after 4-6 months your arteries will be unclogged. Best ACV comes in non-transparent container. Look up Omega Nutrition and you'll find what you need. And for overall general health, you can consume 1 once of ACV + honey + hot water per day. The 2 ounces drink is really heavy-duty and only designed to get you out of trouble. After a while, you may, or may not feel a little discomfort in an elbow, or knee the first time you drink ACV. Just stop drinking acv for a few days and then start drinking it again. Omega Nutrition's ACV contains 5% acetic acid. This is what will unclog your arteries.
Last edited by JustMe2016 on May 17th, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Apr 18, 2017
16 posts
3 upvotes
JustMe2016 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 12:45 pm
one thing I really do for myself alone is not consume alcohol and caffeine.
As an expert on cocoa, I'm sure you realize there is caffeine in cocoa.
there is dissonance here, unless you are saying you don't eat cocoa?
Apr 30, 2017
118 posts
28 upvotes
qman23 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:02 pm
As an expert on cocoa, I'm sure you realize there is caffeine in cocoa.
there is dissonance here, unless you are saying you don't eat cocoa?
You are correct, cocoa contains caffeine. But look it up and you will see that the amount of caffeine is miniscule. I never eat chocolate bars like those advertising 60%, 70%, 80% cocoa. I drink commercially available hot chocolate which hardly contains cocoa. I never do a hot coco from cocoa powder. So my intake of caffeine is negligible. But thanks for pointing it out.
Last edited by JustMe2016 on May 17th, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 21, 2016
973 posts
334 upvotes
JustMe2016 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 12:45 pm
Meat, fish and crustaceans taste absolutely wonderful! Yet, I don't eat any. Why? Because I really do love animals and other living creatures. IOW, I do it for them, not for me. OTOH, one thing I really do for myself alone is not consume alcohol and caffeine. AFAIC, caffeine is as bad as cocaine, or other similar drugs. What makes it as bad is the fact that it is socially acceptable to consume caffeine. It will mess your brain like you have no idea...

No meat, no fish, no crustaceans, no alcohol and no caffeine; I'm really cheap to maintain :)

P.P.S. I used to go see the doc every 4-6 years but now I don't go anymore at all. I got tired to be told that I'm in perfect health :)

P.P.P.S. If ever you foolishly clog your arteries, here's a tip for you; drink 2 ounces of ACV (apple cider vinegar) with honey and hot water once per day. After a few weeks you will start seeing the difference and after 4-6 months your arteries will be unclogged. Best ACV comes in non-transparent container. Look up Omega Nutrition and you'll find what you need. And for overall general health, you can consume 1 once of ACV + honey + hot water per day. The 2 ounces drink is really heavy-duty and only designed to get you out of trouble. After a while, you may, or may not feel a little discomfort in an elbow, or knee the first time you drink ACV. Just stop drinking acv for a few days and then start drinking it again. Omega Nutrition's ACV contains 5% acetic acid. This is what will unclog your arteries.
how will apple cider vinegar and honey help unclog arteries?

the only way to achieve this is to increase HDl cholesterol and lower LDL cholesterol
Apr 18, 2017
16 posts
3 upvotes
Caffeine is one of the few plant alkaloids I consume prodigiously, based on the research of their neuroprotective efficacy.
Far from being bad for your brain, the research to date is quite compellingly the opposite.
Apr 30, 2017
118 posts
28 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:41 pm
how will apple cider vinegar and honey help unclog arteries?

the only way to achieve this is to increase HDl cholesterol and lower LDL cholesterol
I'm sure you know what acid does, right? It dissolves things. Well, the 5% acetic acid in Omega Nutrition's ACV (I don't know the acidity of other ACVs as I have only used Omega's for the last 20+ years) will gradually melt whatever is clogging your arteries. Btw, I didn't read about that anywhere and nobody ever told me. It was my own little "invention" and it was tested twice on people close to me.
Apr 30, 2017
118 posts
28 upvotes
Caffeine is a drug. And no drug is good for both the physical and spiritual body. It messes up the brain in ways that few people seem aware and I have no interest in expanding about that. To each his/her own and be merry ;)
Apr 18, 2017
16 posts
3 upvotes
Vitamin C is a drug.
Acetic acid is a drug.
Blueberries contain 3-methylbutyraldehyde as well as other things that are "good for you"
All foods are "drugs" in that they affect the physical body in one way or another.
Apr 30, 2017
118 posts
28 upvotes
qman23 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 2:10 pm
Vitamin C is a drug.
Acetic acid is a drug.
Blueberries contain 3-methylbutyraldehyde as well as other things that are "good for you"
All foods are "drugs" in that they affect the physical body in one way or another.
Life is a drug :) And many never have enough of it and are afraid to lose it ;)
Apr 18, 2017
16 posts
3 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
May 9th, 2017 12:38 pm
Jesus, I'm exhausted after reading all that - you have a lot of food issues. It reminds me of myself. With my gout and the need to control purines and anything that produces a lot of uric acid, it gets frustrating because sometimes it seems like damn well everything that humans can metabolise (vegetarian or meat) is off limits to me.
I hear you dude... at one point I didn't think there was anything I could eat that didn't cause one problem or another. The final straw for me was getting gout after being 100% vegetarian for a year, and being told it was too much purine in my diet. Turned out in my case that it was too much fruit, as fructose can cause uric acid levels to rise.
That experience of self diagnosis and subsequent recovery was the beginning of the end of my vegetarianism, and the start of questioning a lot of conventional wisdom about nutrition.
If you still have gout issues in spite of cutting out purines, I'd suggest looking into the fructose/gout connection.
Jun 21, 2016
973 posts
334 upvotes
JustMe2016 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 1:58 pm
I'm sure you know what acid does, right? It dissolves things. Well, the 5% acetic acid in Omega Nutrition's ACV (I don't know the acidity of other ACVs as I have only used Omega's for the last 20+ years) will gradually melt whatever is clogging your arteries. Btw, I didn't read about that anywhere and nobody ever told me. It was my own little "invention" and it was tested twice on people close to me.
The problem with this 'theory' is just because you eat acid doesn't mean it goes in your veins and melts fat? I'm sorry but this is even more idiotic than the other post.

Your stomach has acid in it, it doesn't mean it just goes and melts fat in your arteries. The only thing I find apple cider vinegar is good for (health wise) is it aids in digestion.
Apr 21, 2014
897 posts
189 upvotes
Alberta
It's a cultural thing, I eat chicken and seafood but family is vegetarian. With Indian food there are tons of vegetarian options and don't miss out on eating meat at all. But do miss it for western food.
Jun 21, 2016
973 posts
334 upvotes
qman23 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 4:22 pm
I hear you dude... at one point I didn't think there was anything I could eat that didn't cause one problem or another. The final straw for me was getting gout after being 100% vegetarian for a year, and being told it was too much purine in my diet. Turned out in my case that it was too much fruit, as fructose can cause uric acid levels to rise.
That experience of self diagnosis and subsequent recovery was the beginning of the end of my vegetarianism, and the start of questioning a lot of conventional wisdom about nutrition.
If you still have gout issues in spite of cutting out purines, I'd suggest looking into the fructose/gout connection.
Are you taking medicine? my grandma has gout, I got her prescription medicine that allows more purines to be eaten without having an attack. Some fruits are low in fructose ie. grapes. You can still enjoy some fruits in smaller quantities and other fruits without as much fructose.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel