Food & Drink

Can we have a mature discussion re vegetarianism/veganism?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2017 8:10 pm
Jan 7, 2017
61 posts
68 upvotes
Hamilton
toronto19850 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:33 pm
The RDA is only what you eat to survive and be healthy for the average human. Of course no one actually eats this if they're an athlete or training. Males have to consume more, if not they will lose weight, not gain it. It's simple science as you said. Just like how a cow has to eat more than a chicken, size difference = food requirement difference.
So males between 14 and 70 are all high-performance athletes? Dude I showed you a survey of the general population! Men eat too much meat, I don't know why you're talking about with this athlete stuff. People don't need to adjust their diet because they work out a few times a week.
Last edited by differing on May 19th, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
959 upvotes
differing wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:07 pm
If you don't think our culture links meat-eating with masculinity, then you must watch zero advertising.
...and also haven't checked out the BBQ thread ;)
Jun 21, 2016
972 posts
332 upvotes
differing wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:39 pm
So males between 14 and 70 are all high-performance athletes? Dude I showed you a survey of the general population! Men eat too much meat, I don't know why you're talking about with this athlete stuff. People don't need to adjust their diet because they work out a few times a week.
Doesn't matter if men eat too much meat or don't that's not what I am debating. You said men eat meat for masculinity reasons...NOPE.
Jul 7, 2005
716 posts
68 upvotes
North York
differing wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:46 pm
What's your issue? Defining your value as a man because you whip out your wallet for a slab of meat instead of a salad is pretty pathetic. We'd be stronger men instead of childish losers if we moved past perverted twists on ancient gender roles. I work in healthcare; there's nothing manly about dying early from a stroke or a heart attack because a real man eats meat and vegetables are for sissies.
I don't know what type of people you associate with or how you conjured up this absurd notion that eating meat is manly and associated with some masculine attribute. It is quite disturbing that you think this way and then proceed to project this absurdity to the wider world.

CVD and stroke are the leading cause of death for both men and women in Canada and world wide. Would you like to provide the death stats for men vs women in Canada due to CVD and stroke? It kills more Women then Men in total numbers. You're in healthcare, give us the numbers! While you at it, seek mental help.
Jun 21, 2016
972 posts
332 upvotes
linsook wrote:
May 19th, 2017 7:32 pm
I don't know what type of people you associate with or how you conjured up this absurd notion that eating meat is manly and associated with some masculine attribute. It is quite disturbing that you think this way and then proceed to project this absurdity to the wider world.

CVD and stroke are the leading cause of death for both men and women in Canada and world wide. Would you like to provide the death stats for men vs women in Canada due to CVD and stroke? It kills more Women then Men in total numbers. You're in healthcare, give us the numbers! While you at it, seek mental help.
Wow I thought I was the only one who thought he had something wrong in the brain...sounds like one of those wanna be 'feminists' who is actually just a sociopath
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3121 posts
1013 upvotes
In most cases CVD is entirely preventable. The problem is the majority of people totally refuse to go on the diet and lifestyle change that can either halt the progression or in some cases reverse heart disease.
Jun 21, 2016
972 posts
332 upvotes
Stryker wrote:
May 20th, 2017 4:55 am
In most cases CVD is entirely preventable. The problem is the majority of people totally refuse to go on the diet and lifestyle change that can either halt the progression or in some cases reverse heart disease.
yea this is true, you get lots of signs ahead, even type 2 diabetics is reversible in most cases, as well as kidney failure, liver damage etc.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10417 posts
1354 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I don't know who designed this, but I find it repulsive:

Apr 1, 2015
98 posts
24 upvotes
Oakville
went vegetarian last December... vegan for the most part while i train (i run a lot) and i've found it really helps with my recovery.

dieting isn't for everyone and certainly isn't easy because we are creatures of comfort as well as habit...but being cognizant of what you eat is the important part. i wouldn't ever suggest for someone to go vegan or not to consume animal protein, but i'll always suggest cutting down on processed junk. the unnecessary sugar that gets thrown into 80% of whats on store shelves... even in the marketed 'healthy/low fat/organic' products is criminal and what is killing the population. you can stick to the suggested typical 'healthy' diet yet still intake 50-60+grams of sugar easily. any diet or food plan that gets you further away from that is a good one imo.
Jul 7, 2005
716 posts
68 upvotes
North York
MattSF wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 12:52 am
went vegetarian last December... vegan for the most part while i train (i run a lot) and i've found it really helps with my recovery.

dieting isn't for everyone and certainly isn't easy because we are creatures of comfort as well as habit...but being cognizant of what you eat is the important part. i wouldn't ever suggest for someone to go vegan or not to consume animal protein, but i'll always suggest cutting down on processed junk. the unnecessary sugar that gets thrown into 80% of whats on store shelves... even in the marketed 'healthy/low fat/organic' products is criminal and what is killing the population. you can stick to the suggested typical 'healthy' diet yet still intake 50-60+grams of sugar easily. any diet or food plan that gets you further away from that is a good one imo.
anything above 20g carbs a day is criminal!!!
Apr 1, 2015
98 posts
24 upvotes
Oakville
linsook wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 2:34 pm
anything above 20g carbs a day is criminal!!!
something something glycogen . .
Apr 18, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 6:50 pm
wow I thought if you have gout it's a life-long illness.

So now you never get attacked even eating high purine foods? Only when you eat fructose? Or do you not get attacked even when consuming fructose now?
yah it's life long if you never do anything about the actual cause and only treat the symptoms.
Never any attacks now, as long as I stay mostly clean in my diet. (clean means different to me than many people)
Apr 18, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
May 18th, 2017 12:40 pm
Thanks qman23, I've never heard of this before. I'll do some research on this fructose gout connection. Worst case, it does nothing for me. Best case, it helps. Nothing lost to look it up.
best wishes in your journey of discovery.
it was cool to find out that most mammals can make vitamin C (humans can't) and that the uric acid we do make is actually a powerful antioxidant much like Vit.C is.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6708 posts
1334 upvotes
Stryker wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 2:51 pm
Ever read about Dr. Ruth Heidrich Ph.D? She's actually 82 now, but she puts me to shame.
ever read about the world's oldest living person?
At 116, the world's oldest living person loves eating eggs every day
The egg routine started with a health crisis when Morano was 20. Suffering from anemia, she consulted a doctor who told her to eat three eggs a day: two raw and one cooked, the agency reported. She’s kept that diet for more than 90 years, which would amount to consuming more than 100,000 eggs.

"Emma has always eaten very few vegetables, very little fruit. When I met her, she ate three eggs per day, two raw in the morning and then an omelette at noon, and chicken at dinner," her current doctor, Carlo Bava, told AFP.
or how about this one?
World's oldest person, 116, eats diet of bacon and eggs
...holes keep getting poked in that cholesterol/ saturated fat myth
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel