Food & Drink

Can we have a mature discussion re vegetarianism/veganism?

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2017 11:42 pm
Apr 1, 2015
151 posts
35 upvotes
Oakville
linsook wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 2:34 pm
anything above 20g carbs a day is criminal!!!
something something glycogen . .
Apr 18, 2017
80 posts
47 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 6:50 pm
wow I thought if you have gout it's a life-long illness.

So now you never get attacked even eating high purine foods? Only when you eat fructose? Or do you not get attacked even when consuming fructose now?
yah it's life long if you never do anything about the actual cause and only treat the symptoms.
Never any attacks now, as long as I stay mostly clean in my diet. (clean means different to me than many people)
Apr 18, 2017
80 posts
47 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
May 18th, 2017 12:40 pm
Thanks qman23, I've never heard of this before. I'll do some research on this fructose gout connection. Worst case, it does nothing for me. Best case, it helps. Nothing lost to look it up.
best wishes in your journey of discovery.
it was cool to find out that most mammals can make vitamin C (humans can't) and that the uric acid we do make is actually a powerful antioxidant much like Vit.C is.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6945 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
Stryker wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 2:51 pm
Ever read about Dr. Ruth Heidrich Ph.D? She's actually 82 now, but she puts me to shame.
ever read about the world's oldest living person?
At 116, the world's oldest living person loves eating eggs every day
The egg routine started with a health crisis when Morano was 20. Suffering from anemia, she consulted a doctor who told her to eat three eggs a day: two raw and one cooked, the agency reported. She’s kept that diet for more than 90 years, which would amount to consuming more than 100,000 eggs.

"Emma has always eaten very few vegetables, very little fruit. When I met her, she ate three eggs per day, two raw in the morning and then an omelette at noon, and chicken at dinner," her current doctor, Carlo Bava, told AFP.
or how about this one?
World's oldest person, 116, eats diet of bacon and eggs
...holes keep getting poked in that cholesterol/ saturated fat myth
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
483 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
May 24th, 2017 1:12 am
ever read about the world's oldest living person?
At 116, the world's oldest living person loves eating eggs every day

or how about this one?
World's oldest person, 116, eats diet of bacon and eggs
...holes keep getting poked in that cholesterol/ saturated fat myth
Haha! I was going to say this too but didn't bother since OP wanted a mature discussion and apparently anything negative is not mature.

Eggs and steak is the common diet with old age. People don't understand whether people like it or not, the human body was meant to consume meat. If it wasn't, we wouldn't eat it, it would be toxic and we would get sick.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6945 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
May 24th, 2017 10:43 am
Haha! I was going to say this too but didn't bother since OP wanted a mature discussion and apparently anything negative is not mature.

Eggs and steak is the common diet with old age. People don't understand whether people like it or not, the human body was meant to consume meat. If it wasn't, we wouldn't eat it, it would be toxic and we would get sick.
nothing wrong with giving a legitimate opposing view point. the method in which you present that point often seems to be the issue.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
483 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
May 24th, 2017 1:36 pm
nothing wrong with giving a legitimate opposing view point. the method in which you present that point often seems to be the issue.

Eh, gotta be yourself, I guess that's just the way I am
Aug 7, 2016
62 posts
42 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
May 6th, 2017 4:37 pm
Perhaps everyone who eats meat should have to experience slaughtering it at least once. That would do more to promote respect for the product than anything. I know for sure I would be a vegetarian if I was the one who had to do the killing. We are so far removed from everything now that it is easy to disregard that something actually died so we could eat.
I think this is a very important and astute observation.
We have become so detached from our food, and this is the first generation to be completely insulated from agricultural background. Most prior generations had at least one grandparent or uncle/aunt that farmed.
Detachment from food is not only for meat eaters though, but for everyone who procures their food soley from supermarkets.
Look into what size of a garden and how much physical work it takes to feed a family for a year.
It gives great appreciation for ones food, and recognition of how we as a society are surviving with our present agricultural model, only by converting fossil fuels into food.
Last edited by Tceight on May 24th, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7403 posts
928 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
May 24th, 2017 10:43 am
Dude, I never said that and being *mature* doesn't mean you can't have differing views. Just imagine if you were talking to your nana, would you diss her like ppl here? LOL.

I don't get ppl that severely lack tact esp out-of-nowhere, they're basically acting as if they are reacting to ppl that called them jerks or whatever, but in actuality they themselves are the instigators.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
483 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
May 24th, 2017 10:17 pm
Dude, I never said that and being *mature* doesn't mean you can't have differing views. Just imagine if you were talking to your nana, would you diss her like ppl here? LOL.

I don't get ppl that severely lack tact esp out-of-nowhere, they're basically acting as if they are reacting to ppl that called them jerks or whatever, but in actuality they themselves are the instigators.
I said what someone suggested was idiotic, because it was. He said to buy more expensive meat in order to eat less? Does that not sound idiotic to you? If you had to cut down on sodium because of an heath issue arising, would you buy food that contains sodium at a more expensive price tag? Or would you just buy the same things but eat less?

Don't know what a 'nana' is, but I would tell any one in my family that if they suggested it. Do you think overweight individuals should buy expensive food so they eat less? :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7403 posts
928 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote:
May 25th, 2017 12:13 pm
I said what someone suggested was idiotic, because it was. He said to buy more expensive meat in order to eat less? Does that not sound idiotic to you? If you had to cut down on sodium because of an heath issue arising, would you buy food that contains sodium at a more expensive price tag? Or would you just buy the same things but eat less?

Don't know what a 'nana' is, but I would tell any one in my family that if they suggested it. Do you think overweight individuals should buy expensive food so they eat less? :facepalm:
That's not remotely the pt, which you obviously fail to see, i.e. you don't need to be a rude jerk when disagreeing w/ a person. You seem to think that the ONLY way to get your pt across is to be intentionally rude about it, which is totally wrong.

EDIT: nana=grandma
Aug 7, 2016
62 posts
42 upvotes
Three logical fallacies you might want to research, before calling others opinions idiotic.

Argumentum ab absurdo,
Argumentum ab hominem,
Argumentum ab lapidem
Last edited by Tceight on May 25th, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
483 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
May 25th, 2017 3:15 pm
That's not remotely the pt, which you obviously fail to see, i.e. you don't need to be a rude jerk when disagreeing w/ a person. You seem to think that the ONLY way to get your pt across is to be intentionally rude about it, which is totally wrong.

EDIT: nana=grandma
I can't tell if you're serious