Site Comments & Suggestions

Can we have a subforum for only american deals?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 1:58 pm
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
177 posts
44 upvotes

Can we have a subforum for only american deals?

I don't know if others find it annoying but I usually do when I look in the hot deals and I click this incredible deal only to realize that its USA only.
I don't live close to the border, even though majority of you guys do, so I'm not aware if it bugs others or not.

Would love to hear others opinions.
10 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10307 posts
16421 upvotes
Scarborough
The number of US deals that don't ship to Canada isn't very high and we try our best to label them as such in the thread title. If you come across one that isn't labelled properly please report it and we'll update the title.

My goal is not to further segregate the deal forums, but instead unify them. Through better tagging and the additional of personalization (being able to define what you want to see and don't want to see), we hope to create a better overall experience for all members. US deals is one of the tags/filters that I have on my list to apply to the new system. I wanted this system in place for this year but due to some unforeseen setbacks, we were unable to get it done this year.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Jun 15, 2016
134 posts
34 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 2:38 pm
The number of US deals that don't ship to Canada isn't very high and we try our best to label them as such in the thread title. If you come across one that isn't labelled properly please report it and we'll update the title.

My goal is not to further segregate the deal forums, but instead unify them. Through better tagging and the additional of personalization (being able to define what you want to see and don't want to see), we hope to create a better overall experience for all members. US deals is one of the tags/filters that I have on my list to apply to the new system. I wanted this system in place for this year but due to some unforeseen setbacks, we were unable to get it done this year.
I believe a USA deal section would be serve the site well. Do you see how popular the threads are that are regarding service providers like CBI, where you can ship a USA package to a P.O box and drive across the border to pick up.

The USA section would be catered to people that live near the border, or are willing to drive across the border to pickup it up.
Aug 20, 2009
6803 posts
1518 upvotes
Grimsby
I agree with Tom. I do a lot of cross-border stuff but the amount of deals related to it aren't really enough to justify a subforum IMO and it creates another area I have to read separately. I think expanding filtering/tagging options is more desirable than adding more subforums, we already have so many as it is.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10307 posts
16421 upvotes
Scarborough
Redmask wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 9:52 am
it creates another area I have to read separately
This is the main reason I'm against new deal forums/subforums. There's a better way to handle it and we just need to build it.
Nov 20, 2017
57 posts
50 upvotes
Would you consider adding a new "Hot Deals"-type forum for "International Pickups"? Or something?

A number of users are frustrated about how an increasing number of posts are for "US Pickup" deals that most Canadians can't access or encourage tariff-dodging, and the discussion has been derailing some threads in "Internet noise": e.g. [Amazon.COM (USA)] Amazon USA - Wyze Cam 1080p HD - $19.54USD
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon- ... d-2246850/

Arguments for keeping things as they are:
+ US deals apply to a lot of Canadians that have access to cross-border deals
+ Users can ignore deals that don't apply to them
- Non-Canadian deal alerts **very** annoying for Canadian users without access to that country, and just get useless "phone noise"
- "Just ignore it" logic permits people to post absurd deals to insane places ("if you happen to be going to France next weekend...")
* Maybe create some more advanced filters to permit users to sort out non-Canadian deals?

Arguments for adding international category:
+ Would allow users to subscribe to unique US/international deals that are relevant to them (people that regularly visit
+ Would declutter the Hot Deals forum from non-Canadian content
* Consider adding section for posts that states what country the deal is for? Set default to USA, but users could subscribe to countries that apply to them and receive alerts only for countries that apply to them

Arguments for banning posts that require international pickups:
+ Site is REDflagdeals, not ALLflag deals. (#notallflagsmatter.... here at least)
+ More reliable source of Canadian-only deals may entice more users to participate
- May lose traffic
* Can be part of a new ad campaign to draw more users (exclusively Canadian)
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3762 posts
930 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
If thread is clearly marked USA or Amazon.Com then pretty obvious it is USA related so explore if WANT to.

A separate USA forum fine also... 1st world problems :)

Most of our laptops bought on great deals in USA... with international warranty.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2660 posts
810 upvotes
Montreal
I've already mentioned this on the other thread, but here are my arguments against cross border pick up deals :

- If the package can't reach Canadians in Canada it's not truly a "Canadian deal".

- There are additional fees to picking up parcels by crossing the border and they aren't mentioned.

- It leaves out the vast majority of RFDers.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4485 posts
469 upvotes
Markham
TomRFD wrote: This is the main reason I'm against new deal forums/subforums. There's a better way to handle it and we just need to build it.
How about There is a tag for US deal such as “USdeal” and people can hide that tag if they want to
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
10307 posts
16421 upvotes
Scarborough
smartie wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 10:19 pm
How about There is a tag for US deal such as “USdeal” and people can hide that tag if they want to
That’s exactly how it would function. You’d be able to customize your default view to include only what you want to see. Filtering options would include deal categories, retailers, and other options such as US deals.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5813 posts
839 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
TomRFD wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 10:35 pm
That’s exactly how it would function. You’d be able to customize your default view to include only what you want to see. Filtering options would include deal categories, retailers, and other options such as US deals.
This sounds exciting. There are some retailers whose products don’t interest me.

I hope that posters would be required to include a geographic field. I find it unhelpful to see an apparently interesting deal subject, only to find upon reading that it is limited to GTA. (I rarely find non-GTA posters not includng a geographical limited deal without posting the location.)
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God