• Nov 15th, 2017 11:08 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5269 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)

Can we keep the dead threads dead?

Is there a way to expire inactive threads (say no new posts for 18+ mths) and automatically move them to the archived sections?

Some members seem to like resurrecting old threads and people start responding to the OP not realizing the OP was from like 5+ yrs ago and the thread itself has been inactive for for like 3+ yrs, or even worse, not since the original post.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
10 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8480 posts
12853 upvotes
Scarborough
We've had this idea for a while but it hasn't been a high priority feature for us. I can definitely see it being on the table for 2018 though.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27744 posts
787 upvotes
Dildo, NL
having the savoir-faire to search for a previously discussed thread is complimented.

Conversely, some morons criticize you for thread-reviving.

You can't win. lol.

The internet is becoming polluted with redundant threads. Use the original (if one exists), regardless to if it's been active all along, or you're the first post since a year.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11019 posts
1519 upvotes
City of Vancouver
It is easy for the reader to see the original dates of the dead thread. I think these threads still have value and should be kept alive. It's only when spammers start reviving random old threads relating to what they are selling that is annoying.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4746 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
I'm all for searching for "recently" discussed threads, but I overall I think forum discussion is better done on the fly than treating the boards like a library. If something was discussed more than 18 months ago, it's worth discussing again in a new thread if need be.

I'm finding these thread resurrections are getting more out of control. Being a forum based around shopping the retail landscape, economics, and consumer culture changes over a few years. Therefore a lot of bumped threads has a lot of information within the posts that is no longer valid.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5269 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
bubble.tea wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:11 pm
The internet is becoming polluted with redundant threads. Use the original (if one exists), regardless to if it's been active all along, or you're the first post since a year.
Yes there is an issue with redundant threads, people should be using the search function to see if there is an ACTIVE thread and post their questions and comments in there. The issue I'm trying to address are DEAD threads from years past being resurrected. The cases I'm more pointing at are not members seeking clarification for a problem but members who are literally responding to questions posed by the OP from year's ago as if the question was asked 5-minutes ago. This then leads to people responding to the OP not realizing that the original post is no longer valid.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2227 posts
2053 upvotes
Fredericton
bubble.tea wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:11 pm
having the savoir-faire to search for a previously discussed thread is complimented.

Conversely, some morons criticize you for thread-reviving.

You can't win. lol.

Seeing a thread with a blazing hot deal, titled, for example: Best Buy - Product X - $20, clicking into it, and discovering it's 10 pages long, has one post today asking a silly question, and the previous post being 6 months old, is madness. That in no way leads to a better browsing, or deal hunting experience for anybody.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1401 posts
741 upvotes
I'm totally in favour of keeping threads searchable... Always valuable info to be found

What I'm not in favour of is someone bringing forward a thread that is 5, 6, or 7 years old (have seen it hapening in both the Travel & Shopping Discussion Forums) with no new situational material... Just them adding a comment to the OP

Then other folks see this thread at the top of the pile and add on their comments too
With no one bothering to check the date

5 or 6 posts later someone realizes it something from 2010, but still folks don't read the replies... And more irrelevant comments get added on

Got to admit it is a tad funny when it happens in the Travel Forum...
Cause 5 years on and the guy may have been to Timbuktu & back several times

IMO, RDF really needs a way to close out additional comments to inactive threads that have gone dormant after a certain amount of lapsed time

It just makes sense
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8480 posts
12853 upvotes
Scarborough
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 7:12 am
I'm totally in favour of keeping threads searchable... Always valuable info to be found
Old stuff can and often is still quite useful so you'll always be able to search and find old content. It won't be a purge from the forum.

My early ideas involved creating an automatic lock age (1 year perhaps) and that part isn't really hard to do. To be able to continue the conversation I wanted there to be some mechanism to easily start a new thread on the same subject and automatically include a link back to the original thread(s). That part would require more work as it'd involve design, dev and more. I'll keep tabs on this thread to see if any new ideas pop up and when the time comes we can discuss the best option to move forward with.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27744 posts
787 upvotes
Dildo, NL
@TomRFD, can you please hook me up with a report of all our oldest & inactive threads? I want to start resurrecting the interesting ones...lawllllllllllz....jkjkjk!!!!! don't ban me! Who's got the record for the longest thread-revival?
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8480 posts
12853 upvotes
Scarborough
bubble.tea wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:47 am
@TomRFD, can you please hook me up with a report of all our oldest & inactive threads? I want to start resurrecting the interesting ones...lawllllllllllz....jkjkjk!!!!! don't ban me! Who's got the record for the longest thread-revival?
That's not something we track. I can say that I often disapprove posts from new members which would be in the range of a 8-10 year bump.