Can we keep the dead threads dead?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2018 12:02 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2127 posts
725 upvotes
Ontario
A change of colour or some type of pop up/indicator should be used to identify if the thread is say 1year+ old. That way new people know immediately it is old and will respond accordingly.
Sep 30, 2001
27828 posts
6878 upvotes
Toronto
Dynasty12345 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 11:15 pm
A change of colour or some type of pop up/indicator should be used to identify if the thread is say 1year+ old. That way new people know immediately it is old and will respond accordingly.
a change of colour is a pretty neat idea actually.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8949 posts
5242 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Dynasty12345 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 11:15 pm
Although I still believe that very old threads that have had no new posts in years (2+ yrs) should still be archived, a change in colour for more recent old threads without new posts (i.e. within 1-2yrs) sounds reasonable. It would have to be a bold outlandish colour to ensure the member knows it's an older thread though. Going with RFD colour scheme, I suppose that would have to be a bright RED, but something even more off colour like Orange would definitely get your attention.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8949 posts
5242 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Bah!!! I got tricked into replying to a resurrected automotive thread from 2005! I myself should have checked the date of the resurrected thread before replying.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1580 posts
578 upvotes
London
chimaican wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 4:14 pm
Bah!!! I got tricked into replying to a resurrected automotive thread from 2005!
Apparently others have no issue with revivals of 2005 threads, based on responses to my comment in a thread about Lasers vs. Inkjet.
Obviously, I disagree.

Often searches aren't done and there are redundant threads which should be one, especially when they have the same questions and answers as previous.
There are also revived threads which only vaguely resemble the original topic, and a new one should have been started.
Common sense should apply as to which to use, but unfortunately that is lacking.

Anything which involves deals or choices on evolving technology, changing pricing, comparisons of relative value, etc. should have a limit.
Those are time relevant.

Examples of the type of items which I see as appropriate to revive:
- A thread may be started about a new TV series and it is discussed. Many years later it is finally cancelled and someone announces it on the tail end of an existing thread. Discussion continues.
- Product X comes out and there is a big discussion about a feature or firmware, etc. Years later, after a lull, new firmware comes out, and the announcement is added to the discussion.
Recognize too that people may have had an interest in the original discussion and subscribed to get followups.
This way, they get those notices.

These rules are hard to encode.
I like the different colour or similar method to help people not get trapped.
Maybe there could be a time limit where if a thread is revived, continued posts are locked until a moderator makes a decision on whether the revival is warranted.
Maybe an "are you sure this is justified" confirmation if someone attempts to post to an old thread. For whatever reason, some don't even consider it may be a breach of etiquette and that gives pause.