Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14718 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto

Can We Thread Link In Our Signatures?

Can't remember if this can be done (anymore)?

So I have a thread, I want people to see it, I was thinking about linking it in my signature.
Or
Maybe just mentioning it in my signature, letting people look it up for themselves or obviously clicking on my name to carry on ...

I'd rather not get banned for something silly, so I ask ahead of time :D
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3527 posts
2246 upvotes
Burnaby
DaVibe wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 7:22 pm
Can We Thread Link In Our Signatures?

Can't remember if this can be done (anymore)?

So I have a thread, I want people to see it, I was thinking about linking it in my signature.
Or
Maybe just mentioning it in my signature, letting people look it up for themselves or obviously clicking on my name to carry on ...

I'd rather not get banned for something silly, so I ask ahead of time :D
IINM, RFD is allowing linking threads in signatures from most discussion forum categories -- like Personal Finance, Shopping Discussion, etc. -- and also from BST. There might be peeps linking Off Topic threads but I haven't come across one -- maybe because I've been browsing the forums with the settings for displaying avatars and signatures set to NO.

Anyway, I don't think RFD should allow linking Off Topic threads or Off Topic Expired threads or Off Topic Politics, Religion and Controversial threads. Linking OT threads in signatures could be readily used (actually abused) as a mechanism for pushing agendas, increasing visibility of propaganda, political (etc) activism, trolling, flame baiting and the like. OT content should be contained (restricted) to OT.

IMO, allowing linking threads in signatures is a very poor practice: it's just crossposting which is akin to spamming.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14718 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
aviador wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 7:53 pm
IINM, RFD is allowing linking threads in signatures from most discussion forum categories -- like Personal Finance, Shopping Discussion, etc. -- and also from BST. There might be peeps linking Off Topic threads but I haven't come across one -- maybe because I've been browsing the forums with the settings for displaying avatars and signatures set to NO.

Anyway, I don't think RFD should allow linking Off Topic threads or Off Topic Expired threads or Off Topic Politics, Religion and Controversial threads. Linking OT threads in signatures could be readily used (actually abused) as a mechanism for pushing agendas, increasing visibility of propaganda, political (etc) activism, trolling, flame baiting and the like. OT content should be contained (restricted) to OT.

IMO, allowing linking threads in signatures is a very poor practice: it's just crossposting which is akin to spamming.
But RFD users are pretty good at reporting and RFD is pretty good at taking action. So, if something isn't to someone's liking, like something political or propaganda based, I'm sure someone would flag the user and it would be removed.
Someone spammed me and I clicked on their name today and they were already banned. I flag stuff all the time and it gets dealt with quickly.

Even if I don't link the thread with a hyperlink in the text, I might just mention another thread here on RFD, which A LOT of people seem to do.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3527 posts
2246 upvotes
Burnaby
DaVibe wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 7:58 pm
But RFD users are pretty good at reporting and RFD is pretty good at taking action. So, if something isn't to someone's liking, like something political or propaganda based, I'm sure someone would flag the user and it would be removed.
Someone spammed me and I clicked on their name today and they were already banned. I flag stuff all the time and it gets dealt with quickly.

Even if I don't link the thread with a hyperlink in the text, I might just mention another thread here on RFD, which A LOT of people seem to do.
I saw your updated signature. You're not the first rfdealer to link a lottery purchase group in their signature. UrbanPoet, supermario (I think these are their aliases, but I may be mistaken), ... among others have had links to threads and/or advertised their lottery groups for years. I've always thought that this kind of threads should be in the Group Deals category and not in Off Topic, though.

IMO, advertising or linking (legitimate and compliant) BST or group deal threads in signatures could be reasonable use of the signature [it adds effectiveness to the authorized free BST advertisement feature offered by redflagdeals]

Unfortunately, there are a lot of members abusing their signature for advertising products/companies/themselves and/or doing repeat sales (i.e., using the forums commercially for free, which is not authorized by the ToS). Some of these spammers are quite crafty so as to not break the current rules in an obvious manner.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14718 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
aviador wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 6:01 pm
I saw your updated signature. You're not the first rfdealer to link a lottery purchase group in their signature. UrbanPoet, supermario (I think these are their aliases, but I may be mistaken), ... among others have had links to threads and/or advertised their lottery groups for years. I've always thought that this kind of threads should be in the Group Deals category and not in Off Topic, though.

IMO, advertising or linking (legitimate and compliant) BST or group deal threads in signatures could be reasonable use of the signature [it adds effectiveness to the authorized free BST advertisement feature offered by redflagdeals]

Unfortunately, there are a lot of members abusing their signature for advertising products/companies/themselves and/or doing repeat sales (i.e., using the forums commercially for free, which is not authorized by the ToS). Some of these spammers are quite crafty so as to not break the current rules in an obvious manner.
Mine is in Group Deals :D

Thought I'd try it until someone says something lol
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9757 posts
14786 upvotes
Scarborough
As a rule of thumb, if the link is to something on RedFlagDeals, it's most likely fine. If you're unsure, just ask myself or any of the moderators.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].