• May 21st, 2019 9:55 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1792 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto

Can a web designer steal my website?

Hey looking to hire a web designer and wondered if they could just steal my content and sell
It on their own site? How to prevent this?
37 replies
Nov 6, 2015
712 posts
313 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Maybe write up a contract that essentially says "you may not steal my content and sell it on your site"? Better get somebody local where you can actually enforce that, though.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14331 posts
4189 upvotes
Here 'n There
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 1:18 am
Hey looking to hire a web designer and wondered if they could just steal my content and sell
It on their own site? How to prevent this?
Anyone can do anything. No way to prevent it except try to get someone honest, if they prove not to be then ask them to stop and if they don't then sue.

In other words, your mostly SOL if they are fraudsters. The way I prevent it is I design all my websites myself.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9749 posts
6138 upvotes
Edmonton
Define "content"... If you post it on the web, it's possible for it to be stolen and used for whatever someone wants to do.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1792 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 2:07 pm
Define "content"... If you post it on the web, it's possible for it to be stolen and used for whatever someone wants to do.

C
It’s content I am
Creating from scratch videos etc
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1792 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 12:18 pm
Anyone can do anything. No way to prevent it except try to get someone honest, if they prove not to be then ask them to stop and if they don't then sue.

In other words, your mostly SOL if they are fraudsters. The way I prevent it is I design all my websites myself.
Yea I’m trying to learn Wordpress it’s so hard I’m thinking if I go to their place and they use my computer to do the work that way my files will only be in my possession
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14331 posts
4189 upvotes
Here 'n There
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 9:14 pm
Yea I’m trying to learn Wordpress it’s so hard I’m thinking if I go to their place and they use my computer to do the work that way my files will only be in my possession
There is a learning curve to Wordpress but it's well worth the investment in time. I love that I can just go in and change things at any time on my own from anywhere in the world.

While they can use your computer to do the work it's easy for them to copy the files when you aren't looking not to mention you could be sitting there for hours and hours multiple times. And then what if you need changes, and there are many on an ongoing basis? You gonna run over to them every time? It's totally impractical.
Banned
Jan 13, 2019
16 posts
5 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 9:57 pm
There is a learning curve to Wordpress but it's well worth the investment in time. I love that I can just go in and change things at any time on my own from anywhere in the world.

While they can use your computer to do the work it's easy for them to copy the files when you aren't looking not to mention you could be sitting there for hours and hours multiple times. And then what if you need changes, and there are many on an ongoing basis? You gonna run over to them every time? It's totally impractical.

For any changes in wordpress, one does not need to reinvent the wheel. Just selecting the relevant pages in the dash and click in the relevant module and make the changes. It's robust and incredibly flexible: that's the advantage of wordpress. For changes, it's quite easy to do so.
Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 16th, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1615 posts
1096 upvotes
Canada
Why would anyone steal ur video?

If u put it on youtube anyone can dl it.

Unless its ur own sexy video...
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14331 posts
4189 upvotes
Here 'n There
FlyingBizman wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:45 pm

For any changes in wordpress, one does not need to reinvent the wheel. Just selecting the relevant pages in the dash and click in the relevant module and make the changes. It's robust and incredibly flexible: that's the advantage of wordpress. For changes, it's quite easy to do so.

If you want the latter be prepared to invest some time to learn wordpress properly and about installing themes, which ones are appropriate, modifying the child theme, various woocommerce development environments, installing and configuring plugins, some custom css, optimizing page load times, employing SEO, google analytics, auto backups, cpanel, etc. (and that's only 10% of it if you want a website that is even mildly competitive).
Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 16th, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9749 posts
6138 upvotes
Edmonton
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 9:13 pm
It’s content I am
Creating from scratch videos etc
You could get them to design a "website" (in air quotes due to WordPress) using placeholder videos, and then they can show you how to update the videos when you're ready to flip the switch and go live.

C
Banned
Jan 13, 2019
16 posts
5 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 3:46 pm

If you want the latter be prepared to invest some time to learn wordpress properly and about installing themes, which ones are appropriate, modifying the child theme, various woocommerce development environments, installing and configuring plugins, some custom css, optimizing page load times, employing SEO, google analytics, auto backups, cpanel, etc. (and that's only 10% of it if you want a website that is even mildly competitive).
Wordpress requires a basic competence level. *, let's examine what wordpress is. It's not an elementary level code that any newbie can do. HTML: maybe, not wordpress. So, anyone working in wordpress will have some coding experience, which of course, makes it obvious that it will not be an amateurish site, but a sleek one. Anyone familiar with coding will tell you the same thing.

Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 16th, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rude
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9749 posts
6138 upvotes
Edmonton
FlyingBizman wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 4:24 pm
Wordpress requires a basic competence level. *, let's examine what wordpress is. It's not an elementary level code that any newbie can do. HTML: maybe, not wordpress. So, anyone working in wordpress will have some coding experience, which of course, makes it obvious that it will not be an amateurish site, but a sleek one. Anyone familiar with coding will tell you the same thing.

WordPress is specifically designed for newbies and other users who don't want to learn the ins and outs of website development. Anyone who's truly familiar with coding will tell you the same thing. I've got 20 years of software development background, including 8 years of website development for municipalities and utility companies. And when I volunteered to pick up our golf league's WordPress based website, I wanted to throw it away and start over because it wouldn't let me do what I wanted to do. Yeah, you can put together something easily and quickly. But the limitations quickly become apparent.

C
Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 16th, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited
Jul 6, 2017
102 posts
49 upvotes
If you're posting videos on a website, basically anyone can steal them easily. You should budget time and money for copyright enforcement if they're so important.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15962 posts
6140 upvotes
For the most part anyone can come by and "steal" your website content. If you are worried about your web designer taking it, hire a designer that lives within Canada so that you have recourse in enforcing your contract and material. However that still does not stop someone from coming across your site, saying "That's a cool video" and downloading it.

I would strongly consider you evaluate your strategy if it relies upon people not being able to copy your videos.