Can a web designer steal my website?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2019 12:30 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1328 posts
169 upvotes
Markham, ON
Why would a web designer steal your content and sell? The web designer's job is to design a web.

Make sure you hire a professional, who loves web designing and love to help people put their website together. A plus would be that that person will not be interested in your content at all.

What do you mean by a web designer? How big of a project are we talking about?

Fyi, I am not a web designer and I am not looking to hire one but those will be the questions I might be asking.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1328 posts
169 upvotes
Markham, ON
Again, I don't know what you mean by content but if the content of your website is so important to you, you should be the source of information for whatever content you are talking about.

You enforce it by telling all copycats that you are making am update and telling them to update their content to match with you otherwise their web become outdated.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8007 posts
4735 upvotes
Edmonton
Poppwl wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:10 am
Again, I don't know what you mean by content but if the content of your website is so important to you, you should be the source of information for whatever content you are talking about.

You enforce it by telling all copycats that you are making am update and telling them to update their content to match with you otherwise their web become outdated.
Her content is, I believe, online courses. So if someone was to download the material, they could turn around and set up a similar site and sell the content.

C
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1328 posts
169 upvotes
Markham, ON
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:29 am
Her content is, I believe, online courses. So if someone was to download the material, they could turn around and set up a similar site and sell the content.

C
Courses served at restaurant? I would like a "fancy food item" as my main course.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13219 posts
3418 upvotes
Here 'n There
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 4:48 pm
WordPress is specifically designed for newbies and other users who don't want to learn the ins and outs of website development. Anyone who's truly familiar with coding will tell you the same thing. I've got 20 years of software development background, including 8 years of website development for municipalities and utility companies. And when I volunteered to pick up our golf league's WordPress based website, I wanted to throw it away and start over because it wouldn't let me do what I wanted to do. Yeah, you can put together something easily and quickly. But the limitations quickly become apparent.

C
Actually if you investigate some of the themes, plugins and the other stuff I mentioned it's amazing what you can do with Wordpress & Woocommerce. Your problem is you gave up without actually becoming familiar with the platform. No wonder you wanted to throw it away. 20 yrs of software development and 8 years of website development means nothing if that's how you handle new platforms. I have had custom website developers be amazed with what I've been able to do with Wordpress & Woocommerce.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3915 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:54 am
Actually if you investigate some of the themes, plugins and the other stuff I mentioned it's amazing what you can do with Wordpress & Woocommerce. Your problem is you gave up without actually becoming familiar with the platform. No wonder you wanted to throw it away. 20 yrs of software development and 8 years of website development means nothing if that's how you handle new platforms. I have had custom website developers be amazed with what I've been able to do with Wordpress & Woocommerce.
yeah wordpress is pretty easy. there are some REALLY good youtube tutorials on how to build a wordpress site... they navigate all the great plugins.
I build a few websites for fun to play around with it... but never set up a sales sight.

I think if someone can use a computer fairly well (e.g. can you make a new folder on C drive?) then you can make a wordpress site. depending on how complex you want to make it, you can get a pretty decent site up in under 4 hours... you can just copy the youtube viddoes.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13219 posts
3418 upvotes
Here 'n There
daivey wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:29 pm
yeah wordpress is pretty easy. there are some REALLY good youtube tutorials on how to build a wordpress site... they navigate all the great plugins.
I build a few websites for fun to play around with it... but never set up a sales sight.

I think if someone can use a computer fairly well (e.g. can you make a new folder on C drive?) then you can make a wordpress site. depending on how complex you want to make it, you can get a pretty decent site up in under 4 hours... you can just copy the youtube viddoes.
I agree. I found setting up a basic wordpress site was pretty easy. Adding woocommerce really started to complicate things as you are adding product listings, a payment processor engine, etc. I also spent a lot of time learning different theme page builders to see which would give me what I wanted. The canned themes just didn't do it for me. So, the hard part which was probably 95% of the work after I got the basic site up and running was adding the fine-tuning that made the site look really professional and super-custom designed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1369 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 7:41 am
I agree. I found setting up a basic wordpress site was pretty easy. Adding woocommerce really started to complicate things as you are adding product listings, a payment processor engine, etc. I also spent a lot of time learning different theme page builders to see which would give me what I wanted. The canned themes just didn't do it for me. So, the hard part which was probably 95% of the work after I got the basic site up and running was adding the fine-tuning that made the site look really professional and super-custom designed.
Can you guys tell
Me what info I would need to give a web designer is there a thing they don’t need to know? I’m worried I’ll have to hand over my web password etc
[external advertising link removed]
Nov 6, 2015
673 posts
260 upvotes
Guelph, ON
FlyingBizman wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 4:24 pm
Wordpress requires a basic competence level. *, let's examine what wordpress is. It's not an elementary level code that any newbie can do. HTML: maybe, not wordpress. So, anyone working in wordpress will have some coding experience, which of course, makes it obvious that it will not be an amateurish site, but a sleek one. Anyone familiar with coding will tell you the same thing.
Err, you realize that HTML is a building block of WordPress, not the other way around? A professional programmer who knows HTML, javascript, CSS, etc., can create anything you can create in WordPress, or even create the equivalent of WordPress itself. WordPress was created for non-professional programmers, equivalent to Microsoft Access is targeted to non-database professionals creating simple databases and interfaces.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13219 posts
3418 upvotes
Here 'n There
JoeBlack23 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 7:15 pm
Err, you realize that HTML is a building block of WordPress, not the other way around? A professional programmer who knows HTML, javascript, CSS, etc., can create anything you can create in WordPress, or even create the equivalent of WordPress itself. WordPress was created for non-professional programmers, equivalent to Microsoft Access is targeted to non-database professionals creating simple databases and interfaces.
Exactly. FlyingBizman is clueless about anything to do with Wordpress, but no surprise.
Banned
Jan 13, 2019
16 posts
5 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 4:48 pm
WordPress is specifically designed for newbies and other users who don't want to learn the ins and outs of website development. Anyone who's truly familiar with coding will tell you the same thing. I've got 20 years of software development background, including 8 years of website development for municipalities and utility companies. And when I volunteered to pick up our golf league's WordPress based website, I wanted to throw it away and start over because it wouldn't let me do what I wanted to do. Yeah, you can put together something easily and quickly. But the limitations quickly become apparent.

C
It may tout itself to be designed for the newbies, but is it? Yeah, if its Basic basic website, maybe. But like you said, once anyone tries to customize it, or do anything out of the box, it's a nightmare. Besides, which add on will result in more functionality is also like a crap shoot. I had seen someone design, in a project I was involved in, most of the website, and integrate a third party module, only to find out later that another one would fit the objectives of the website better. After going ahead 95%, (and we have considerable previous coding experience) we found we had to discard the basic template and work on another one. So maybe theoretically, its designed for newbies, but in reality, to get a good quality product, experience is needed IMO
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13219 posts
3418 upvotes
Here 'n There
FlyingBizman wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 11:49 pm
It may tout itself to be designed for the newbies, but is it? Yeah, if its Basic basic website, maybe. But like you said, once anyone tries to customize it, or do anything out of the box, it's a nightmare. Besides, which add on will result in more functionality is also like a crap shoot. I had seen someone design, in a project I was involved in, most of the website, and integrate a third party module, only to find out later that another one would fit the objectives of the website better. After going ahead 95%, (and we have considerable previous coding experience) we found we had to discard the basic template and work on another one. So maybe theoretically, its designed for newbies, but in reality, to get a good quality product, experience is needed IMO
I have done a high degree of customization of my Wordpress with Woocommerce websites and it is not a nightmare, but it does take time. The add-ons are not a crap-shoot. Yes you might find a theme or plugin that might not do what you want but then you switch to another one. Wordpress is designed for those wanting both basic websites up to very sophisticated professional ones. I know many developers who work exclusively with Wordpress for their clients and it's amazing what they can do (and what I have been able to do). There are a few small tweaks that I was unable to do that required some custom CSS and I hired a developer to make those small adjustments. Cost me a few hundred bucks. Big deal.

Don't be put off by negative comments like this about Wordpress and Woocommerce from people who don't have experience (not to mentioned are banned from RFD!).
Jun 25, 2011
333 posts
111 upvotes
Alberta
Jeez never seen a paranoid person like OP before. If you are going to put it online then rest assured there is no way you may actually stop the total piracy of your content. Several big companies with money and legal team struggled in this area. Secondly, I don't know what you are creating which makes you think that other will copy it and call it own but if you do not trust the person who is going to hire to design your website then it will be better to do it yourself.
Dec 21, 2009
117 posts
60 upvotes
Oakville
Heavenleigh85 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 6:30 pm
Can you guys tell
Me what info I would need to give a web designer is there a thing they don’t need to know? I’m worried I’ll have to hand over my web password etc
Hey - Im a partner at a digital ad agency we run, so from my experience on the web development part - you would need to hand over password to access the main domain and host server.

As a beginner - I'd definitely recommend using bluehost and then connecting it to word press. Like eonibm said, the time/effort comes from taking an existing theme and customizing it to your own specs and adding plug ins.

The added benefit is you can download a lot of paid plugins for free if you know where to find them. I'd also recommend elementor pro (this can also be downloaded for free and installed if you know where) - it allows click and drag customization , but also custom html - which you can rip from other sites and customize to your design. Also plenty of tutorials online.

What exactly is your business - if you reach out to any web development company, their business is exactly that - they don't have time to steal your business even if they wanted to.

pm me if you need help figuring out the plugins part.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13219 posts
3418 upvotes
Here 'n There
haskay wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:22 pm
Hey - Im a partner at a digital ad agency we run, so from my experience on the web development part - you would need to hand over password to access the main domain and host server.

As a beginner - I'd definitely recommend using bluehost and then connecting it to word press. Like eonibm said, the time/effort comes from taking an existing theme and customizing it to your own specs and adding plug ins.

The added benefit is you can download a lot of paid plugins for free if you know where to find them.
Downloading paid plugins for free is theft and does not pay the creator of the plugin for the hard work they do. I pay for all my plugins and the cost is minimal, a few hundred bucks a year if that.

Never heard of elementor pro, but there are a million different page builders out there. You just have to test some and see what works for you. No size fits all...