• May 23rd, 2009 10:18 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 11, 2008
425 posts
2 upvotes

Can a wireless router reach the second floor from the basement

? I know nothing whatsoever about wireless routers.

We've only used wired connections in the past. I figured it's more stable/secure and fast. But now we're putting another computer on a second floor, and I don't want to drill holes all over the house for the ethernet cables. Currently the main desktop is in the basement, would the signal be strong enough? Both flights of stairs combined is 26 steps.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2241 posts
135 upvotes
if it's a standard construction house (wood framing) it shouldn't have any issues.

It is better to have it the router higher and broadcast down.
Sep 12, 2008
241 posts
10 upvotes
Can a wireless router reach the second floor from the basement

Hmm, I'm not sure, but if it's any help, my wireless router can reach the basement from my second floor... ;)
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13539 posts
1204 upvotes
Montreal
petey123 wrote:
May 19th, 2009 2:54 pm
? I know nothing whatsoever about wireless routers.

We've only used wired connections in the past. I figured it's more stable/secure and fast. But now we're putting another computer on a second floor, and I don't want to drill holes all over the house for the ethernet cables. Currently the main desktop is in the basement, would the signal be strong enough? Both flights of stairs combined is 26 steps.
Depends on the composition of the floors and walls, and the angle at which you penetrate the floors and walls.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7635 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I have my wireless router on the top floor of the house at one end and it reaches through the main level and to the basement on the other side of the house.

You should be fine. But if you are cable to run a cat5e/6 cable to this 2nd computer it will be MUCH better in terms of security/speed etc you cant beat hard cable when compared to wireless
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2003
2347 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
My primary router is in the basement and the signal reaches the 2nd floor just fine.

However, the only way you'll know for sure is to try it and see what happens.

There are many variables which will affect the signal including the building itself, other sources or RF radiation in the neighborhood, (cordless phones, microwaves, etc.) and even, to some extent, the weather. (atmospheric conditions can have an effect on a the signal)

There's no absolute, but unless you live in a concrete bunker, I suspect you'll get something usable.

--Pete
Remember: We elect the government we deserve.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5420 posts
383 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I used to have a router on the 2nd floor and my laptop picks up the signal no problem. It's a little weaker down there but signal is very usable.

Depending on your house, your router, and your wifi adaptor, you might get different results. Also interference from other wireless devices (wireless phone, wireless keyboard/mouse, etc) as well as internal electrical wiring might affect your signal as well.

Best way is to test it and if it's not running well you can always find wyas to improve it.
There's a sucker born every minute.
[OP]
May 11, 2008
425 posts
2 upvotes
thanks for the responses. It's pretty standard house, wood and drywall, but I suppose we will just have to try it for ourselves. Top down is better eh...? The thing is my better desktop is going downstairs and the one on the second floor is slower so I wanted the basement to have the nice connection :)

Are linksys still the best wireless routers? What's the difference between the "n" and "g" ones.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
4614 posts
889 upvotes
Mississauga
it shouldn't be a problem .. but if you ended up seeing issues, just buy a repeater or wireless extender . also upgrade your standard router antenna to the 7db one. Nowadays some routers comes with 7db omni directional antennas
Jan 12, 2009
718 posts
9 upvotes
my n router which i got for like $20, shows 54% connection (far side of basement to adapter on top floor) but i can still dl at max speeds (think 450kbs) :cheesygri
it only goes off when my internet goes offxD

oh and i transfer files between computers with my n router at 5megaybytes/sec :twisted:
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
Depends on how many water pipes, concrete walls, and metal pipes, and other 2.4 devices (cordless phones, yours or neighbors), and of course distance and capability of router and the wireless receiving device.

Short answer is try it and see.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14371 posts
1310 upvotes
Oshawa
Get a directional antenna for the PC NIC, and point it right at the router. I picked up one for about $11 at Princess Auto.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3163 posts
44 upvotes
depends on the house and also what type of router. the strongest signal is from a 802.11n router so that's your best bet. also if you can get a directional antenna and point it up, the signal should reach higher.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14054 posts
756 upvotes
Markham
Gee wrote:
May 20th, 2009 11:42 am
The only way to know for sure it to try it.
+1 my signal quality changes greatly when i angle the antenna differently, but otherwise my wrt54gl can reach second floor from the basement just fine
ShadowVlican
× < >