Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14410 posts
1052 upvotes
Toronto

Can you define happiness?

More to the point, can happiness be derived without money. A homeless person with no possession of monetary value would be hard pressed to find happiness in their day to day life.

For instance, I'm most happy when I get lost in the world of music or when I play an instrument. That could be construed as free after the initial purchase. the world could be burning I wouldn't know or care.

Another example is a person who lives in a remote village. Does this person without concept of the Western world of materialism even care? As long as they have a roof over their head and food to fill their tummy they are pretty happy. Of course that is not enough for many of us here ilicing in c anada trying to keep up with the Joneses. Is the concept of happiness subjective?
58 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4732 posts
334 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
May 18th, 2017 1:44 am
More to the point, can happiness be derived without money. A homeless person with no possession of monetary value would be hard pressed to find happiness in their day to day life.

For instance, I'm most happy when I get lost in the world of music or when I play an instrument. That could be construed as free after the initial purchase. the world could be burning I wouldn't know or care.

Another example is a person who lives in a remote village. Does this person without concept of the Western world of materialism even care? As long as they have a roof over their head and food to fill their tummy they are pretty happy. Of course that is not enough for many of us here ilicing in c anada trying to keep up with the Joneses. Is the concept of happiness subjective?
Yes, the concept of happiness is subjective.

Imagine two person:

1. Content with his/her life.
2. Kept on reaching for the next milestone.

Both of them can be said to be happy as long as that's what they truly wanted, but their happiness are quite different. The whole drive behind the second person was that he/she was never content.
May 21, 2013
686 posts
245 upvotes
Montreal
Being stress free and healthy is where happiness is in my books.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23737 posts
1611 upvotes
Hamilton
Paying off mortgage monthly
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1806 posts
211 upvotes
In another world
I watched a documentary of a monk community. They live secluded but in a happy state of mind.
They raise their own fowl and harvest their own crops. They get water from a waterfall nearby.
Once in a while they go to a town to get some seeds or basic stuff, but they're mostly self dependant. And how do they get their stuff? By trading.
Money is out of the equation for them.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4732 posts
334 upvotes
gontori wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:51 am
I watched a documentary of a monk community. They live secluded but in a happy state of mind.
They raise their own fowl and harvest their own crops. They get water from a waterfall nearby.
Once in a while they go to a town to get some seeds or basic stuff, but they're mostly self dependant. And how do they get their stuff? By trading.
Money is out of the equation for them.
But did they choose to live that life or was it due to ignorance (especially for the younger generation)?

As Cypher said, "If I had to choose between that and the matrix, I'd choose the matrix".
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1806 posts
211 upvotes
In another world
Archanfel wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:55 am
But did they choose to live that life or was it due to ignorance (especially for the younger generation)?

As Cypher said, "If I had to choose between that and the matrix, I'd choose the matrix".
They chose to live that life.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1457 posts
609 upvotes
Hamilton
My happiness is directly proportionate to how many likes/followers I have on Instagram.
Sep 19, 2013
883 posts
226 upvotes
Winnipeg
going to poop in the office toilet and finding a clean stall....

oh wait, thats another thread.... never mind :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8169 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
Being happy, for me, is being stress free and not having too many worries lingering, such as finances and job security and whatnot. Also, being able to do what I want to do when I want to do it and not having to have someone say "No, you can't do this or that". So basically, not having someone control what I do.

Right now I'm pretty happy!
May 6, 2007
960 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
May 18th, 2017 1:44 am
More to the point, can happiness be derived without money.
This part reminded me to this video I watched a few years ago. Basically it says that money buys happiness up to a point - where people don't have to worry about food, shelter, education, a trip every now and then, etc. But after that, having an increase in money doesn't really lead to a happier life. Note that I have no idea where they go their sources from but it does make sense.

Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4732 posts
334 upvotes
TigerLilly wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:38 pm
This part reminded me to this video I watched a few years ago. Basically it says that money buys happiness up to a point - where people don't have to worry about food, shelter, education, a trip every now and then, etc. But after that, having an increase in money doesn't really lead to a happier life. Note that I have no idea where they go their sources from but it does make sense.

That's assuming the only way to use money is to "spend" it. Spending money does often have diminishing returns. However, people often get happiness from investing the money or just having the money.
Jan 2, 2015
960 posts
357 upvotes
Being content with your inner self and what you have.

Trouble is most people are challenged to know what in life they really want. Money can help bring that to fruition, but u less one knows what brings them joy then money is not the resolve. I know very wealthy people, and they are not happy for many reason. Money is merely a tool and brings choices. If the person doesn't know what their choices will produce the desired result of happiness then they will never be happy, They have actually had studies that tracked lottery winners and have found those who repoerted happiness before their winning we just as happy or happier after they won, those who generally were unhappy in life before their winnings were just as unhappy or unhappier than when they won. They attribute it too that those already unhappy expected that happiness would bestowed upon them with new found wealth, but they didn't have the tools before and now didn't know how to use it.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15017 posts
3985 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Happiness occurs when number of **** given = nil
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game