• May 29th, 2017 11:45 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4687 posts
333 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote:
May 18th, 2017 6:13 pm
Being content with your inner self and what you have.

Trouble is most people are challenged to know what in life they really want. Money can help bring that to fruition, but u less one knows what brings them joy then money is not the resolve. I know very wealthy people, and they are not happy for many reason. Money is merely a tool and brings choices. If the person doesn't know what their choices will produce the desired result of happiness then they will never be happy, They have actually had studies that tracked lottery winners and have found those who repoerted happiness before their winning we just as happy or happier after they won, those who generally were unhappy in life before their winnings were just as unhappy or unhappier than when they won. They attribute it too that those already unhappy expected that happiness would bestowed upon them with new found wealth, but they didn't have the tools before and now didn't know how to use it.
nasa25 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:29 pm
Happiness occurs when number of **** given = nil
But if you are always content or don't give a ****, how can you be driven to reach higher and be more successful?
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14733 posts
3791 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Archanfel wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:45 pm
But if you are always content or don't give a ****, how can you be driven to reach higher and be more successful?
Depends on if you associate success and happiness
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Jan 2, 2015
945 posts
336 upvotes
Archanfel wrote:
Being content and not care are not the same thing. I am very driven but know what matters to me. I am not chasing things for the matter of the chase.

What is considered successful? Money? Career? Learning? Selfulment? Family? Stuff?

The problem with many people is they gage their happiness on external measures. Are they keeping up with the Jones, are they better than some one else etc.

Here's the thing, there is always some one better than you at something. So if it's the challenge that one feels to being the best, then by all means pursue that. I am sure Olympic and professional athletes get great joy.

I think the trick is knowing what drives you, which is different than not caring. If one is doing what drives them, then they will be happy. its also possible to have multiple drivers. Attitude is also a huge factor in happiness. Studies show those how look at what they are missing are less happy than those who show gratitude.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7160 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
Sadly, this is a $-driven world, no one can escape this fact. So, one needs to have FYM in order to be free and to do whatever they want. However, not many ppl can achieve this so we have to make due w/ varying degrees of happiness depending on one's overall situation.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14325 posts
1025 upvotes
Archanfel wrote:
That mindset is inherently what's stopping people from ahhlchirving inner bliss for a want of better term. Provided you have enough to eat and a rood over tour head today and Noe, that's all you really require to be happy. To be alive and able to enjoy what nature provides for free is all really one needs for peace within.

I saw a video of a guy who literally lives in a cave he excavated himself using hand tools. He has a supply of electricity from a farmer friend who he rents thr OT of land where thr cave sits and does some chores to maintain the land but other than that he just wakes up, goes for walks, read books, and doesn't have to worry about mskinf anymore money than he already has in his bank fron working earlier in life. His expense per annum is like $100.

From the outside looking in he seems like a vagrant or soneone with mental issues but while that may be up for interpretation he is happy with himself and that's all that matters.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4687 posts
333 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
May 19th, 2017 2:23 am
That mindset is inherently what's stopping people from ahhlchirving inner bliss for a want of better term. Provided you have enough to eat and a rood over tour head today and Noe, that's all you really require to be happy. To be alive and able to enjoy what nature provides for free is all really one needs for peace within.

I saw a video of a guy who literally lives in a cave he excavated himself using hand tools. He has a supply of electricity from a farmer friend who he rents thr OT of land where thr cave sits and does some chores to maintain the land but other than that he just wakes up, goes for walks, read books, and doesn't have to worry about mskinf anymore money than he already has in his bank fron working earlier in life. His expense per annum is like $100.

From the outside looking in he seems like a vagrant or soneone with mental issues but while that may be up for interpretation he is happy with himself and that's all that matters.
But is that all that matters? If everybody was happy to live in caves, we would still be in the stone ages.

I agree content is key to happiness. However, I am wondering whether happiness (or inner peace) and the urge to always achieve more are compatible. And this is not about money. I am not convinced that Olympic athletes can ever be happy with where they are. I guess one can argue that they are happy since they are doing what they love, but such happiness is rather different from being content and I can also see that they would become frustrated or even depressed if they failed to make progress. Yet the more frustrated and depressed they were, the harder the job, the more satisfaction they would get when they make a break through. The same is true for every job.

I am also wondering whether humans are meant to be content. I have read an interesting novel where a demon would take people into a world where every one of their wishes would be granted. Some of them would be kings where some would do what they love. However, sooner or later, the victims would get tired of life. Many of them would resort to self mutilation to feel alive, eventually fade into nothing less and get consumed by the demon. The author concluded that the meaning of our lives are defined by obstacles and our drive to overcome these obstacles.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18851 posts
2449 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Happiness is when you got no complaints.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Jan 2, 2015
945 posts
336 upvotes
As we can see in this thread, happiness is so subjective. I don't know what others look for in happiness, for me, it not about perfection, or being a utopian world, but rather feeling joy, satisfaction, a sense of well being, comfortable in your own skin.

once all the basic needs are met happiness is really a choice.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6661 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto
This is an interesting read.

"Why you should quit chasing happiness and pursue meaning instead"

http://www.today.com/health/why-meaning ... fe-t111557

It pretty much tells you that humans chase things.Often blindly.

My own take is in the form of many questions?

Is Happiness what we are really after? The things that perpetuate or make us feel happy?
Will making a concerted effort to make others happy make us happy.
Is happiness always derived through positive means or via negative and selfish means like hurt,harm etc to others.
Is the Happiness we think we feel real or delusional?
Does it have a lifespan of mere seconds vs a lifetime?
Can happiness be seen as coming from the trials of life or only from the best that life has to offer?
Who defines what's best? Is it only physical and material achievements?
Chasing happiness itself may actually end up having the opposite effect, or the effect may be short lived but require a whole lot of effort/doing in the first place.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4656 posts
380 upvotes
Scarborough
Without God's remembrance, the heart can't be peaceful.
You can have all the materialistic stuff of this world and can have all the relations and toys, but your heart is never truly satisfied.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10855 posts
1473 upvotes
City of Vancouver
^ I vehemently disagree with that!

Happiness to me is freedom, self-determinism, and self-expression.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36363 posts
2370 upvotes
Toronto
Talk to old people...
My parents... together forever. The cutest couple ever.... they still make a point of walking down to the beach whever its nice. I saw them secretly holding hands on vacation (they don't show it).
They're happy when family is happy... when family isnt happy they settle for them being alive and hoping they turn around.

Another i know is a dancer. Part of one of most reknown bboy group during breakin's resurgence in the 90's and early 2000's. He teaches dance and uses it as a tool to inspire artistic expression and positivity.
He is extremely happy and lives the bboy lifestyle.

We kinda gotta make our own happiness..
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2370 posts
827 upvotes
Happiness is being happy at what you do, don't do.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3776 posts
453 upvotes
Aurora
Funny, I find unhappiness much easier to define. It's more palpable. Happiness is more ... tenuous. Something we constantly strive for. A perfect ideal which we may never fully attain.