Automotive

Can You Drive WITHOUT your Driver's License? (ie. left it at home)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2009 8:04 am
[OP]
Banned
Jul 4, 2008
1434 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Can You Drive WITHOUT your Driver's License? (ie. left it at home)

I was always wondering about this.
sometimes I forget my wallet and drive and I always get nervous.
ie. if i get into an accident, will i not be covered?
or if a cop pulls me over, will he impound my car?

i remember my driver's license number for some reason, so is that ok?
my uncle also told me that you don't need the license, a name and address is all you need.. but i don't really believe that?

any ideas?
30 replies
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
-
Yes you can, the cop looks up in his computer with your name and he confirms that you do have a licence but you still get a $65 ticket for not having it in your persona. I know this because it happened to me a few years back.
Apr 25, 2008
148 posts
4 upvotes
isajoo wrote:
Jan 21st, 2009 4:17 am
I am sure if u get pulled over, u will most likely get ticketed.

Good news is, u can fight it in court and may just win.

U could try to at least have a photo copy of ur license w/ur ownership/insurance, but that may just help stop the cop from impounding the car.
You may win, but you shouldn't if the officer shows up. You are supposed to have your license on you when you drive, otherwise there is a fine...but as long as you have a license nothing else should occur, unless they don't believe you are who you are saying.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19888 posts
1520 upvotes
chris103610 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2009 3:03 am
I was always wondering about this.
sometimes I forget my wallet and drive and I always get nervous.
ie. if i get into an accident, will i not be covered?
or if a cop pulls me over, will he impound my car?

i remember my driver's license number for some reason, so is that ok?
my uncle also told me that you don't need the license, a name and address is all you need.. but i don't really believe that?

any ideas?
You can drive without your license but you are subject to a ticket for not carrying your license with you should you get pulled over or get into an accident (something where the police come and take your info).

The ticket for not having your license with you is not for driving without a license (because the cop can look up your info*) but rather for failing to surrender your license when asked by the police officer. For that reason you can easily be found guilty of this charge because the fact would be you did fail to give it to the officer when asked. However a lot of Crown prosecutors will drop this charge, depending on circumstances, if you just bring in your license to the court with you.

The same thing applies for your proof of insurance "card". The police have other ways of verifying if you have insurance, but if you don't have the pink slip with you, you can be charged with fail to surrender.

I believe the same also applies to the vehicle ownership. You must have all three things with you while driving.

*In looking up your information the police officer may ask you for other ID or information to verify your identity.
Feb 1, 2007
579 posts
12 upvotes
You can punch a hole on your driver's license and use it as a key chain. That way when you take your car keys, you will have your license with you. Just an idea,
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13211 posts
1090 upvotes
Montreal
That must be an Ontario thing. Around here, you are given two days to produce your license at the local police station and can have your ticket waived.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2004
4806 posts
230 upvotes
I forgot a few times and obviously fine if you don't get pulled over. Just drive super "safe" and you're fine.
Feb 26, 2007
438 posts
16 upvotes
I think you can drive without your license since the police officer can pull your info up from him computer. Besides, suppose you get you just lost your wallet get pulled over, you'll get a ticket for that?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3733 posts
31 upvotes
cyc1120 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2009 10:18 am
I think you can drive without your license since the police officer can pull your info up from him computer. Besides, suppose you get you just lost your wallet get pulled over, you'll get a ticket for that?
Yes, you can still get a ticket. You can fight it and if you bring your licence into court and explain the situation there is a good chance you can have the ticket dropped.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9741 posts
428 upvotes
bly wrote:
Jan 21st, 2009 8:50 am
You can punch a hole on your driver's license and use it as a key chain. That way when you take your car keys, you will have your license with you. Just an idea,
You probably aren't legally allowed to deface your license.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34346 posts
1478 upvotes
Toronto
slowtyper wrote:
Jan 21st, 2009 11:09 am
You probably aren't legally allowed to deface your license.
solution.. a small ID card holder with a key chain attached.
But how geeky is that?
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Oct 20, 2007
326 posts
50 upvotes
There is no 24 hour grace period. That is the individual choice of an officer. Failure to produce is an offence. Can you get a ticket? Yes. Could you fight it in court? Yes, you can fight anything in court. Can you win? 50/50 chance plus a day in court.

People who suggest that you fight every minor offence in court must have lots and lots of spare time. My court experience suggests that you had better be prepared to offer part if not all of your day as you wait your turn. If you're lucky, you may get called early. If not, it can be a long and painful wait. For most of the employed, that's a very expensive court day.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
7672 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
If you forget it, but do have it and it is not suspended, you'll be fine as the charge will be dropped.

But its the hassle of the whole process that makes it a pain to go through and a good reminder to have your license with you.
Oct 16, 2008
576 posts
13 upvotes
why not photocopy your DL and hide it in the car somewhere (so theives don't find it) and IF you get pulled over without the real DL, you will always have the copy in your defence.

I do this with my insurance papers.
I used to be me!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
6057 posts
160 upvotes
Markham
SeeYouNextTime wrote:
Jan 21st, 2009 12:37 pm
why not photocopy your DL and hide it in the car somewhere (so theives don't find it) and IF you get pulled over without the real DL, you will always have the copy in your defence.

I do this with my insurance papers.

I beleive Police can still give you a ticket if you doon't have the hardcopy of your licesne with you.

Solution: Drive properly when you forget your wallet at home. Full stop, wait 3 sec, respect the speed limit. :D
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
× < >