Food & Drink

can you eat the apple without pesticide?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2014 12:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2849 posts
502 upvotes
Mississauga

can you eat the apple without pesticide?

um...not sure if this is the right section to ask....

i have some apple trees in my backyard but we have never pesticide it, and the result is that the apple looks kind of funny, small, and when you cut it open, it has some kind of scars or kind of brown in some spots in the apple.

My question is, can you eat those apple?
17 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11319 posts
3867 upvotes
Nowhere
Wow, did I read this wrong? I thought you were trying to avoid pesticides not actually looking to eat pesticides. Yes, you can eat it. People pay a premium to get apples without pesticides.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2849 posts
502 upvotes
Mississauga
@.@ i guess this is call organic?

but part of their inside isn't as white as the one we got in the super market, i guess that is okie?
some of them kind of looks like sponge like in some part of the apple
Jun 14, 2012
412 posts
36 upvotes
some may have gone bad or have been infected by bugs.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
You can spray the tree with copper sulphate before spring. That will kill fungus or mould spores that attack the new growth in the spring, eliminating scabs and small misshapen apples. This an old remedy, used in orchards and vineyards for 150 years and considered safe, as it is applied before the tree has blossoms and fruit.

As for this harvest, you can eat the good parts. Or use the whole bad looking apples for an apple cider crush. I have seen a Slovak community do this every fall.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
Can we eat apples without pesticides?

I tell ya, evolution is a fascinating subject ;-)

I would suggest you at least put some sticker on the fruit before you consume it, at the very least it should give you some peace of mind ;-)
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5520 upvotes
Toronto
killer007 wrote: @.@ i guess this is call organic?

but part of their inside isn't as white as the one we got in the super market, i guess that is okie?
some of them kind of looks like sponge like in some part of the apple
no, it's called nature. "organic" allows the use of non-synthetically produced pesticides.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5520 upvotes
Toronto
Homerhomer wrote: Can we eat apples without pesticides?

I tell ya, evolution is a fascinating subject ;-)

I would suggest you at least put some sticker on the fruit before you consume it, at the very least it should give you some peace of mind ;-)
makes you wonder how we survived as a species all those years without the life giving benefit of pesticides.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2849 posts
502 upvotes
Mississauga
but i found out the scars inside the apple its from:
Plum curculio and apple maggot

i guess they are also edible? in case i missed to cut out some of the parts from the apples
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Stupid question but what kind of apples are they? Are these just crabapple trees in your back yard?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2849 posts
502 upvotes
Mississauga
actually, i have no idea, my dad planted it, and it seems like a waste and not eat them, but once its cut open some parts are okie and some are just looks like scars, so was just wondering myself :(
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1528 posts
325 upvotes
Grimsby
That is exactly how we ate apples as kids, maggots were eaten around but blemishes were eaten :)
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Yes you can eat an apple. I won't tell you what you can or can't drink with it.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2007
2434 posts
328 upvotes
Waterloo
sure eat them, and organic apples usually have more pesticides on them then regular.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)