• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2010 9:53 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 27, 2010
53 posts
4 upvotes

Can you get records for closed bank accounts

I was just wondering if anyone knows if you could get old bank statements for closed bank accounts.Do banks keep copies of closed accounts? If so for how long?
4 replies
Nov 14, 2009
236 posts
55 upvotes
Yes, you can. I'm not sure how long they keep the records (my understanding is 7 years). Just stop by or ring them up and ask about it and they should be able to tell you.

Depending on how old the records are, it might take a while for them to get them for you. Usually there will be a charge as well, if you get someone nice though they sometimes will waive the fee for you (they did this for me at TD).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8569 posts
1763 upvotes
If you're just looking for the transactions (not official statements), I'm pretty sure TD can go all the way back to the 90s and print em out for you. Probably not for a CT account though.
Mar 23, 2010
212 posts
Montreal
You can request the account information through the bank, but it will cost you. They will not waive the fees, as technically, you are required to keep your records for a period of time. According to the Bank Act of Canada, the retention period is seven years. Therefore, they can retrieve account information 7 years back from the day the records receives your request.