Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 14, 2015
543 posts
150 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB

Can you haggle at Home Depot?

I walked I into a Home Depot today, thinking of buying a new stove. I tried to haggle over the price a bit and the girl looked at me like I was crazy. Was I?
29 replies
Mar 9, 2008
369 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
[quote="Operatime" post_id="22286361" time="1429765895" user_id="1183085"]I walked I into a Home Depot today, thinking of buying a new stove. I tried to haggle over the price a bit and the girl looked at me like I was crazy. Was I?[/

I've haggled. It works. Not crazy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5465 posts
1631 upvotes
Space
With a regular rep? No. A manager, maybe. The thing is, big box stores don't need to haggle. I've tried before, it's a hit or miss.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2514 posts
1518 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Operatime wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2015 1:11 am
I walked I into a Home Depot today, thinking of buying a new stove. I tried to haggle over the price a bit and the girl looked at me like I was crazy. Was I?
Yes, you were crazy.

If you have the cash and you're ready to go with a new appliance then and there, go right ahead and ask to speak with the manager and politely make your offer. If you're not prepared to walk out if your reasonable offer doesn't get accepted, then you shouldn't be "haggling". However, making a lowball price is not haggling. And doing with some random employee, while you're "thinking of buying..." is going to get you nowhere.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Apr 14, 2015
543 posts
150 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
ALLCAPS wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2015 2:04 am
Yes, you were crazy.

If you have the cash and you're ready to go with a new appliance then and there, go right ahead and ask to speak with the manager and politely make your offer. If you're not prepared to walk out if your reasonable offer doesn't get accepted, then you shouldn't be "haggling". However, making a lowball price is not haggling. And doing with some random employee, while you're "thinking of buying..." is going to get you nowhere.
Well, to be clear, I didn't make a lowball offer and I was prepared to pay cash right there. I just didn't think the price was as good as it could be. But if you have some great ideas about how to talk a price down at a box store, I'd be happy to hear them.
I'll probably just buy it at a local appliance store though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7084 posts
586 upvotes
Waterloo
What u buying? Kijiji is a good place to find brand new stuff heck i can redo my kitchen appliances for under 3000

Stove,fridge,over range microwave, dishwasher
Jan 12, 2015
104 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
As someone who used to work at a big box home improvement store here is the best way to get your deal. Talk to the MOD (manager on duty) and say that you'll sign up for a store credit card if you sell me this at $X. Then use your cash to pay off the card. The store bonuses on credit apps. They're more likely to agree to your price if you do that.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
751 upvotes
Vancouver
Takes some flyers, even if it's not the exact same make and model. Find some examples that you think is at right price.
Feb 2, 2005
976 posts
134 upvotes
Keep in mind:

http://www.homedepot.ca/content/custome ... urn-policy

Major appliances are non-returnable. Items should be inspected thoroughly at the time of delivery. If you are not satisfied, refuse the item before signing the delivery receipt. Be sure to report any product defects or damages with the delivery agent. Damages must be reported within 48 hours of delivery. After 48 hours, you may visit your local store or call 1-800-455-3869 for assistance.

Can anyone confirm if home depot workers are on commission in the major appliance department (kind of like Sears)? If so, you should be able to haggle.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1758 posts
565 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Not sure about appliances but I've haggled on clearance items such as a Echo trimmer, damaged items, no box items, etc...
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2149 posts
584 upvotes
PlmbPmp wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2015 10:10 am
As someone who used to work at a big box home improvement store here is the best way to get your deal. Talk to the MOD (manager on duty) and say that you'll sign up for a store credit card if you sell me this at $X. Then use your cash to pay off the card. The store bonuses on credit apps. They're more likely to agree to your price if you do that.
spot on... did you work in retail?
Jan 12, 2015
104 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
flash67 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2015 4:16 pm
spot on... did you work in retail?
Yes, seven LONG years. Both in the US and Canada for the same home improvement retailer.
Jan 3, 2013
526 posts
165 upvotes
Winnipeg
T-Bone wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2015 11:45 am
Keep in mind:

Major appliances are non-returnable. Items should be inspected thoroughly at the time of delivery. If you are not satisfied, refuse the item before signing the delivery receipt. Be sure to report any product defects or damages with the delivery agent. Damages must be reported within 48 hours of delivery. After 48 hours, you may visit your local store or call 1-800-455-3869 for assistance.

Can anyone confirm if home depot workers are on commission in the major appliance department (kind of like Sears)? If so, you should be able to haggle.
Sears appliances sales no longer on commission. At least not staff in stores but the specialty home and furniture stores yes.
Oct 6, 2008
159 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
T-Bone wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2015 11:45 am
Keep in mind:

Home Depot associates don't make commission off anything.
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1482 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
god damn. OP is one of those low lifes on Kijiji.

i'll pay cash man, just give me 20% off your price. try it at costco buddy.