• May 5th, 2015 12:40 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 14, 2015
544 posts
153 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
Thanks to everyone who gave helpful replies. Some good ideas here to keep in mind for next time.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1229 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa ON
I have never heard of a successful haggle at place other than The Brick or Leon's Furniture in addition to mom and pop shops.

The worst haggle I have ever seen was from an Indian couple in-front of me at No Frills haggling every single item in their cart..."$4 for this chicken breast? I give you $2, deal?" ..."$5 for rice? no no no, I will give you $2 for this instead" - the most painful haggling experience I have ever witnessed. I don't think I've ever stood in a grocery line up for that long in my life.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1704 posts
654 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
mathiewannabe wrote:
Apr 24th, 2015 12:03 pm
god damn. OP is one of those low lifes on Kijiji.

i'll pay cash man, just give me 20% off your price. try it at costco buddy.
Not everyone has huge stacks of cash to flash around, especially considering how much people get paid these days versus how much big corporations like HD make off us.
Mar 27, 2003
658 posts
18 upvotes
I have done it several times at home depot. You have to talk to the manager. However, we were doing big reno so our each purchase was over $1.5k. I just asked if we can get 10% off. Lowe's run that promotion from time to time and home depot doesn't. So I just said I can wait for Lowe's promotion or you just give me 10% off my purchase here. To save my time (and their time), I always outlined what I wanted to buy already. 9 out of 10 times I get my 10% off. Not sure if that's what you are looking for but I am happy with 10% :)
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
mathiewannabe wrote:
Apr 24th, 2015 12:03 pm
god damn. OP is one of those low lifes on Kijiji.

i'll pay cash man, just give me 20% off your price. try it at costco buddy.
I always love those replies and have never I figured out wht they would pay if not cash.. Like are you gunna swipe my ***** with your card?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4015 posts
637 upvotes
Richmond
MontrealBonjour wrote:
Apr 24th, 2015 8:23 pm
I have never heard of a successful haggle at place other than The Brick or Leon's Furniture in addition to mom and pop shops.

The worst haggle I have ever seen was from an Indian couple in-front of me at No Frills haggling every single item in their cart..."$4 for this chicken breast? I give you $2, deal?" ..."$5 for rice? no no no, I will give you $2 for this instead" - the most painful haggling experience I have ever witnessed. I don't think I've ever stood in a grocery line up for that long in my life.
now that would a customer big grocery stores do not want at all.
Oct 2, 2009
356 posts
116 upvotes
just get HD to price match the appliance at canadianappliance.ca

I did all my appliances in my kitchen and you won't find a better deal. I just found the appliances i like at home depot, searched CA website for model and showed them and boom, saved well over $1000 off sale prices...

The best deal you will get on appliances.
[OP]
Apr 14, 2015
544 posts
153 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
gsr519 wrote:
May 3rd, 2015 7:40 pm
just get HD to price match the appliance at canadianappliance.ca

I did all my appliances in my kitchen and you won't find a better deal. I just found the appliances i like at home depot, searched CA website for model and showed them and boom, saved well over $1000 off sale prices...

The best deal you will get on appliances.
Okay, it looks like they only have a store in Toronto, not in my province, but they will ship to me, although the shipping price is a lot steeper than Home Depot. So, will they honour it here, and if so, before or after shipping?

Anyway, that's a great idea I hadn't considered. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8270 posts
3990 upvotes
GeeCee wrote:
Apr 25th, 2015 6:09 am
Not everyone has huge stacks of cash to flash around, especially considering how much people get paid these days versus how much big corporations like HD make off us.
There is a store for everyone. If you don't make crazy amount of cash, there are alternatives that might suit you. Unfortunately, publicly traded companies are in the business of making money; not being a salvation army.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1704 posts
654 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
boyoflondon wrote:
May 4th, 2015 10:03 pm
There is a store for everyone. If you don't make crazy amount of cash, there are alternatives that might suit you. Unfortunately, publicly traded companies are in the business of making money; not being a salvation army.
Nobody said anything about being a 'salvation army' or giving anything away for free. Many store managers would likely agree that they would rather give 10% off a high margin item to a customer that is already in the store and ready to purchase rather than have to spend money getting someone else in the store to purchase that product(s). And if they aren't willing to make a deal, then so be it - there's no harm in asking. Believe it or not, this is the way that things used to work every day. Just because there's a price listed on the shelf above a certain product does not necessarily mean that you need to bend over for them and pay the full price.
May 11, 2008
639 posts
220 upvotes
Vancouver
With Home Depot, you won't get anywhere trying to haggle on regular priced items. You'll pretty much get shut down right away unless you're trying to price match.
If it's a clearance item, there is a bit of room at the discretion of the sales person.
The sales people at Home Depot don't even get an employee discount.
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1482 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
GeeCee wrote:
May 4th, 2015 10:21 pm
Nobody said anything about being a 'salvation army' or giving anything away for free. Many store managers would likely agree that they would rather give 10% off a high margin item to a customer that is already in the store and ready to purchase rather than have to spend money getting someone else in the store to purchase that product(s). And if they aren't willing to make a deal, then so be it - there's no harm in asking. Believe it or not, this is the way that things used to work every day. Just because there's a price listed on the shelf above a certain product does not necessarily mean that you need to bend over for them and pay the full price.
Haggling is rampant in developing countries. it shouldn't happen in developed economies. It's not in the best interest of anyone.

When you allow haggling, honest people who pay the price given become idiots (knowlingly and unknowlingly) and ones who haggle to lowest cost are smart. Chances are, when you go to asian countries, you'll most likely overpay if you buy something in the market - haggling is everywhere. But at the end, store owners make money anyways because there is no way they would be selling below cost.
You may have thought buying a $100 item at $80 was a good deal, but on the same day, some other person paid $20 ; no one knows what the true price is except the store owner. If there was no haggling price, the price would be determined by market, not by haggling.

If you're a customer of my business and I consistently charge you 20% more than another person just because I can (the other person is cheap and very discreet at doing it), how would you feel?
You think this would fly at Costco?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1704 posts
654 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
Costco is an entirely different business model. I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up.
Aug 27, 2010
442 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
ginabobolee wrote:
Apr 25th, 2015 7:04 am
I have done it several times at home depot. You have to talk to the manager :)
I just did this few days ago. saved %10
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1482 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
GeeCee wrote:
May 4th, 2015 11:56 pm
Costco is an entirely different business model. I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up.
i'm sorry, which business models allow haggling? home depot is ok but costco is not?