• Sep 1st, 2009 2:21 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 29, 2005
987 posts
43 upvotes

Can you haggle on pricing at Lazy-Boy?

Hi all,

Almost done finishing my basement and we've been looking at couches. Lazy-boy has a model that we like and it is already on sale off the regular "list" price (which I think are overly inflated to begin with).

My question is, has anyone haggled down the "sale" price when buying from Lazy-boy? If so, were you able to get the price lowered a significant amount?

I was also thinking about trying to get the deliver charge (if any) and fabric protection (scotchguard?) thrown in if possible. Is that do-able?

Thanks for any advice.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1429 posts
82 upvotes
Of course. Their sales prices aren't usually that great anyway. Their salesmen are commissioned. Always haggle the final price, including taxes & delivery and any other stuff you want. They will always, always try to get you to buy extended warranties. Do the math beforehand so you know what your final price range is.

Be prepared to walk out if you don't get what you want. Sometimes they will run after you. If not you can always come back and offer a little more.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2005
987 posts
43 upvotes
Thanks for the advice!

What kinda of discount should I push for? 5%, 10%, more?

I am looking at two couches that go for $1200/ea.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1429 posts
82 upvotes
So $2400 + $50 for delivery + 13% tax = ~$2770

So for example, say your goal is $2500 all in. Start your offer around $2400 and work up. Or you could try the "I don't ever pay sticker price, what's your offer" angle.

Remember you're taking their commission, so they won't give you anything right away. If it's a busy Saturday they may not be as interested in bargaining as they would on a slow Monday. And don't look too interested in the furniture, and don't forget to act shocked when you find out all the parts are from overseas :lol:
[OP]
Oct 29, 2005
987 posts
43 upvotes
Good stuff. Many thanks for the suggestions. I'll try those tactics and see how I fare. :D
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6907 posts
338 upvotes
abstract808 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2009 2:58 pm
So $2400 + $50 for delivery + 13% tax = ~$2770

So for example, say your goal is $2500 all in. Start your offer around $2400 and work up. Or you could try the "I don't ever pay sticker price, what's your offer" angle.

Remember you're taking their commission, so they won't give you anything right away. If it's a busy Saturday they may not be as interested in bargaining as they would on a slow Monday. And don't look too interested in the furniture, and don't forget to act shocked when you find out all the parts are from overseas :lol:
Good advice! Mention that your on your way to Sears and thought you'd first stop in here to take a look. That should help.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
I always start by asking if the prices are flexible, if they don't deny right away, then you ask them to find out what kind of deal they can get. Then from how much they move you know how much less to counter with. If they only move $25 you decide if its worth it, if they drop by $200 then try for $400. They will either take it or meet somewhere in between. Always be aggresive.
Jan 31, 2009
626 posts
25 upvotes
I wondered the same thing. I even asked the salesperson and she said no usually the prices don't change. But I showed interest in a recliner she was willing to drop taxes.

So yes they do negotiate.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2005
987 posts
43 upvotes
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I ended up purchasing the sofas today. It was tough to haggle too much, but I got $250 off.

- Sofa x 2 ($1199.99/ea)
- "Magic seal" 7 yr fabric warranty (we have an 8 month old and this covers everything: crayons, spills, tears, etc) x 2 ($129.99/ea)
- Delivery charge ($99.99)

Total would have been 3120 w/ tax... I got it for $2870 all in. Maybe not the best deal, but a bit of a deal nonetheless.

Thanks again for the advice.
× < >