Locked: Can you haggle at Tiffany's?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2005 4:23 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 25, 2005
260 posts

Can you haggle at Tiffany's?

I don't want to sound cheap, but frankly, I never buy anything at retail price. It's almost like a principle of mine. (As a sales guy, I never sell anything at retail price...)

Now it's not like I'm going to Tiffany's to buy a $10,000 ring, in fact, I'm looking to spend much less, a couple to a few hundred. Are they really firm with their prices? I've never shopped at Tiffany's before - I think it's a curse to guys who desperately want to win a girl over. (See trini's post.) But after 7 yrs, I think it's time I get my girl something from there...

So if they don't do discounts, what kind of free stuff can I get?

Sorry but if you haven't shopped at Tiffany's before, I'm not interested in what you think or heard from a friend.

Thanks for sharing!
Share:
82 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2003
4772 posts
42 upvotes
are you insistant on buying from there only?

my suggestion:

Tiffanys..Peoples Jewlers... huge rippoff...

find something better quality, lower price at an indipendent store.. you'll save TONNES!
"Illegitimi non carborundum" --Latin Proverb

If you want to do something good for your soul, and your own sense of self-worth, help someone secretly and never tell them or anyone else, ever.

Hot deal?

:evil: AVOID ByoLogyc products such as ByoMate!
[OP]
Jul 25, 2005
260 posts
difference is in the blue box.

if you pull out a people's jewler box and a $1000 necklace comes out... and some schmuck buys a $175 necklace from Tiffany's... the Tiff blue box will get all the attention.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2003
4772 posts
42 upvotes
true..as long as you realize you're paying for name/overhead .. .not quality

goodluck
"Illegitimi non carborundum" --Latin Proverb

If you want to do something good for your soul, and your own sense of self-worth, help someone secretly and never tell them or anyone else, ever.

Hot deal?

:evil: AVOID ByoLogyc products such as ByoMate!
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3132 posts
15 upvotes
not gona happen, if you don't wana pay retail don't shop on bloor st.
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
60 upvotes
i doubt there's any haggling on the low end items.
Back for a limited engagement.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3132 posts
15 upvotes
Think of it from their point of view, your not buying something expensive (in there eyes), you don't shop often, and you (a nobody) wants a discount. Why would they give you a discount, they can sell the item you wana buy 100 times over at full price.
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
Jun 19, 2005
568 posts
it's be awesome if these jewellers PMed each other.. haha. :D :D
Jun 3, 2004
177 posts
most of tiffany's jeweleries are sterling silver.. and it is not an expensive metal..
tiffany sells their design.. thats where most of the money went.. not to purchase raw material.. to purchase design..
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1955 posts
133 upvotes
I've never shopped there before, but one way to get it for less is to either go (if you so happen to be going) or ask someone who is going down to the Caribbean because in St. Maarten and St. Thomas they have Tiffany and Co stores (attached to Little Switzerland and Coach) and I'm pretty sure they're tax free. Jewellery in the islands is cheap. As for customs, pray they don't search you.
Apr 1, 2005
238 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
My friend and I have purchased some of their jewellery (the Tiffany store on Bloor Street). Unfortunately there are no sales, no bargining, and no free stuff :( Be prepared to pay the regular prices.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2002
1668 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver
bring them breakfast maybe?
:arrowl: :arrowd: :arrowu: :arrow: I play too much DDR ヽ(`д`)ノ
HEATWARE 52-0-0
Sep 30, 2001
25603 posts
4755 upvotes
if you want to haggle goto omni jewelcrafters. if not then bite the bullet and pay the full retail if the name is what you are after (You can try of course but if they say no don't be surprised).

or you could goto birks and see if they have something cheaper. their stuff comes in a blue box too.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1938 posts
50 upvotes
I don't think you can bargain for prices at Tiffany's ... at least I've never tried *lol* I bought a ring from them a while back for myself. I ended up buying from one of their US locations because of the price difference. The Toronto store wanted $2,050 (before taxes) and the US stores were selling the same ring for $1,200 US. Of course there's the hassle of bringing it back to Canada but I had someone else take care of that for me. :cheesygri
Jul 18, 2005
793 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
As a salesman you should know the old trick of looking at something really expensive (like an engagement ring) and commenting on how maybe you should try something smaller first, etc. then attempting to get a discount on the smaller item as a way of making you a repeat customer.

I think that's probably your best shot, unless you know someone who works there and just buy a blue box for some earrings you stole from a street vendor, lol.
JIM
× < >