Automotive

Can you legally buy a car for another person (without her present)?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2014 5:44 pm
May 21, 2008
261 posts
45 upvotes

Can you legally buy a car for another person (without her present)?

If I'm to go to the dealership and buy a new car for someone (title to her) today, what do I have to do to legitimize the purchase?

I will get written consent, but can I fill information on her behalf or do I fill under my name but note that I am a representative/agent?

Do dealerships allow this kind of purchase?
8 replies
Feb 12, 2013
837 posts
96 upvotes
Will this be paid in full? I don't think this is possible.
May 21, 2008
261 posts
45 upvotes
Yes, I will get financing elsewhere but it will be a full cash purchase as far as the dealership is concerned.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
you would likely need a real power of attorney
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
78 upvotes
Is this a gift? Option is to purchase in your name then transfer title to them, no?
Nov 6, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
I think it is ok if the seller already signed the back of the ownership, although I would prefer to meet her in person.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
mathguy wrote: I think it is ok if the seller already signed the back of the ownership, although I would prefer to meet her in person.
It's not the seller who won't be there, it's the buyer.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
Tonyzee wrote: If I'm to go to the dealership and buy a new car for someone (title to her) today, what do I have to do to legitimize the purchase?

I will get written consent, but can I fill information on her behalf or do I fill under my name but note that I am a representative/agent?

Do dealerships allow this kind of purchase?
It should not be a problem to purchase a vehicle for someone who is not present so as long as your reasoning and demeanour is not shifty or the purpose comes across as deceitful in any way.
The dealer will want a copy of that 'someone's' driver license for licencing purposes plus the MTO plate portion if attaching existing plates and of course proper insurance info.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
why not just ask the dealer in question to get a real answer ? dealer will tell you what's needed on day of purchase and on day of delivery to finalize the transaction.