Automotive

Can you modify anything on a leased car?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2005 12:10 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
4 upvotes

Can you modify anything on a leased car?

Just wondering what the rules are for modifying leased cars. I'm not talking about anything nuts and irreversible like a paint job, but rather something simple and reversible like putting a new deck in, adding rims, or changing the speakers.

Just wondering if they allow anything done at all. All i want is a new deck cause the factory one is pretty shyte.

Anyone know the rules? And it's a Toyota if that makes a difference.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1708 posts
15 upvotes
North York
From Ford.CA

Leasing

"..Because you're paying for the use of the car or truck, you do not own the vehicle when you lease it, and it may be subject to certain restrictions, such as the mileage you can drive every year (usually 20,000 or 24,000 km, but higher limits are negotiable). You also cannot modify the vehicle and are responsible for the cost of above-average "wear and tear"."

I'm not sure how flexible other manufacturers are.
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
Here in Toronto
You can modify as long as you can put it back to exact original when returning from the lease.
Banned
Jan 21, 2004
2600 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
Pay some stereo shop to install and tell them that is a lease car and be careful to keep things original.

Shouldn't cost more than $50
Fineprint: Any brand that have [rfdlink=#]double underline link[/rfdlink] on my posts are not endorsed by me (unless stated otherwise) and automatically placed by the forum software for the site owners' commercial interests.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
Just return everything to orginal when you return the car. I think if you get your stereo installed at FS or BB, they will help you reinstall the old deck and put your custom deck in your new car for free. Well, of course You'd have to pay for a new mount and kit unless your new car uses the same one.

If you are even a little bit of a handy man you can DIY, Toyota decks are easy to change, I changed my deck on my RAV4 myself with no problems on the first go. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
4 upvotes
pandaharo wrote:Just return everything to orginal when you return the car. I think if you get your stereo installed at FS or BB, they will help you reinstall the old deck and put your custom deck in your new car for free. Well, of course You'd have to pay for a new mount and kit unless your new car uses the same one.

If you are even a little bit of a handy man you can DIY, Toyota decks are easy to change, I changed my deck on my RAV4 myself with no problems on the first go. :)
I changed the deck in my old Corolla and Mazda and installed an amp in the mazda... but the new toyota is only 2 days old. I'm not confident enough to install it myself in such a new car.

I wonder if when we take it in for service, they will notice a different deck in and say something. I wouldn't wanna switch the deck before every service ;)

Anyway thanks for the info guys.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
v00d00 wrote:You can modify as long as you can put it back to exact original when returning from the lease.
True story.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
ainsane wrote:I changed the deck in my old Corolla and Mazda and installed an amp in the mazda... but the new toyota is only 2 days old. I'm not confident enough to install it myself in such a new car.

I wonder if when we take it in for service, they will notice a different deck in and say something. I wouldn't wanna switch the deck before every service ;)

Anyway thanks for the info guys.
I dont think the service guys even know if your car is leased or not, all they care about if your credit card number and your autograph at the end of the day. ;)

I do remember once at the service center this guy put aftermarket brakes in his corolla, all the service guy said was he didn't service the breaks because the installation was done incorrectly and advise him to fix it before the brakes fail. He also said that all warranty on brake components on his corolla will not be honored in the future.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2003
1420 posts
65 upvotes
v00d00 wrote:You can modify as long as you can put it back to exact original when returning from the lease.
I'm not sure about this ...

I had a Hyundai Tiburon that I tinted the windows, upgraded the stereo and added a viper alarm ... they were more than happy to take it bad as-is when I returned it ...

higher off lease resale?
Mar 22, 2003
968 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
ainsane wrote:Just wondering what the rules are for modifying leased cars. I'm not talking about anything nuts and irreversible like a paint job, but rather something simple and reversible like putting a new deck in, adding rims, or changing the speakers.

Just wondering if they allow anything done at all. All i want is a new deck cause the factory one is pretty shyte.

Anyone know the rules? And it's a Toyota if that makes a difference.

The question is why?
You don't own the car so why would you put money into the car :confused:
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
Here in Toronto
njchan wrote:I'm not sure about this ...

I had a Hyundai Tiburon that I tinted the windows, upgraded the stereo and added a viper alarm ... they were more than happy to take it bad as-is when I returned it ...

higher off lease resale?
Yeah I suppose if it would increase the resale value.. they may accept it.

Some may not though, even if it did increase the resale value.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
4 upvotes
Nightgod wrote:The question is why?
You don't own the car so why would you put money into the car :confused:
Why not? You can put a new deck into the car and remove it once the lease is over. You still own the deck. How are you losing any money other than the installation? You still get use out of the deck and can either use it in another car or sell it after.
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
Here in Toronto
True enough.. most factory audio systems are very weak.

I'm not a hardcore bass bumper or anything, but I do enjoy a good quality sound.
What Would Jebus Do?
Aug 15, 2004
952 posts
43 upvotes
Richmond Hill
njchan wrote:I'm not sure about this ...

higher off lease resale?
Because those are not power mod, tinted win and stereo don't affect reliablity.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20656 posts
1280 upvotes
Aurora
Focus wrote:Because those are not power mod, tinted win and stereo don't affect reliablity.

Neither does a stero or better looking rims.

But I have to agree with NightGod.

Why?

It is stupid to put money into a car you don't own. Even if it is $50 to install and $50 to remove.

$100 buys at least three tanks of gas.

But if you have money to burn, so you can listen to music a little louder, then go for it.
× < >