Cell Phones

Locked: Can you trade in a blacklisted phone?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2018 8:02 am
[OP]
Oct 12, 2012
769 posts
1025 upvotes

Can you trade in a blacklisted phone?

I purchased a cheap $50 Samsung S3 last week which I intended to use as a spare phone but when I tried to unlock it, Koodo told me it was blacklisted and they couldn't unlock it.

Am I allowed to use this phone for those trade-in deals that carriers have? Or would they come after me for fraud?
Share:
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1721 posts
1278 upvotes
Bay Area
Well if you have to ask, then the answer is most likely no (to trading in).
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1263 posts
486 upvotes
I know wowmobile take any conditions for trade in.
You can then use the trade in value to pay for sim card, accessories.
I'd wait on them having a deal if your planning to trade in S3.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15304 posts
2210 upvotes
Toronto
The last time I traded in a phone at wow mobile was in December, 2017 and they checked the IMEI to ensure it wasn't blacklisted. Not sure if this is still being done.

Did you try logging in to your koodo account to get the unlock code?

Did you check to see if the IMEI is on the national blacklist?

Did you get the IMEI from the label under the battery or by booting the phone and dialing *#06#?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19179 posts
4258 upvotes
Thornhill
When I traded in a phone at WoW Mobile in early September, they ran a IMEI check to make sure it wasn't blacklisted.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1410 posts
586 upvotes
Calgary
So you want to trade in a device to a cellular carrier that has probably been reported stolen..... I'm sorry, but you clearly don't have any common sense........

*shakes head*
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11661 posts
1376 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
That's why I wouldn't (recommend) buying a locked phone. That's not to say that you're safe with an unlocked phone, but with free unlocks now, there is no excuse not to unlock a phone before selling.

If you're interested in buying a phone that says is locked, tell the seller that unlocks are free, and if s/he gives excuses, then move along.