Shopping Discussion

Can you use someone else's membership at costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2007 11:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4061 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto

Can you use someone else's membership at costco?

I have a card with someone else's picture on the back. Will that be an issue?
44 replies
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
you cant use it unless the person is there with you. and yes it will be an issue
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1143 posts
25 upvotes
someone I know borrowed his dad's card (with permission), but costco confiscated the card and it was a hassle to get it back... so don't do it :)
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2797 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
nogoro wrote:
Nov 20th, 2007 8:21 pm
someone I know borrowed his dad's card (with permission), but costco confiscated the card and it was a hassle to get it back... so don't do it :)
I also went with my dads card and while it was easy to get in it is way harder to actually buy something with it (I didn't actually try). I was talking to one of the employees there who was really nice and ended up asking her about it and she told me that if they find out they will confiscate it, so nogoro is right.
C
spend money to save money - the theory is brilliant
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2981 posts
51 upvotes
My picture on my Costco card look's nothing like me, Give it a shot!
Seize the Day!
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1382 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
They confiscate the card in question.
They shame you in front of the other people waiting in line...

You leave pissed or embarassed.
I see it all the time, people trying to scam the system.

What I don't get is... if you are spending $100/week at costco, upgrade and pay for the $100 Executive membership as it will pay for itself and then some.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5529 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
qster wrote:
Nov 20th, 2007 8:59 pm
What I don't get is... if you are spending $100/week at costco, upgrade and pay for the $100 Executive membership as it will pay for itself and then some.
This is RFD your talking about here, same people who buy 2 whoppers for $1 each instead of just adding a patty for $1, then combine the 2 whoppers and save the extra bun, tomatoes, condiments etc from the second whopper for later use.

Back on topic, I did use my dad's business card once and they were nice enough to tell me not to do it again and let me make a purchase.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15925 posts
355 upvotes
good thing my dad came with me one time. i bought something with his card, while he was at the food court waiting for me. The cashier gave me an ugly hateful stare. but i was courteous throughout the ordeal, when she got pissed and started talking behind our back to some other worker. :mad:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7521 posts
251 upvotes
Brampton
Narci wrote:
Nov 20th, 2007 9:22 pm
This is RFD your talking about here, same people who buy 2 whoppers for $1 each instead of just adding a patty for $1, then combine the 2 whoppers and save the extra bun, tomatoes, condiments etc from the second whopper for later use.

Back on topic, I did use my dad's business card once and they were nice enough to tell me not to do it again and let me make a purchase.
:| ......Don't tell me you do that
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
2905 posts
ROFL. My dad's face and my face looks the same so hell yeah, they dont notice! Ask for ID, I box them with ID!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20279 posts
1686 upvotes
One question about the use of "dad's" card mentioned in a few of the posts above... Now I can understand why they wouldn't allow that if you're an adult, living at a different address, etc. but are you guys also saying that say someone younger like a teenager, that lives with their parents, can't use the membership of their parents? Like Costco requires every individual to get their own membership? So your husband/wife could not use your card either?

Seems a little strict, no? (Especially shaming you, LOL.)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
116 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Nov 20th, 2007 11:08 pm
One question about the use of "dad's" card mentioned in a few of the posts above... Now I can understand why they wouldn't allow that if you're an adult, living at a different address, etc. but are you guys also saying that say someone younger like a teenager, that lives with their parents, can't use the membership of their parents? Like Costco requires every individual to get their own membership? So your husband/wife could not use your card either?

Seems a little strict, no? (Especially shaming you, LOL.)
You can get a spouse/other card on your membership for someone living in your house.
Mar 30, 2007
98 posts
3 upvotes
Does the person who has the membership have to pay for the purchase or can someone else with the person who has the membership pay for the goods?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1143 posts
25 upvotes
honest thief wrote:
Nov 21st, 2007 1:59 am
Does the person who has the membership have to pay for the purchase or can someone else with the person who has the membership pay for the goods?
my experience has been they don't care who pays... just need:
1. valid costco card
2. that person has to be visible to cashier
Banned
Sep 2, 2006
5645 posts
2 upvotes
No, how on earth can you?
ItemFinder wrote:
Apr 13th, 2008 11:45 pm
Let me point out that the only people that like China are the mainlanders. Chinese from elsewhere refuse to be associated with China.
I always knew you were a genius.
× < >