Shopping Discussion

Can you use someone else's membership at costco?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2007 11:32 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
201 upvotes
i went once & had to get a guest pass with the name of the school that my mom works at to let me pick up some stuff... they gave me a hard time about it & i said "i'm glad my mom makes these decisions on where to buy bulk from.. i guess i'll tell her to renew at sams club"

once i did that i shopped with no problems
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37801 posts
798 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Tip for you guys that want to go in without a membership - get someone with a membership to buy gift cards for you online in small denominations. Your Gift card acts as a membership card. You pay by cash or any other payment methods if your transaction is more than the gift card value, and next time, take another gift card with you.
Check out my BST Threads!Silver Coins
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4039 posts
139 upvotes
Peterborough
I used to go with my dad's card all the time. Never got questioned until about 2 months ago when the cashier noticed that it was a different person. The supervisor let me go through that time but put some kind of a "note" on my dad's card and told me to not do it again. I have my own card now.
PSN ID: SaabFanatic
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
nogoro wrote:
Nov 20th, 2007 9:21 pm
my experience has been they don't care who pays... just need:
1. valid costco card
2. that person has to be visible to cashier
In my experience, they do unless you pay cash. The credit card you use needs to match the membership.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4052 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote:
Nov 20th, 2007 10:59 pm
Tip for you guys that want to go in without a membership - get someone with a membership to buy gift cards for you online in small denominations. Your Gift card acts as a membership card. You pay by cash or any other payment methods if your transaction is more than the gift card value, and next time, take another gift card with you.
really? Is shipping free for online orders?
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
'Sash[DSL wrote:;5962820']really? Is shipping free for online orders?
You don't have to ask your friend to buy that online. Member can buy that from the store.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Nov 18, 2006
271 posts
3 upvotes
my mom has used her sister in law's card several times with no problem.

me and my coworker used another coworker's card with no problem.

but now I got my own card anyways
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3432 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a membership and gave my wife the free spouse's card.
Then she lost the card.
So we went and had another card made for her (it was free).
Two days later she found her original card.
We compared the two cards, and the numbers were the same.
So she kept the new card, and gave the original one to her younger sister.
Her sister never gets hassled because she looks quite similar to my wife.
So basically her sister (who lives at a different address) got a free membership!
Sep 4, 2007
143 posts
1 upvote
honest thief wrote:
Nov 20th, 2007 8:59 pm
Does the person who has the membership have to pay for the purchase or can someone else with the person who has the membership pay for the goods?
my friend who was with me (who doesn't have her own card) was told that she had to pay cash and couldn't use debit, to pay for her purchase.
Nov 17, 2005
814 posts
1 upvote
pintobean wrote:
Nov 21st, 2007 9:17 am
I bought a membership and gave my wife the free spouse's card.
Then she lost the card.
So we went and had another card made for her (it was free).
Two days later she found her original card.
We compared the two cards, and the numbers were the same.
So she kept the new card, and gave the original one to her younger sister.
Her sister never gets hassled because she looks quite similar to my wife.
So basically her sister (who lives at a different address) got a free membership!
I thought they cancelled the old card when the new one is issued
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3432 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
The_dream2k wrote:
Nov 21st, 2007 11:46 am
I thought they cancelled the old card when the new one is issued
Apparently not...
The new card has the exact same number and bar code as the old card except it has a new picture.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1821 posts
806 upvotes
St. Catharines
honest thief wrote:
Nov 20th, 2007 8:59 pm
Does the person who has the membership have to pay for the purchase or can someone else with the person who has the membership pay for the goods?
My wife goes with her mother all the time. My mother-in-law has a Costco membership, my wife does not. One time they broke up what they were purchasing so they could pay for what they were getting. Simple enough. Mother-in-law buys her stuff. Then, while she stood beside her, they would not let my wife pay for her purchases with her debit card. My mother-in-law had to make the purchase and pay her back. Crazy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4052 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks a million to all that replied. Especially gman and Jon Lai for providing a simple viable solution to my problem.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3432 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
MegaSilver wrote:
Nov 21st, 2007 11:59 am
My wife goes with her mother all the time. My mother-in-law has a Costco membership, my wife does not. One time they broke up what they were purchasing so they could pay for what they were getting. Simple enough. Mother-in-law buys her stuff. Then, while she stood beside her, they would not let my wife pay for her purchases with her debit card. My mother-in-law had to make the purchase and pay her back. Crazy!
The exact same situation happened once with me and my brother.

Since I'm an a$$ when I'm challenged on something stupid like this, I chose to argue with the cashier.

I politely said "Fine I'm the member and I'll pay for the purchases, but I want to use a different debit card than the one I just used to buy my stuff"; I then openly took the debit card from my brother and told him to tell me his PIN. I then presented his debit card to the cashier and said that I'd punch in the PIN. She sighed and refused and called the manager. The manager came and said that what I was trying to do was not allowed, so I asked him to point out the rule that says that members can only pay with their own personal debit card. He couldn't do that, but he said "Why don't you just pay and let your brother pay you back later?" So I said "Why don't you just let me use his card and save me the hassle? Why does it matter to you so much which account the money comes from?" He finally said "OK we'll allow it, but just this one time..."

That policy really is crazy.
× < >