Investing

Canada 150: what's your TSX pick for 2nd half of the year?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2018 9:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1228 posts
279 upvotes
Ontario

Canada 150: what's your TSX pick for 2nd half of the year?

In honour of our 150th celebration, I ask you to declare your TSX stock of choice for performance in the second half of 2017. It looks like we are getting rate increase(s) and apparently the economy is peddling along, although we have continued weakness in energy and a fragile and bubbly real estate market. I would suggest therefore, for Canadian investments, the play is to avoid buying the whole market and attempt instead to ride along with the areas of our economy that are working.

So, what is your celebratory Canadian stock pick?
27 replies
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1244 posts
330 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
ATD.B, ready for the next gap up with the cst acquisition being completed
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1478 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
Shop
Delete account because there are way too many idiots on rfd
Oct 14, 2015
428 posts
109 upvotes
ENTERPRISE GROUP INC (E)

http://www.4-traders.com/ENTERPRISE-GRO ... 3/company/
Enterprise Group, Inc. is engaged in the provision of services for the utility, energy, and construction industries.

It operates through the following business segments: Utility and Infrastructure Construction, and Equipment Rental Services segments.
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
1556 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
Ctc.a looks beat up for no good reason.
A good quarter would suprise on the upside and send it soaring.
Oct 11, 2010
939 posts
283 upvotes
Charlottetown
APH, WEED, CMED... & ACB if you count stocks listed on Venture, I believe ACB will be uplisted before end of year. Or Marijuana ETF "HMMJ"

Weed stocks have taken a beating from their crazy high valuations and look to be in a slow bleed for the summer, but with legalization coming in 2018 many suspect weedstocks will gain a lot of steam in the fall leading up the legalization.

These I probably would not buy right now as I think they will sink lower throughout this stagnant summer but I'd be looking at buying in September perhaps
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3890 posts
832 upvotes
I bet on SLF/GWO/IAG

rising interest rate environment will benefit these guys. The second best option are preferreds.
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4190 posts
1261 upvotes
dlhunter wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 12:17 pm
I bet on SLF/GWO/IAG

rising interest rate environment will benefit these guys. The second best option are preferreds.
Leverage with Canadian Life Companies Split Corp. (TSE:LFE)?

LFE owns shares in SLF/GWO/IAG and MFC.

If NAV of LFE and LFE.PR.A is $15, a 1% rise should give about 3% on the commons (LFE).

NAV of LFE and LFE.PR.A was $15.02 on June 30, 2017. Link: http://www.quadravest.com/lfe-fund-features

Full Disclosure, I own LFE common shares.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
1955 posts
216 upvotes
I like IPL for the rest of the year. At this price I think it's good value and there's a solid 6%+ dividend too. Also recently purchased SLF so I agree with the above there.
Oct 21, 2014
920 posts
727 upvotes
Burlington, ON
My money's on Riocan. It is massively oversold and I believe that management's plans to diversify their properties to have residential along with retail will be successful in the long run.

Edit: Enbridge is another great pick.
Last edited by Gungnir on Jul 7th, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10107 posts
420 upvotes
Moncton, NB
I think ACB will go up once Aurora Sky is launched in October.

It better or I'll be doing the walk of shame into our financial planner's office!
KitKat item collector- always looking for swag or branded items.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9338 posts
3734 upvotes
Toronto
I believe in BB.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!