Investing

Canada 150: what's your TSX pick for 2nd half of the year?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2018 9:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1228 posts
279 upvotes
Ontario
dlhunter wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 12:17 pm
The second best option are preferreds.
How would you buy preferreds? Something like ZPR?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
2319 posts
1292 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
I am going to bet on EIF, SLF,LB,

EIF- short squeeze
SLF-Long term interest increases
LB- Still affected by HCG and the overall pessimism on mortgages (via B2B Bank brokerage arm).

As a general aside, rate reset preferreds may be a great place to park fixed income over the next bit.
Last edited by xgbsSS on Jul 7th, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6000/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Dec 2, 2014
417 posts
141 upvotes
London, ON
I really like Enercare (I don't think you'll see rapid growth however). Maybe GOOS if you're playing around with options or want to (essential) gamble.
Sep 12, 2008
60 posts
15 upvotes
Canada
New Flyer (NFI). Here is an excellent, underrrated company with great management. Their recent quarterly announcement was not great,
(but not horrible) and was partly due to:

-Trump tax code causing one-time expenses
-Conjecture over how much metal price increases will affect their input costs
-Conjecture over whether they might be affected by tariffs (More of their plants are actually in the US than Canada, so I doubt it)

But I say that long-term, the company sill continue to outperform (and continue to go under the radar).
Nov 13, 2006
732 posts
390 upvotes
jfall wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 11:54 am
APH, WEED, CMED... & ACB if you count stocks listed on Venture, I believe ACB will be uplisted before end of year. Or Marijuana ETF "HMMJ"

Weed stocks have taken a beating from their crazy high valuations and look to be in a slow bleed for the summer, but with legalization coming in 2018 many suspect weedstocks will gain a lot of steam in the fall leading up the legalization.

These I probably would not buy right now as I think they will sink lower throughout this stagnant summer but I'd be looking at buying in September perhaps
If you listened to this guy, you would have been rich!
Feb 29, 2008
210 posts
40 upvotes
Brampton
shplad wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 3:10 pm
New Flyer (NFI). Here is an excellent, underrrated company with great management. Their recent quarterly announcement was not great,
(but not horrible) and was partly due to:

-Trump tax code causing one-time expenses
-Conjecture over how much metal price increases will affect their input costs
-Conjecture over whether they might be affected by tariffs (More of their plants are actually in the US than Canada, so I doubt it)

But I say that long-term, the company sill continue to outperform (and continue to go under the radar).
Bought this company at 16 or 17 a share. Its paid for multiple mini vacations over last 2 years anx I still have some left. May add some more at is down from high of close to $60
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
2319 posts
1292 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
Haha this post is from last year so not sure why it got revived, although it was interesting to see the picks I made last year and others. It is always good to reflect on past ideas and see how well they did.

I would still buy the ones I posted. My EIF pick did well, so did SLF. LB not so great, but if I did buy a lot, I would still be holding.

Today, I would keep my EIF, look into MFG MFC instead for insurance. LB i liked due to the weakness, although I would add BNS.
Last edited by xgbsSS on Jun 14th, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6000/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1542 posts
528 upvotes
GTA
xgbsSS wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 8:58 pm

Today, I would keep my EIF, look into MFG instead for insurance. LB i liked due to the weakness, although I would add BNS.
on "MFG", why it?

who are are they, what do they do & where are they listed?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
1955 posts
216 upvotes
I think that was supposed to be MFC - Manulife, not MFG.

Looking back at mine from 2017, IPL did just ok, only up about 2.5% from July-December 2017 plus the dividend. The share price is down about 5% from July 2017 to current though. SLF has done better at +18.2% and the dividend on top of that. July - December SLF went up about 12%.

I have not made any recent purchases and don't really have any 2018 picks yet. I'll have to think more on that.
Feb 26, 2017
747 posts
336 upvotes
I'd probably pick ENB, BNS, AQN and CU which are the Canadian stocks I've been adding to this year.

Hopefully this post looks good in a year ...
Sep 12, 2008
60 posts
15 upvotes
Canada
CNR is worth a look. I think it is underpriced, considering how much oil and misc. goods they are transporting. They had a good runup recently, but they were quite underpriced before that, so still worth a look. I have a full position, so I'm biased.