• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2018 7:01 pm
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
324 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto

[Canada Computers] Adata SU650 120gb $29.99

Jeez I thought the A400 was the cheapest SSD with a brand name.

Going to leave thread now before the huge arguments come.
41 replies
Sep 10, 2018
38 posts
92 upvotes
It's fairly slow even compared to my old budget drive but for internet web surfing machine that's still running spinning disk, this will make a huge difference for only $30+tax+shipping.

If all you need is just email and internet, this is best $30 you will ever spend to make it faster.

Shipping to Alberta
1 - $9.39
2 - $10.24
3 - $11.04
4 - $11.72
5 - $17.23

It looks like 2 is minimum to make sense of deal and 4 is sweet spot.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1640 posts
1342 upvotes
Montreal
There's very little stock at Canada Computer at the moment with only 10 in the "online store" and 1 in Québec.

If you can't get to a store and have to pay about $10 for shipping for 1 SSD, why not go instead for a Top Brand like Crucial with Free shipping and reduced taxes? I don't understand how Amazon calculate taxes but for me, it shows only about half of normal taxes.

So, in total, about the same price but a better drive: Crucial BX500 120 GB $38 Amazon.ca EDIT: it's now back in stock.

And for about $6 further up the price scale, there’s the better, faster Crucial BX300 120 GB (with MLC memory cells) still available: $44 Third party seller on Amazon.ca

Don’t be fooled by the quoted 520 MBps reading and 320 MBps writing speeds for the Adata SU650 on Canada Computers’s Web site: that’s BS from the manufacturer. You are buying a slooooow SSD when compared to others. Those results happened once, in a laboratory, on a Thursday afternoon, on a “bomb” of a computer, perfectly tuned to achieve the best results possible and with the wind blowing just right… I promise, you won’t get those results in real life.

A more realistic approach is to check the results from ssd.userBenchMark.com

Those results are an average based on thousands of real life samples from thousands of different systems that are not at the best they could be, just like YOUR system at home. The more samples, the more the statistically abnormal results are diluted in the average.

Those average results show that the Crucial BX500 and the BX300 are faster SSDs.

That being said, the results on ssd.userBenchMark.com, though useful to give a general idea while comparing SSDs, should be taken with a grain of salt and not as an absolute, especially when the sample is small.

I have compiled in the table below the AVERAGE and MAXIMUM results from ssd.userBenchMark.com

If you buy the Adata SU650, at least you can comfort yourself by looking at the dismal results of the pathetic Kingston A400 who never achieved more than 153 MBps in sustained writing speed from a sample of 13,850! The other maximum results of the Kingston A400 120 GB are among the lowest of the bunch.

Do yourself a favor and but at least the BX500.

Click on the image to enlarge.

Slow.png
Last edited by Temporel on Sep 25th, 2018 7:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
1937 posts
825 upvotes
Winnipeg
PM BB/ME in the morning if you want to save a buck and shipping IF you close to one.

We're getting closer to joking about how driving to BB/ME will eliminate any savings!
May 24, 2018
22 posts
11 upvotes
FrostyWinnipeg wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 2:04 am
PM BB/ME in the morning if you want to save a buck and shipping IF you close to one.

We're getting closer to joking about how driving to BB/ME will eliminate any savings!
But gas is so expensive! Jk. Haha.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31826 posts
8190 upvotes
GTHA
FrostyWinnipeg wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 2:04 am

Best Buy does not sell this drive.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
3462 posts
1005 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I have a question.
I keep reading for SSD, you need to disable indexing in windows.
But my outlook email search is soooooooo slow with it disabled.
Isnt it counterproductive?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1640 posts
1342 upvotes
Montreal
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 9:23 am
I have a question.

I also have the same doubts.
I keep reading from SSD "experts" to disable indexing and superfetch while Windows 10 experts say leave those On as Windows knows about SSDs and knows what's best.
I leave it on. I think it's coming from the mentality of an older era where saving writing cycles on SSDs mattered. It doesn't anymore.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
3462 posts
1005 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Temporel wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 9:41 am

I also have the same doubts.
I keep reading from SSD "experts" to disable indexing and superfetch while Windows 10 experts say leave those On as Windows knows about SSDs and knows what's best.
I leave it on. I think it's coming from the mentality of an older era where saving writing cycles on SSDs mattered. It doesn't anymore.
So most people leave it on with ssd?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12850 posts
3243 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 1:57 am
There's very little stock at Canada Computer at the moment with only 5 in the "online store" and 3 in Québec.
That's because it's been on sale at this price for a week.

There was a LOT of stock when it first hit $29, like 10+ per store.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12850 posts
3243 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 9:41 am
That's a weird statement considering SSD write cycles drop with every new & smaller NAND generation. Sure, improved controller tech mitigates that to a small extent, but not even close to making up the difference.

That old high-nm MLC will last longer than a human will, and it's only the controller lifespan that will kill it. I have a first-gen Intel SSD from like 2008 that I use as a cache drive (after a long service in the desktop and in an old Macbook) and it's still chugging along.
Nov 30, 2002
514 posts
30 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
JackWhyte wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 11:29 am
That's a weird statement considering SSD write cycles drop with every new & smaller NAND generation. Sure, improved controller tech mitigates that to a small extent, but not even close to making up the difference.

That old high-nm MLC will last longer than a human will, and it's only the controller lifespan that will kill it. I have a first-gen Intel SSD from like 2008 that I use as a cache drive (after a long service in the desktop and in an old Macbook) and it's still chugging along.
How empty you keep your drive is going to matter a lot here, I think. Keeping it half empty will leave the controller lots of freedom to do wear leveling, kind of thing.. but if you are using 90% of the drive, wear issues could get more serious?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
1937 posts
825 upvotes
Winnipeg
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 9:23 am
I have a question.
The only thing you're supposed to disable is defragging and thats done automatically by Windows. So i'd leave well enough alone. If something changes the masses will scream DON'T DO THAT!
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1640 posts
1342 upvotes
Montreal
JackWhyte wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 11:29 am
That's a weird statement considering SSD write cycles drop with every new & smaller NAND generation. Sure, improved controller tech mitigates that to a small extent, but not even close to making up the difference. (...)

And here comes "Sunshine Jack". When the first planar TLCs came out, they were small and cost an arm and a leg. They were mostly used in Data Centers/server equipments where wearing out of the NANDs DID occur. You might have wanted to save a few cycles THEN. Not anymore when sizes start at 120-240 GB, cost less than $40 for a decent drive and are mostly used in consumer set-ups. Are you still worried about wearing out the NANDs in your TLCs Jack? That's because you are stuck in an old mentality. And even though the latest BX500 SSDs only sport 40 TBW for the 120 GB, it's plenty for most users and underestimated for marketing purposes and to keep warranty costs down on such low margin products. Today, no consumer will lose a SSD by wearing out the NANDs. It's something else that will kill the SSD like another electronic component (controller like you said, DRAM, a capacitor, etc.) or simply obsolescence.