Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] Canada Computers: AVLogic Mini DV Car Dashboard Camera $24.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2012 8:08 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 10, 2009
607 posts
1204 upvotes
London

[Canada Computers] Canada Computers: AVLogic Mini DV Car Dashboard Camera $24.99

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=035169

Bought this today after seeing that ridiculous 401 video from yesterday. Great little device for someone wanting a starter dashboard cam, came to $28.69 taxes included. Was expecting to have to buy some other equipment to set it up, but to my surprise it came with all of the following:
- Cigarette lighter to USB adapter
- 2 different mounting brackets, one with velcro and one suction-cup style
- clip which fits into the mounting brackets or could be clipped to your shirt pocket, etc
- USB cable
- USB adapter
- Carrying pouch and strap
- CD and manual, CD includes program to adjust the date/timestamp on the video

Other features listed on the box:
- 2.0 MP
- Video output 640x480, 30 frames per sec
- Photo output 2560x1920 DPI
- supports MicroSD card up to 16GB (NOT included)
- records audio along with the video

I had a 4GB MicroSD card, popped it right in and tested it on my way home. Works perfectly for under $30! Records in 5 minute intervals with a 1-2 second break in between. Started recording automatically when I started the car, too! According to the manual it records until the memory card is full and then overwrites the oldest video.

Video is pretty much what you would expect, not HD quality but would definitely help your cause if you're in a traffic accident. I can probably post some video later if any of you want.

Some pics of what is in the box:
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5224 ... 101221.jpg
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3736 ... 101221.jpg
116 replies
Mar 26, 2008
891 posts
1166 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the very informative post.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1667 posts
83 upvotes
Ottawa
so you wanna catch stuff like this...?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
4803 posts
1001 upvotes
Kanata
can00k wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2011 2:18 pm
- CD includes program to adjust the date/timestamp on the video

Haha, the officer comes knocking on your door. "...but officer, I wasn't even at the scene of the crime, look at the time stamp on the video!"

Thanks though, I was just there too, I may have bought this.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2009
607 posts
1204 upvotes
London
I hope I never have to record something like that, no. But a few years ago some punk teenager backed his car into me and lied to police officers, saying I rear-ended him. Luckily for me, him and his dirtbag family were horrible drivers and insured by a high-risk insurance company. I have a spotless record. Thankfully, my insurance company believed my story over his. But having a camera like this would've made the whole ordeal a lot easier.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16485 posts
1482 upvotes
don't those hong kong sites(dealextreme,etc) have them cheaper?

wow, that truck milton crash youtube vid was pretty cool, no one got hurt!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1914 posts
41 upvotes
can00k wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2011 2:18 pm
Video is pretty much what you would expect, not HD quality but would definitely help your cause if you're in a traffic accident.
Unless you are looking to get into an accident or have cat like reflexes and hit record just before impact I don't see how this could help. If anything it might serve as a distraction during driving or worse invite thieves to break into your car over a $25 camera. If you want something a bit more discreet with less wires you could get something like this from dealextreme:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-rechar ... slot-44188

My brother in-law uses one and straps it on top of his Nitro RC cars and the video quality of it is quite good and survived many flip overs. Thanks for sharing anyways OP!
[OP]
Jan 10, 2009
607 posts
1204 upvotes
London
mwong168 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2011 2:57 pm
Unless you are looking to get into an accident or have cat like reflexes and hit record just before impact I don't see how this could help.

It starts recording continuously as soon as you turn on your car. Actually, it records for 5 minutes, then stops for about 2 seconds and automatically starts a recording new .avi file. Does this until the memory card is full, then it over-writes the oldest .avi file. No hitting record needed.
Deal Fanatic
May 28, 2002
8279 posts
93 upvotes
Kitchener
Cops hate it when you have one of these. :)
Stop supporting monopolistic companies like Bell and Rogers if you want positive change in the Canadian telecommunications industry.
Dec 12, 2008
45 posts
13 upvotes
I was looking for something like this, and was considering a Mini DV MD80...ebay for <$13. anyone have comments on either.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
2808 posts
23 upvotes
thx op

I ordered 2, placing one in the front and one in the rear

perhaps I shall get 2 more for the sides....??
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1914 posts
41 upvotes
can00k wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2011 3:00 pm
It starts recording continuously as soon as you turn on your car. Actually, it records for 5 minutes, then stops for about 2 seconds and automatically starts a recording new .avi file. Does this until the memory card is full, then it over-writes the oldest .avi file. No hitting record needed.

Nice feature and I guess you mount and dismount it each time you drive your car then?
can00k wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2011 2:52 pm
I hope I never have to record something like that, no. But a few years ago some punk teenager backed his car into me and lied to police officers, saying I rear-ended him. Luckily for me, him and his dirtbag family were horrible drivers and insured by a high-risk insurance company. I have a spotless record. Thankfully, my insurance company believed my story over his. But having a camera like this would've made the whole ordeal a lot easier.
Funny story, I had someone back into my parked car pretty fast and it was as if he didn't even see it or looked before he hit the pedal to the metal. He wanted to settle cash cause he had a bad record and a few collision claims in a short period of time. I told him sure for a certain amount after I took it to my body shop for an estimate for repairs and he said his father didn't agree and wanted to meet up to discuss. I told him there is no negotiation and if I had taken it to the dealership the repair quotation would be even higher. My friend works for the building and he burned me the video footage and I showed him the "fast and furious" version and said clearly your son is an idiot who shouldn't be driving. We can either settle or just go through insurance and in the end we went through insurance and the car ended up getting written off.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
2808 posts
23 upvotes
hyperion wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2011 3:09 pm
Cops hate it when you have one of these. :)

why would they? if they so mind us catching them doing something wrong, then perhaps they shuoldnt be cop to begin with.... or they can just tase us until we surrender the camera
Mar 25, 2006
59 posts
9 upvotes
mwong168 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2011 2:57 pm
Unless you are looking to get into an accident or have cat like reflexes and hit record just before impact I don't see how this could help. If anything it might serve as a distraction during driving or worse invite thieves to break into your car over a $25 camera. If you want something a bit more discreet with less wires you could get something like this from dealextreme:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-rechar ... slot-44188

My brother in-law uses one and straps it on top of his Nitro RC cars and the video quality of it is quite good and survived many flip overs. Thanks for sharing anyways OP!

Maybe it is just me but links are broken :(
× < >