Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Jan 27, 2015
287 posts
362 upvotes
King City, ON
I am trying to build the USB install key from within the eMMC system, but I keep running into the fact that there isn’t 8 GB of disc space available. I uninstalled office but there still isn’t enough. What the heck is taking up all that space? I can’t find anything else big enough to uninstall.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1993 posts
1433 upvotes
Markham
Still waiting for my Crucial 500GB M2, but so far very pleased with this laptop. Build quality is excellent for the price and the all metal design has a nice MacBook Air feel for those into that. This is replacing my Gateway EC1803h, which it completely blows away. Obviously no XPS but this will be great for travel and basic office productivity.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
mletemps wrote: I've Installed windows 10 on the m.2 sata drive and changed the boot order, but for some reason it won't boot directly to the m.2 drive.

I have to pick it directly from the boot override.

Even after I reset the bios to factory default, it continues to do this.

Would you have to have any ideas as to why it is doing this?
Under boot options, can u move the m. 2 drive to the very top? Then move uefi down a few. Resetting the bios will just put the uefi shell/emmc back to the top. I haven't installed win onto m. 2 cos I got enough space after fresh installing over the emmc and I dun need the extra speed the m. 2 provides for what I do.
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
McAngus wrote: I am trying to build the USB install key from within the eMMC system, but I keep running into the fact that there isn’t 8 GB of disc space available. I uninstalled office but there still isn’t enough. What the heck is taking up all that space? I can’t find anything else big enough to uninstall.
That's why I'm telling every1 to fresh install over emmc. I think it's prolly the updates and patches and drivers. The driver store dir takes about 5 gb by itself. But only 2 drivers were needed after fresh install to fix the unknown devices. Ur in a weird situation, dun u have another winbloze pc to make the key? How about use ur Mac, d/l the win10 DVD iso and use unetbootin for Mac to write to USB drive?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1993 posts
1433 upvotes
Markham
McAngus wrote: I am trying to build the USB install key from within the eMMC system, but I keep running into the fact that there isn’t 8 GB of disc space available. I uninstalled office but there still isn’t enough. What the heck is taking up all that space? I can’t find anything else big enough to uninstall.
A clean install of Windows is usually around 20GB, which the version in this computer is. I dunno how much bloat there is to remove, but it looks like you did all that.

You can also lower your page file. Go to your control panel and search for “performance”. Under System, click the Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows. A new window will pop up and you can click on the second tab, Advanced. Under Virtual Memory, you can alter the size of the page file temporarily to do your work. Keep in mind this may slow the system down if you lower it but this is only a temp fix for your problem.

There’s also other things you can do like temp files and stuff, but I assume you did that. Otherwise, a fresh install is the way to go.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Jan 27, 2015
287 posts
362 upvotes
King City, ON
bitronic1 wrote: How about use ur Mac, d/l the win10 DVD iso and use unetbootin for Mac to write to USB drive?
I'm glad you tacked on that last sentence after your original post. I am running unetbootin right now!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3270 posts
3674 upvotes
I am getting an X1 carbon 3rd gen with 5th gen CPU and will let this go at cost (already did the optimization, upgrade to win 10 pro, installed full MS office 2007 and acrobat professional for you!). PM if you live in Winnipeg or Toronto (I will visit Toronto in February). Only will trade with long time RFD users (registered before 2016).
Last edited by Glancealot on Jan 2nd, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
May 19, 2013
117 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
bitronic1 wrote: Under boot options, can u move the m. 2 drive to the very top? Then move uefi down a few. Resetting the bios will just put the uefi shell/emmc back to the top. I haven't installed win onto m. 2 cos I got enough space after fresh installing over the emmc and I dun need the extra speed the m. 2 provides for what I do.
No matter what boot order i use or even if i do a fresh install on the emmc memory and take out the m.2 drive, it always takes me to the bios saying that "ROM image is not loaded." and "ROM Image update denied." in the recovery tab.

From there I have to select the boot drive.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1219 posts
395 upvotes
bitronic1 wrote: That's why I'm telling every1 to fresh install over emmc. I think it's prolly the updates and patches and drivers. The driver store dir takes about 5 gb by itself. But only 2 drivers were needed after fresh install to fix the unknown devices. Ur in a weird situation, dun u have another winbloze pc to make the key? How about use ur Mac, d/l the win10 DVD iso and use unetbootin for Mac to write to USB drive?
How do you do a fresh install to the eMMC?

1) Create Windows 10 USB Installer
2) Install via USB Key into eMMC
3) Let Windows Update
4) Manually install two missing drivers
5) DONE?
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
McAngus wrote: I'm glad you tacked on that last sentence after your original post. I am running unetbootin right now!
With Mac or pc? Technically both should do, but the Mac is prolly much faster.
Aug 22, 2007
66 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
bizzyseller wrote: How do you do a fresh install to the eMMC?

1) Create Windows 10 USB Installer
2) Install via USB Key into eMMC
3) Let Windows Update
4) Manually install two missing drivers
5) DONE?
Exactly. It's THAT EZ.
May 19, 2013
117 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
bitronic1 wrote: Exactly. It's THAT EZ.
Can anyone upload the two missing drivers and link them?
I formatted my drive prior to saving the driver folder...

Any help is much appreciated.
Oct 9, 2014
240 posts
289 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I bought this and grabbed WD 250GB SSD for $65.

I simply installed Windows on the M.2 SSD and then I deleted the entry in BootMGR so that it wouldn't dual boot into the eMMC. That way I kept the original installation and recovery files if need be.
Jan 27, 2015
287 posts
362 upvotes
King City, ON
bitronic1 wrote: With Mac or pc? Technically both should do, but the Mac is prolly much faster.
It was on the Mac, and it WAS fast, considering I already had the latest Windows 10 ISO on the drive.

Unfortunately, although I have created the USB install drive a couple of times, and tried reformatting it, the installation halts after a couple of minutes on the iSmart with the error "Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\install.wim. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation."