Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Jun 21, 2008
508 posts
122 upvotes
mississauga
Hieber wrote: Can this run MS Office? I usually do a bunch of work in Excel and hope it works well.

Edit: Can this at least handle light photo editing via Lightroom or InDesign work?
It can definitely do office, i'm using it for that
Mar 1, 2011
237 posts
430 upvotes
Calgary
bitronic1 wrote: How is it not allowing u to set fingerprint? No option, or error msg?
Fixed by resetting the OS.
Dec 14, 2006
31 posts
22 upvotes
entity wrote: crud, think I have a battery issue with mine. A restart drains approx 10% battery, and it occasionally drops by 10% in a matter of a couple minutes. Hope CC exchanges w/out hassle.
My first unit had the same exact behaviour, sorry to hear I wasn't the only one. I got mine exchanged just fine after spending some time with the technician at the store.
Mar 2, 2017
883 posts
599 upvotes
mwmsnow wrote: At the time of my previous post, I had solved the problem of getting the Ubuntu installation media (image on USB) to boot, and I was interested to test the OS before deciding whether I would invest in an M.2 SSD which would be needed for a permanent installation. Since that test went so well, I bought the 500GB WD at Canada Computers this morning. It was only $15 more than the 250GB version.

To install, I avoided making any change to the media where Windows 10 lives. I wrestled a bit to persuade Ubuntu to do an LVM-based installation and it eventually agreed.

I'm not a Windows user, so I can't make a valid comparison between it and Ubuntu. In general, Linux requires fewer resources than Windows. My iSmart Linux is performing nicely. The battery lasts a long time, and goes even further with BlueTooth turned off. At some point, I may capture some screens but I'm not sure what that will tell you. The OS reports that the display is running at 1920 x 1080 (16:9) and refreshing at 59.93Hz.

I don't demand a lot from my Laptop. It's usually just a terminal. When I'm doing something that requires power, I'm logged in to servers that have the necessary resources.
That’s awesome I would love to get a distro of Kali Linux on this for pen testing. Anybody do that?
Last edited by sks8100 on Jan 3rd, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3258 posts
2646 upvotes
Markham
mwmsnow wrote: To install, I avoided making any change to the media where Windows 10 lives. I wrestled a bit to persuade Ubuntu to do an LVM-based installation and it eventually agreed.

I'm not a Windows user, so I can't make a valid comparison between it and Ubuntu. In general, Linux requires fewer resources than Windows. My iSmart Linux is performing nicely. The battery lasts a long time, and goes even further with BlueTooth turned off.
Would you share how to do a LVM-based installation of Ubuntu? I am planning to install Ubuntu on a 250GB m2 drive and dual boot this laptop with Windows 10 on the eMMC drive untouched. Do you install Grub on the eMMC drive so that it can dual boot either the eMMC drive or the m2 drive?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3043 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto
aw1883 wrote: First thing I did was install TeamViewer to make sure it worked. Then I started doing Windows updates. At some point it complained about lack of storage so I removed the games, then TeamViewer, then Office 365, and it was enough to finish the update. Though there are of course more updates to do. I have as couple of questions if anyone's dealt with this.
Disclaimer: I'm not a Windows user so I'm not a Windows expert.

The installed Windows is very clean: I saw no bloat from Canada Computer. I assume that the copy of Office is bloat, but from Microsoft: a 30 day trial version.

Perhaps the first thing to do is create a restore or recovery USB stick (I never remember the correct Windows terminology). I didn't bother.

I found that I could do all the updates. Every once in a while during the sequence of updates I had to clean out useless files, including system files. If you go to C: Properties: Disk space: Clean up (from memory: I'm typing this on the iSmart, but from Fedora), you can get enough space back for the next update. Each major update adds gigs of crud as backups.

On other machines I've had to throw stuff overboard to make room for updates. The sample version of Office was the first to go. Next: Candy Crush. You can display the "apps" in order of size and that helps you select the most productive targets. Chrome and Firefox are surprisingly large. No idea about TeamViewer. It's easy to reload apps from the Microsoft Store app. But I didn't have to do any of this on the iSmart.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3043 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto
mletemps wrote: I've Installed windows 10 on the m.2 sata drive and changed the boot order, but for some reason it won't boot directly to the m.2 drive.

I have to pick it directly from the boot override.

Even after I reset the bios to factory default, it continues to do this.

Would you have to have any ideas as to why it is doing this?
From my Linux installation experience, I would suggest you try enabling the CSM (a setting in the firmware setup). It affects what can be booted, even if all choices are UEFI. I consider this a bug.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3043 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto
bitronic1 wrote: Absolutely, but if ur technical enough u can put grub on the eMMC drive linked to ur Ubuntu m. 2 drive; as some users reported having issues setting the system to straight boot from m. 2
I'm unfamiliar with the Ubuntu installer. In Fedora, this was the default behaviour (I think: I manually overrode some things). Just make sure /boot/efi is the EFI System Partition on the eMMC. I would hope that Ubuntu gets that right too.
Oct 19, 2009
205 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
drdtyc wrote: Would you share how to do a LVM-based installation of Ubuntu? I am planning to install Ubuntu on a 250GB m2 drive and dual boot this laptop with Windows 10 on the eMMC drive untouched. Do you install Grub on the eMMC drive so that it can dual boot either the eMMC drive or the m2 drive?
As I recall, with the m.2 installed, I booted the Ubuntu installation media (USB) and dropped into evaluation mode. From there, I opened a terminal and manually partitioned the m.2 drive, then created the Physical Volume and added it to a Volume Group. I created Logical Volumes for root (/), home and swap. I think I created filesystems on the root and home LVs; perhaps its not necessary. At that point, you reboot and go through the normal Ubuntu install, but the logical volumes can now be (and must be) assigned to mount points /, /home and 'swap'.
Aug 15, 2012
48 posts
28 upvotes
Can anyone with this running on Windows 10 let me know what is the behaviour when battery is charged to 100% and still plugged in? On my Lenovo it would say 100%, and stop charging or indicate not being charged. However with the iSmart, it's showing 100%, plugged in, charging. I did do a battery calibration (ran the laptop until it shut down on its own and charged it back up), but still showing plugged in, charging.

Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3270 posts
3674 upvotes
rogermobile wrote: Can anyone with this running on Windows 10 let me know what is the behaviour when battery is charged to 100% and still plugged in? On my Lenovo it would say 100%, and stop charging or indicate not being charged. However with the iSmart, it's showing 100%, plugged in, charging. I did do a battery calibration (ran the laptop until it shut down on its own and charged it back up), but still showing plugged in, charging.

Thanks.
just do what I do: only plug in when the battery level is critically low, then unplug the charger when the battery is almost full.

because the battery life is so good, you actually only need to do this every couple of days.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1519 posts
505 upvotes
Winnipeg
So quick question regarding booting to the new m.2 ssd I've installed and loaded windows 10 on.
How do I get the pc to only boot from the ssd? Always asks to boot from either drive 2 (ssd) or drive 5 which is the built in drive.
Lorenzo
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3043 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto
drdtyc wrote: Download 32-bit or 64-bit version ?
The firmware is 64-bit UEFI. If you install a UEFI version of Windows, I'm pretty sure that it must be 64-bit.

In theory, you could probably switch to legacy booting and install using MBR partitioning. Then you could install 32 or 64 bit Windows. I think that that would be a bad choice.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
2094 posts
38 upvotes
Shit, mine has a stuck pixel. Do these have a chance of fixing themselves? I don't know if I care enough to try to change it on the off chance a new one might be fine.

That said, the metal body is surprisingly great. I think it feels more premium than the Dell G3 I bought.