Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] [Canada Computers]/$200/13.3 IPS FHD(1920x1080)/Fanless/N3450/4GB RAM/32GB SSD+m.2/12.9mm metal chassis/Poorman's XPS 13

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2016
1073 posts
841 upvotes
Leverage wrote: Something to add - on both the iSmart models (cheaper 2 GB RAM one and this one), the RAM is actually underclocked to 1066 MHz, when its full speed is 1600 MHz. You can check if yours is underclocked in Win 10 by going to right click Taskbar > Task Manager > Performance tab > Memory > check "Speed".

For whatever crazy reason these shipped with the wrong speed set. If you boot into BIOS (Hit Esc/F1 on iSmart logo), there are settings under North Bridge to set the speed from 1066 to 1600. Save and reboot, and check Task Manager again, and enjoy your significantly increased RAM performance. :)
Both laptops are fanless. Pretty sure they underclocked the ram to prevent overheating
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3270 posts
3673 upvotes
Leverage wrote: Here you are: https://imgur.com/a/gaLivgz

Note that this was on the lower spec iSmart laptop from CC, the one with 2 GB RAM.
Thanks. The only thing I have is "MAX TOLUD". I set it to 3GB? (default is 2).

I don't know what that means...
Bitcoin will crash hard.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3270 posts
3673 upvotes
For people that think this machine is really slow, I booted up (cold boot) the laptop this morning in a couple of seconds, and opened up battle.net to update hearthstone (500mb patch), then played for a couple of minutes with hearthstone tracker turned on, experienced 0 lag or delay throughout the entire process.

This weekend, i will shoot a video like @Leverage did above just to show you how misinformed some of the naysayers are about these new low wattage CPUs.

BTW, price is $230 now.
CCHIPSS wrote: Both laptops are fanless. Pretty sure they underclocked the ram to prevent overheating
they probably only did it for the 2GB version.

because for the 4GB version, that option isn't even available.

and my memory usage has only been 50% at most.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9041 posts
1906 upvotes
Montreal, QC
High performance power scheme is stupid, it will force the CPU to always run at the highest clock rate, stick to balanced and let the governor/dynamic frequency scaling/Speedstep do its job.
Power save is also stupid, you want to rush to idle, it uses less power to work at high clock rate for a very short time then linger at lower clock speed.

Enabling dynamic frequency should also allow for turbo/burst frequency boost
May 19, 2017
184 posts
174 upvotes
Glancealot wrote: Thanks. The only thing I have is "MAX TOLUD". I set it to 3GB? (default is 2).

I don't know what that means...
Mine was set to 1600Mhz so yours should be too? Just check task manager memory tab
May 19, 2017
184 posts
174 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote: High performance power scheme is stupid, it will force the CPU to always run at the highest clock rate, stick to balanced and let the governor/dynamic frequency scaling/Speedstep do its job.
Power save is also stupid, you want to rush to idle, it uses less power to work at high clock rate for a very short time then linger at lower clock speed.

Enabling dynamic frequency should also allow for turbo/burst frequency boost
Incorrect, High performance still allows EIST/speedstep to function. I can watch the cores clock between 800 and 2200mhz
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3270 posts
3673 upvotes
TheRealSwatson wrote: Mine was set to 1600Mhz so yours should be too? Just check task manager memory tab
yup it's 1600Mhz under task manager.

But do you know what MAX TOLUD does? I can't seem to google up a quick and easy answer...

It's under north bridge under chipset.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
May 19, 2017
184 posts
174 upvotes
Glancealot wrote: yup it's 1600Mhz under task manager.

But do you know what MAX TOLUD does? I can't seem to google up a quick and easy answer...

It's under north bridge under chipset.
I believe it's maximum RAM the gpu can access
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25532 posts
5759 upvotes
Glancealot wrote: For people that think this machine is really slow, I booted up (cold boot) the laptop this morning in a couple of seconds, and opened up battle.net to update hearthstone (500mb patch), then played for a couple of minutes with hearthstone tracker turned on, experienced 0 lag or delay throughout the entire process.
Don't think anyone is saying it's "slow" per se, just that it's not a fast processor and doesn't have a heck of a lot of computational power. Just because you started up some low-requirements "game" and booted and opened it up from flash memory/NAND quickly, doesn't really prove anything except that anyone still using an HDD for a boot drive, is simply clueless in this day and age (and even 6+ years ago for that matter). Even eMMC makes HDDs look like garbage.
Glancealot wrote: This weekend, i will shoot a video like @Leverage did above just to show you how misinformed some of the naysayers are about these new low wattage CPUs.
No need for the video, your story is believable and nothing special. These are also not "new" CPUs either. N3450 came out over two years ago and while it's true Goldmont is significantly better than Braswell, at the end of the day it's still an Atom and this is still a $200-250 laptop, it's simply not a $1500 laptop that's somehow selling for some steal of a price. For the price it does the job you need it to obviously but that's because a $200 device can do the job you need to do. Incidentally if we go to the other end of this, this is exactly why I tell people they don't need to be buying $400+ i7 CPUs either, but that doesn't stop people from doing it anyway thinking you "need" an i7 and 32GBs of RAM to do general tasks, watch videos, and browse the internet :rolleyes:

As a side note W10 is also not new either but it seems you're just discovering that now 3+ years after it released as well...

I think the difficulty here is understanding that a $200 laptop can indeed do a lot these days but they're still inferior in many ways to a laptop with a real CPU, more RAM, a real SSD, etc. Are there a ton of people out there that don't really need any more than this? Sure. Do those people know that? Probably not. None of this changes the fact that this is not rivaling something like an XPS with components like those mentioned.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3270 posts
3673 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Are there a ton of people out there that don't really need any more than this? Sure.
and this thread is targeting that group of people!

I don't think anyone sane is buying this laptop to run autocad or photoshop just because the title says "poorman's XPS 13". But to give you the peace of mind, I will add a disclaimer in OP to emphasize the limitations when I have time.
TheRealSwatson wrote: I believe it's maximum RAM the gpu can access
sounds good, I will run the benchmark software again and report back! (I didn't change the max TOLUD setting when I did my runs)
Last edited by Glancealot on Dec 12th, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
May 19, 2017
184 posts
174 upvotes
Glancealot wrote: and this thread is targeting that group of people!

I don't think anyone sane is buying this laptop to run autocad or photoshop just because the title says "poorman's XPS 13".

sounds good, I will run the benchmark software again and report back! (I didn't change the max TOLUD setting when I did my runs)
I would not change that setting. 3GB is more vram than that gpu will ever need but if you turn it down it can cause problems. I wouldnt turn it up either just because you are now introducing possible problem if the game has a memory leak