• Dec 1st, 2018 1:20 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3042 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
The specs say IPS. The screen specs look good. I run Linux on things like this. Recently they've started to become sluggish with Firefox. I think that the problem is piggy web pages and would be fixed by adding RAM (unlikely to be possible on this unit).

A couple of weeks ago I bought a refurb Acer Spin 1 from CC. I replaced Windows with Linux (there's a trick). Very happy. This is the closest model that they still have:
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=120108
Better processor, double the RAM and eMMC (hard drive), touchscreen. 11.6", which I like better than 14" for very casual use.
Dec 19, 2006
77 posts
20 upvotes
Most issue with this kind of laptop is battery, No-name manufactory alway cheap out on battery which is most likely causing issue after few months of normal usage.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3450 posts
2560 upvotes
Ottawa
This is the rare case where the RFD motto "Buy now, think later" is ill advised. Better to reverse it, "Think now, buy later" should be exercised Face With Tears Of Joy
Oct 22, 2004
513 posts
106 upvotes
The specs of this machine are horrific but I can't help but be intrigued by what kind of dumb little things you could do with it.

With a 32GB eMMC and Windows 10, the machine probably has like <5gb of space available and the Atom processor is a real dog.

If it supports Linux you might be talking for a fun little tinker device, but it's going to be really terrible for doing anything like web browsing. Your phone is probably more powerful than this machine.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
3270 posts
3674 upvotes
Stabwound wrote: The specs of this machine are horrific but I can't help but be intrigued by what kind of dumb little things you could do with it.

With a 32GB eMMC and Windows 10, the machine probably has like <5gb of space available and the Atom processor is a real dog.

If it supports Linux you might be talking for a fun little tinker device, but it's going to be really terrible for doing anything like web browsing. Your phone is probably more powerful than this machine.
I actually wanted to buy it (but unfortunately, in store pick up only).

I was going to install windows 7, and then use it as a hearthstone/streaming (it has HDMI out) machine.
Bitcoin will crash hard.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3422 posts
1674 upvotes
Halifax
Stabwound wrote: The specs of this machine are horrific but I can't help but be intrigued by what kind of dumb little things you could do with it.

I have 2 older windows 10 machines with 32 GB that compare with this machine, and as long as your expectations are not unreasonable, they are decent little machines. Some things to be aware of.

I use these mostly for the chrome browser, and older apps. the 2GB does not seem that much of a limitation.

It would be best to live with windows 10. the 32 bit bios was not supported by linux, may be now. I had better luck installing classic shell instead, to make the ui more windows 7 like.

I had to use disk cleaner and use utilities to pare down winsxs, which recovered about 10 gigs. I could have recovered 2 more gigs if I compressed some directories, but I had sufficient space for the apps I use. I have an sd card for the data.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2461 posts
1440 upvotes
GVRD
It's a netbook, believe it or not there are lots of Asus TA100 has this CPU.
Apr 8, 2007
321 posts
23 upvotes
You can probably install chromeos via chromefy or cloudready, then it would actually be usable.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2773 upvotes
Stabwound wrote: With a 32GB eMMC and Windows 10, the machine probably has like <5gb of space available and the Atom processor is a real dog.
We looked at one of those (an Asus) a few months ago to replace an old netbook.

1. It's no longer possible to update Windows because there isn't enough space left to store and run the update, so it just cycles between attempting the update and failing.

2, The 32 Gbyte eMMC is soldered to the motherboard and can't be upgraded.

The stores who still try to sell these should have shipped them back to the manufacturers.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17471 posts
5404 upvotes
Toronto
I have had something similar before and honestly it's a toy. Super slow and junk. I would spend more and buy something a little more durable.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2505 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
if i could put in more RAMs, that might not be that bad.
Apr 30, 2017
278 posts
444 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, Quebec
I could use these at work. I'd install a thin client on it and use it just to run horizon view. It would work great.
Nov 16, 2015
416 posts
738 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The windows license is worth more then this thing.

Too bad it’s not transferable
Aug 24, 2006
918 posts
406 upvotes
Exp315 wrote: We looked at one of those (an Asus) a few months ago to replace an old netbook.

1. It's no longer possible to update Windows because there isn't enough space left to store and run the update, so it just cycles between attempting the update and failing.

2, The 32 Gbyte eMMC is soldered to the motherboard and can't be upgraded.

The stores who still try to sell these should have shipped them back to the manufacturers.
you are mistaken with updating windows, its easy enough. few mothods
1. from a clean setup without apps installed should be fine
2. put major update on flash drive or portable drive you can install that way ( make sure it has additional room) I cant remember for sure but may require two large drives instead
3. delete any windows.old data and turn off backups and delete backups uninstall anything you dont use it may be enough to do the update, otherwise do method 1 or 2,

I have used multiple laptops/tablets with 32gb emmc no issue whatsoever and 100% up to date